Ginge, I've had the Tour 1, currently have Curve 2 and waiting to get to Tour 2. Def. wait for the Tour 2. I'd say the wifi and optical pad are great. I like the optical pad better than trackball. these were 2 blatant upgrades that Tour 1 was missing.

In my opinion.
    Tour 1 > Curve 2(ever so slightly)...tour is bit faster and screen is much better.

Thanks for the input David... I'm definitely gonna wait... right now I'm using the LG Dare and I am ready to throw it out the window. I am so done with touch screens...
    12-29-09 02:11 PM
    Last time I checked Verizon's website to upgrade, the Storm was $79 and the Tour was $49, after all the discounts and my NE2 credit.
    I just checked today, and the Storm is still $79, but the Tour is Free!

They must be cleaning out the supply chain.
    12-29-09 02:33 PM
    I went into a small verizon store today , and this one being in a small town was empty.

I went to the display to look at the tour and it didnt work because they didnt have any live displays. At any rate , I asked did this tour have wifi ( knowing of course that it didnt ) and the sales rep says " you bet , buddy" !

So I stand there a minute and I say , " are you sure". So he says that he needs to look it up which took 10 minutes ( anyone here could have found the specs in sixty seconds ) .

So anyways , he says that no , it looks like it doesnt. So i suggest that maybe there is a new one coming out with wifi. He says no , no new ones coming out other than the storm 2 a couple of weeks ago.

Okay , looks like I just have to SPELL IT OUT FOR HIM.

So , I say , well , how about the tour 2 or essex ? Model # 9650...............

So , he looks and says yeah , I see that now........... Early 2010.

So anyways , I was trying to be slick about it but this place here was not up to par on anything.
    12-29-09 02:59 PM
    You just gotta remember that most reps are clueless about new devices that are coming out. Yesterday I was at a local Verizon store and asked about the Tour 2. The response was (as she looked at a co-worker) "we are getting a new Tour"? The co-worker said "no".

I left it at that.
    Last edited by ibcop; 12-29-09 at 07:21 PM.
    12-29-09 03:18 PM
    the reps at my store get their info from cb.com. im sure some reps or managers have insider info, but the basic reps (that know anything) seem to get their info from here and other websites/blogs.
    12-29-09 03:24 PM
    The store employees know as much as what is posted on this forum.

Do you think Verizon or Sprint tells them anything? They want them to sell what is in the store, not something months away.

The average cell phone salesperson barely knows the existing products.
    12-29-09 03:26 PM
    I have some info, and please take it for what its worth. As I posted several days ago I said that my buddy manages a Best Buy in the midwest and he showed me thier system info that encrypts the actual device names and reference numbers but had stated that they are to release for sale on jan. 24th, 2 new devices for Sprint. Well today that system shows that Verizon is also set to launch 3 new devices AT BEST BUY on the 24th also! The only other unique info that i could assertian from thier system was the pricing of these devices. One is to retail at $759.00 and would not be made availible to all Best Buy stores, the second is to retail for $499.00 and will be made availible throughout all thier stores, and the third is to retail for $299.00, also to be made availible for all stores! Again, thier system does not state who the manufacturer is but the pricing of one of the Sprint devices has been established at $469.00 to be released the same day! Also my buddy also said that sometimes they get these devices for release up to two weeks after they have been officially released by thier carriers. Thats all the info that I have right now, but will update all of you as I receive more information.
    12-29-09 04:07 PM
    I have some info, and please take it for what its worth. As I posted several days ago I said that my buddy manages a Best Buy in the midwest and he showed me thier system info that encrypts the actual device names and reference numbers but had stated that they are to release for sale on jan. 24th, 2 new devices for Sprint. Well today that system shows that Verizon is also set to launch 3 new devices AT BEST BUY on the 24th also! The only other unique info that i could assertian from thier system was the pricing of these devices. One is to retail at $759.00 and would not be made availible to all Best Buy stores, the second is to retail for $499.00 and will be made availible throughout all thier stores, and the third is to retail for $299.00, also to be made availible for all stores! Again, thier system does not state who the manufacturer is but the pricing of one of the Sprint devices has been established at $469.00 to be released the same day! Also my buddy also said that sometimes they get these devices for release up to two weeks after they have been officially released by thier carriers. Thats all the info that I have right now, but will update all of you as I receive more information.
    More good info, thanks. I would think the Sprint $469 phone has to be the Tour 2. I don't think Sprint has anything else ready to drop that soon, and $469 is way too much to be the 8530. I guess it could possibly be the new LG Android phone Sprint is suppose to be getting, but I'd still say it's most likely the Tour 2.
    12-29-09 04:37 PM
    From a verizon chat:

D*: Hello. Thank you for visiting our chat service. May I help you with your order today?

D*: Are you an existing Verizon Wireless customer?

You: I heard at a verizon store there would be a tour2 out in mid January

You: I don't want to get the tour if there is a new one coming out soon

You: can you tell me anything about that

D*: Yes, it is.

You: What can you tell me about this phone, and I am not a customer, yet.

D*: I really can't tell you anything about the phone.

You: but there is a new one coming out?

D*: Yes it is.

You: any projected date, so I can make a decision today on what to do

D*: No,I don't have any of that information.

