seriously this was getting a little outta hand. the posts were getting so long that i just stop reading them hahaha.
    Agreed. I'll shorten my response by just asking a question. Slinky, what exactly do you think RIM should do to quell your fury in the face of the impending release of the Essex? And a follow up: why would releasing the phone in July instead of January be better?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-17-09 04:29 PM
    Agreed. I'll shorten my response by just asking a question. Slinky, what exactly do you think RIM should do to quell your fury in the face of the impending release of the Essex? And a follow up: why would releasing the phone in July instead of January be better?

yeah good question bc if you withold the essex thats also not "consumer friendly" either bc they aren't offering us the best product that they can. just food for thought..
    12-17-09 04:42 PM
    i think a good amount of those can be answered now.
    1) i believe that the bold 9700 and storm 2 are running OS 5.0 and reviews have been favorable thus far noting that the phone seems a lot faster (more so bc of the os than bc of faster cards).
    2) im not exactly sure what a "world phone" is but I didnt think cdma phones were world phones being as i think only North America uses the cdma network. but even if i have this definition wrong - im sure if the tour is a world phone, its upgrade will be too...
    3) if the final version of the essex is the same phone that sal reviewed then the only differences should be the trackpad, wifi and a bumped up 2gb of internal memory (there also could be a faster processor - sal said he didnt really know which chip it was running)
    4) i guess another benefit aside from uma calls would be if you didnt get great service in your house (or parts of your house) and maybe faster internet speed?
    5) i think the only other phone on the horizon is the new pearl and comparing the pearl to the essex is kinda like comparing apples to oranges. (diff target market i believe)
    6) nothing i can help you with here - but there are a few "pre-production" models floating around other than sal's so maybe one of them will post a mini review or what not
    Thank you, ahmunaeatchu. You gave some salient explanations. But I have some pretty solid reasons for the position I've adopted.

You are right that the Bold 9700 and Storm 2 devices seem to be doing very well with OS 5.0, but I am being cautious here. Just because OS 5.0 seems to be doing well with those devices is no reason to assume that the Tour, which was released earlier than those 2 devices, will fare as well if and when the OS is married to its hardware. Also, by a world phone, I mean a CDMA phone equipped with a SIM card, and capable of international use (voice and data). The prominent disadvantage that CDMA phones have is the fact that they don't use SIM cards, and therefore are generally not capable of use overseas. World phones eliminate this handicap. For example, I am currently in the United Kingdom, with my Sprint Tour, and roaming happily on the Vodafone network.

Again, I am being cautious here. Although Crackberry and several other reviewers have dubbed the Essex 'Tour 2,' the label seems presumptuous, since RIM has yet to use that name. Although it seems reasonable to infer that since the Essex is being released to rectify the shortcomings of the current Tour, it will be a world phone as well, I've learned that such logical deductions don't always hold sway. For example, it is not inconceivable that RIM, in an effort to avoid aggravating current Tour owners, will deprive the Essex of world phone capabilities, therefore making the Essex a different phone entirely. Nor has RIM ever attempted to include a CDMA radio, GSM radio (for international capabilities) and wireless in the same unit. Some have expressed doubts that this can be accomplished within the same unit. Trust me, I am hoping that the Essex is a world phone, but the cynic in me is advising caution.

You are also right about the benefits of wireless. Sure, it comes in handy when the signal on the phone is weak. But usually, if I am in a place that has wireless, I have my trusty laptop with me as well, whether it is at home, a coffee shop, at the office or at the airport. It is inconceivable that there will come a day that I will prefer the browsing experience on my Blackberry to that to be had on my laptop. Nor do I greatly value the ability to simultaenously talk and browse on my phone. Hence, I am doubtful that the wireless option would enhance my current use of my phone, especially given what I've already said about UMA calls.

