While connected to wifi, a cdma device does have the capability of sending/receiving voice and data simultaneously.

What you need to understand is what allows simultaneous voice and data. It is the use of two antennas. With AT&T, which aren't the only ones, you have a gsm antenna and an edge antenna. The two can work at the same time. A cdma antenna is not able to have a simultaneous connection over both voice and data services. There would need to be a second antenna in cdma phones to allow this. With a wifi connection you can have voice over the cdma and data over wifi.

Eat that AT&T, and Verizon's better 3g coverage.
    Thanks Oran! A much needed explanation of simultaneous voice/data for CDMA users. I think this is an excellent point for wanting wifi in a Verizon phone. I might not always be in a wifi hotspot, but at least with the Tour2, when I am connected to wifi I can receive BBMs while I'm on the phone and surf the web while I'm on hold. To me its an added function that, over time, will prove important in using a blackberry to its full potential. (p.s. I hate my storm and cannot wait for the T2! Viva la trackpad!)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-20-10 05:00 AM
    So Feb 3rd still looking good?
    01-20-10 08:45 AM
    While connected to wifi, a cdma device does have the capability of sending/receiving voice and data simultaneously.

What you need to understand is what allows simultaneous voice and data. It is the use of two antennas. With AT&T, which aren't the only ones, you have a gsm antenna and an edge antenna. The two can work at the same time. A cdma antenna is not able to have a simultaneous connection over both voice and data services. There would need to be a second antenna in cdma phones to allow this. With a wifi connection you can have voice over the cdma and data over wifi.

Eat that AT&T, and Verizon's better 3g coverage.
    Ok good explanation on how wifi could be a bonus then , thanks

.... and ready to check out the Tour2(essex) as well hopefully will be this year lol
    01-20-10 09:14 AM
    I just spoke with my corporate rep here in the DC area and he said "the whisper is a release date of March 15". Hoping he is wrong but just passing along the info.
    01-20-10 10:12 AM
    I just spoke with my corporate rep here in the DC area and he said "the whisper is a release date of March 15". Hoping he is wrong but just passing along the info.
    That would be a huge disappointment if true.

Sal, or anybody else, is the first week in Feb still on track?
    01-20-10 11:10 AM
    Any day in March would be perfect for me. I wonder if something changed since Salomon's date of Feb. 3rd. If I were to guess, I was say the week before the Superbowl between Feb. 1st and 5th. It would be ideal IMO. People congregate together for the big game and if we had our hands on the 9650 everyone would see it. I know I would make sure everyone would see mine. Blackberry owners are the best spokes/salespersons for RIM.
    01-20-10 11:17 AM
    So Feb 3rd still looking good?
    i hope sooooo!!!!!
    01-20-10 01:30 PM
    First week of February still sounds perfect over here.
    01-20-10 01:56 PM
    This is from some Tech research on the Asian supply chain...

"The Tour-2 (�Essex�) will launch in the next several months with initial build plans calling for 4-5M in 2010. RIMM orders are expected to ramp in the second half of C1Q10 on account of several new models."
    01-20-10 02:02 PM
    Cool. I was starting to get nervous.....

And thanks!
    01-20-10 02:05 PM
    So stop worrying people. Travis has re-confirmed the time frame for VZW.
    01-20-10 02:24 PM
    I'm not saying there COULDN'T be a delay, but

a) it won't be long
    b) i'm not aware of one currently

Late Q2 is ridiculous..
    01-20-10 02:32 PM
    So stop worrying people. Travis has re-confirmed the time frame for VZW.
    No one is worrying.
    01-20-10 02:35 PM
    Sounds like the first week of February should still hold true :-)
    01-20-10 03:31 PM
    so yeah everyone fear mongering is just crazy…we have both travis and sal saying its early feb…it trust them more then the vzw or sprint reps…
    01-20-10 04:03 PM
    01-21-10 08:18 AM
    Is what true? There is no actual news in the article that you cite.
    01-21-10 08:28 AM
    Is what true? There is no actual news in the article that you cite.
    Initially we were thinking that RIM would release the 9650 sometime in the fall because of the issues the original Tour had.

I hope its not true
    01-21-10 09:36 AM
    The article is saying they thought it would launch Fall 2009 not fall 2010.
    01-21-10 10:25 AM
    The article is saying they thought it would launch Fall 2009 not fall 2010.
    oopppssss my bad then i just hope the release date will be early feb
    01-21-10 10:42 AM
    I hope it comes out like tomorrow
    01-21-10 12:17 PM
    I have some info that I got today, and some of it is encouraging to me. I have a buddy who manages Best Buy in the midwest and he showed me thier inventory system for all cell phones in thier system. It descends in alphebetical order as to how much inventory they have for each device to better prepare them as to when to get ready to make room for new devices and for pricing structure. Obviously I am only concerened with the Tour. It goes in alphebetical order but doesn't neccisarily move in exact increments, for instance if a phone was listed as "c" status it would be hard to believe that it was ready to be cleared out for a new device anytime soon, but could quickly jump down to "w" status, which is what he told me is "the next to last step before clearance" anything marked as "x,y or z" is being pushed as clearence and won't be restocked, as to make room for a new device. About 10 days ago the Tour 9630 was "c" status, today it is "w" status. He added , rarely does he see a device sit at this status for very long. The consumer can see this on the bottem of Best Buy's description and price ticket next to or below the device. All of that got me juiced up so I went to VZW store and my friend said that of course he had not heard anything new but he checked thier system and he said to me that nationwide Verizon has over 96k units left in inventory? seems like alot? He also said that he has never seen a device listed in thier Cellbrite system sit in there for a month without being released and that it is very possible (since the marketing fiasco with the original storm) that they could easily find out about the release at the last minute, and VZW would just drop-ship overnight. Lastly he said to keep a look out for the release of the 5.0 OS, cause "when that is out, the phone should fallow in the next couple of days."
    That is all I have been told today, and I hope that it sounds encouraging? It does to me, but I could be wishing it to happen cause I only have till the 5th of feb for upgrade.
    01-21-10 12:29 PM
    That is certainly good news Teny!!! Thanks!!!
    01-21-10 01:21 PM
    well stated.
    01-21-10 02:07 PM
    woooohoooo!
    01-21-10 02:15 PM
23,186 ... 3839404142 ...