You: Ok, thanks, I will keep shopping
    12-29-09 04:38 PM
    the best buy info is interested if true. at the price tag...it sure sounds like the tour 2. if true...we should be hearing details any day now.
    12-29-09 05:15 PM
    I thought the two new devices for Sprint in Jaunary were supposed to be the Curve 8530 in red and purple? That's what I've read before and it kinda makes sense.
    12-29-09 05:47 PM
    More good info, thanks. I would think the Sprint $469 phone has to be the Tour 2. I don't think Sprint has anything else ready to drop that soon, and $469 is way too much to be the 8530. I guess it could possibly be the new LG Android phone Sprint is suppose to be getting, but I'd still say it's most likely the Tour 2.

good news I was in VZW today.... and they was clueless, the rep wanted to get me signed up today and into a VZW device today, I told him i wasnt interested until the new Tour was released. The rep wouldnt budge on information.
    12-29-09 06:10 PM
    It possibly could be Sprints 8530 in those colors, but Best Buy already carries the 8530 for AT&T at a retail price of $399.00 and for Verizon at a price point of $429.00. Seems hard to believe that Sprint would release the same phone even in a different color at a later date, at a higher price point of at least $40.00, at $469.00 almost a month from now???:
    12-29-09 06:18 PM
    Hmmm, maybe a release the first week of January??????

the best buy info is interested if true. at the price tag...it sure sounds like the tour 2. if true...we should be hearing details any day now.
    12-29-09 07:11 PM
    Thanks for posting the information and keep hounding your buddy for more/updated info! It's not much longer!
    12-29-09 07:43 PM
    It would seem that these units would have to be in stores before they were released and at least some training about them.

I can understand the store workers not knowing too far in advance , but it is a safe bet to me that they wont be released next week.

I currently dont have a blackberry and an upcoming trip to Africa has made me decide to get one so that I can have email and internet.

I really want the new 9650 because of the wifi and the trackpad. I might actually be forced to use the wifi at hotels ( if you want to call them that ) that have wifi but no cell signal.

My computer got really bugged up over there on the last trip and I want to see how the blackberry fares over there.

I have to leave mid-January and really dont want to hassle with getting the current tour and then trying to exchange it if the T2 comes out within the 30 day grace period.
    12-29-09 08:01 PM
    I just switched from verizon and a s2 to sprint and a tour. I had asked the manager of the store about the tour 2 and she said january 10th. I wanted to wait but remember all of the dates that kept popping up for the s2 release so i just went with the tour. Figured i have 30 days, so maybe it will surface in the next month. If not i am happy woth the original.
    12-29-09 08:19 PM
    I just switched from verizon and a s2 to sprint and a tour. I had asked the manager of the store about the tour 2 and she said january 10th. I wanted to wait but remember all of the dates that kept popping up for the s2 release so i just went with the tour. Figured i have 30 days, so maybe it will surface in the next month. If not i am happy woth the original.
    That's a good approach to take, but what happens if the 30 days expire and no Tour 2. You give back your Sprint Tour 1 and you have no phone and lose your number.
    12-29-09 09:00 PM
    That's a good approach to take, but what happens if the 30 days expire and no Tour 2. You give back your Sprint Tour 1 and you have no phone and lose your number.
    They answered.
    12-29-09 11:43 PM
    No. Take a look at Best Buy's current Tour price for Sprint. It is way over the $499. retail. Best Buy hikes up the prices Retail.. as we all know.
    12-30-09 12:03 AM
    I can't wait for it to come out!
    12-30-09 02:27 AM
    No. Take a look at Best Buy's current Tour price for Sprint. It is way over the $499. retail. Best Buy hikes up the prices Retail.. as we all know.
    Right you are. I think they have Curve 8330's on the website for llike 500-700> Ridiculous. The phone would be more worth 200 for full retail.
    12-30-09 02:32 AM
    I am in the same boat - I'm on my 30 day time and the rep told me if the Tour 2 doesn't drop within the 30 days, to return the phone, pay the re-stocking fee and go month-to-month until the phone drops. Once it drops, you can go with a contract to get the reduced pricing. Granted, with this option, you must have another Verizon device to use while you are on the month-to-month plan.

I just picked up a brand new, never activated Tour for $200 from Craigslist. Once the Tour 2 is out, I will sell the Tour and re-coup my funds. A win-win situation!
    12-30-09 07:47 AM
    I am in the same boat - I'm on my 30 day time and the rep told me if the Tour 2 doesn't drop within the 30 days, to return the phone, pay the re-stocking fee and go month-to-month until the phone drops. Once it drops, you can go with a contract to get the reduced pricing. Granted, with this option, you must have another Verizon device to use while you are on the month-to-month plan.

I just picked up a brand new, never activated Tour for $200 from Craigslist. Once the Tour 2 is out, I will sell the Tour and re-coup my funds. A win-win situation!
    I have been trying to get a deal on a slightly used tour on ebay , w/o much luck. I briefly considered checking craigs list but figured ebay might be slightly safer. Can somebody tell me what a " bad ESN " is and what I might should watch out for when purchasing a used tour ( to hold me till the T2 comes out) ?
    12-30-09 07:54 AM
    I have been trying to get a deal on a slightly used tour on ebay , w/o much luck. I briefly considered checking craigs list but figured ebay might be slightly safer. Can somebody tell me what a " bad ESN " is and what I might should watch out for when purchasing a used tour ( to hold me till the T2 comes out) ?
    A bad ESN (also known as a IMEI number) is just that - bad. It means the phone is somehow 'blacklisted" and may have been reported lost/stolen or maybe even a pre-production device. In a nut shell, if you get a device with a bad ESN or PIN, you won't be able to get it on the network.

If you are purchasing a Tour, ask the seller for the ESN/IEMI - he or she should give the information to you without hesitation. Then simply call the carrier (in our case, Verizon) and ask them to check the number. If there is a problem, you'll be told about it.

I have had good luck with both eBay and Craigslist - juts look carefully at the seller's eBay rating and such. If your gut tells you something isn't right, move on.

Good luck!
    12-30-09 08:35 AM
23,186 ... 2425262728 ...