You are absolutely right; it would be downright sacrilegous to compare the Pearl with the Tour (1 or 2), but there are already rumors of upcoming devices by RIM. One such device is the Dakota, which is rumored to feature both a touch screen and a physical keyboard (and perhaps, someday, pigs will sprout wings and take to the skies?). Who knows what other devices are slated to appear? RIM might be slow, but it is pretty innovative, and I am sure it sees the iPhone as a dire threat, which it should.
    So, yeah, I am hopeful that the Essex will be such an improvment over the Tour that I will be convinced to get it, but only time will tell.
    Last edited by Barredbard; 12-17-09 at 05:28 PM.
    12-17-09 04:59 PM

In a perfect world, I think RIM should replace the current Tours that people are having trackball problems with and rack it up as a recall. Give them either the Tour 2, or a Tour 1 with a working trackball assembly (not just the refurbed ones that people get now that RIM "claims" to work - I'm talking new phones). However, I know this is unrealistic and I wouldn't expect this to happen.

Realistically, I think that if the phone is released in January or so, current Tour owners should be able to purchase the phone at the subsidized 2-year contract price instead of full retail. Make it extend their contract if Verizon wants. I understand this is a Verizon decision, but RIM has quite a bit of negotiating power here and could make it happen.

July would be better because at that point, Tour users on Verizon could use their annual upgrade to buy the phone at the 2-year contract price. Same thing happened with the Storm 1/Storm 2.
    Last edited by slinky317; 12-17-09 at 09:31 PM.
    12-17-09 09:26 PM
    In a perfect world, I think RIM should replace the current Tours that people are having trackball problems with and rack it up as a recall. Give them either the Tour 2, or a Tour 1 with a working trackball assembly (not just the refurbed ones that people get now that RIM "claims" to work - I'm talking new phones). However, I know this is unrealistic and I wouldn't expect this to happen.

Realistically, I think that if the phone is released in January or so, current Tour owners should be able to purchase the phone at the subsidized 2-year contract price instead of full retail. Make it extend their contract if Verizon wants. I understand this is a Verizon decision, but RIM has quite a bit of negotiating power here and could make it happen.

July would be better because at that point, Tour users on Verizon could use their annual upgrade to buy the phone at the 2-year contract price. Same thing happened with the Storm 1/Storm 2.
    Hey slinky...I think you should throw yourself on the floor and stop you hands and feet until RIm gives in to your demand.

Just ridiculous...YOU made the decision to be an early adopter of new technology...grow up and accept the consequences...chew on this release after your mommy picks you up.

RIM profit, outlook top forecasts; shares surge | Reuters
    12-17-09 09:34 PM
    does anyone have any info or reason to believe that the tour2 will be swapped in for people with the tour who are having complaints, primarily with the trackball as the trackpad will solve those issues. the wifi is going to be primarily useless for most ppl so im not really concerned about that.
    12-17-09 09:53 PM
    I find it ridiculous the lengths consumers will go in order to get that "fully functioning" device. I learned from my mistake the first time and didn't get a replacement tour after the first one had problems. Just went straight back to the curve. No need to get all upset that the tour didn't work out. It happens.

And no, the tour will not suddenly become obsolete with the release of the 9650 just like other smartphone predecessors don't become obsolete.
    12-17-09 09:55 PM

Well, thanks for the honest answer. Look, you and I just see this stuff differently - no big deal. Like I said, if my Tour's trackball doesn't continue to work properly, I'll keep taking it back until I get one that does. You should do the same. There's no reason you should have to put up with a defective device. Plus, maybe Verizon would exchange it for a Essex. If you're on Tour #4 and you end up needing #5, maybe they'll give you a hookup. The truth of the matter is the RIM answers to Verizon, not the other way around. I guess when Verizon is responsible for 30% of your sales, that's just the way it is.

Oh, and my reply to your answer is that maybe a July release would satisfy you, but countless others would still complain for the same reason. Just go read the Storm 2 forum for confirmation. RIM can't win with this stuff. If the Essex was released 2 months ago, Tour owners complain they got the shaft. If it isn't released until 2011, CDMA Blackberry users will think RIM's giving them the shaft. It's really a no win for them. I think their plans of just releasing the thing when it's ready is probably their best bet. Then just let the chips fall where they will. Nothing we can do about it anyway.

Again, I apologize for thread-jacking. Let the release date rumors continue...
    12-17-09 10:04 PM
    does anyone have any info or reason to believe that the tour2 will be swapped in for people with the tour who are having complaints, primarily with the trackball as the trackpad will solve those issues. the wifi is going to be primarily useless for most ppl so im not really concerned about that.
    As a wild speculation, I'd say maybe. I know Verizon was exchange some Storm 1s with Storm 2s for people having problems with their original Storm. I guess anything's possible.
    12-17-09 10:07 PM
    It was more like verizon replaced alot of storms for the tour becausethe storm two hadn't come out yet and people were pissed that a brand new phone kept freezing.

12-17-09 11:46 PM
    Hey slinky...I think you should throw yourself on the floor and stop you hands and feet until RIm gives in to your demand.

Just ridiculous...YOU made the decision to be an early adopter of new technology...grow up and accept the consequences...chew on this release after your mommy picks you up.
    Could you tell me what part of the Tour was "new technology"? It was all done before by RIM in other phones. If we were talking about the Storm, then you might have had a point. But nothing about the Tour was innovative. It was all done before by RIM previously.

And what do you consider to be an early adopter? Is it the 6-month rule? If so, then everyone who bought a Tour so far is an early adopter. The phone's only been out 5 months.

And by the way, I find it amusing that you're the one calling me immature, when I haven't resorted to ad hominem attacks on anyone yet, and you do it on your first post. Bravo!
    Last edited by slinky317; 12-18-09 at 05:47 AM.
    12-18-09 05:22 AM
    Can the whining and complaining come to an end? Geez, its only a phone! There are better things to worry about than this. If you have a Tour now and a new version comes out, so be it. Either suck it up and get the new one or keep the one you have.

Let's get back on topic.

12-18-09 07:12 AM
    Slinky really wants RIM's popularity to drop. It's already starting to take a little hit because of Android, and releasing a Tour 1.5 in the summer, while the Nexus One, Bravo, Motorola XT800, Calgary, etc drops? Beautiful business move. This phone should had been what the first Tour was, likewise with the Storm 2/1. The sad part is that they both were in the beginning, and but were later nixed. Props to RIM in wanting to correct their mistakes right away, though at the expenses of the early adopters. The majority of CB knew about the essex, and I kept promoting about it before the Tour dropped. They knew a Tour + Wifi was supposed to drop in the 1Q, but this is CDMA. The BB before that was what? 8330 and Storm 1. I don't blame them for not waiting.
    12-18-09 08:01 AM
    Believe it or not, the essex was supposed to be more than just the Tour 2. Couple of BB game changing features were nixed and will be used in future devices. That makes you wonder a little though about RIM coming out with the newer devices, only for a few changes to be given out to the masses. Other companies do the same thing, and people still get excited over it. Economics.
    What other "BB game changing features" are you talking about? Puuhhlleeeeeeaaaaseeee? Pretty please tell us?
    12-18-09 08:24 AM
    I'm sure Jr means the flash support and open GL

12-18-09 08:48 AM
    It always kills me when people say, oh i don't need wi-fi on my phone. The 3G coverage i get is good enough for me. Try sitting in a conference room, with all sorts of other devices housed there, super thick concrete walls, and no signal. I therefore think there is a definite use for wi-fi.
    12-18-09 09:02 AM
    What other "BB game changing features" are you talking about? Puuhhlleeeeeeaaaaseeee? Pretty please tell us?
    I think he's probably referring to the newer camera technology that some had speculated would be included on the Essex.

12-18-09 09:05 AM
    Slinky really wants RIM's popularity to drop.
    Not necessarily true. I want RIM to stop releasing phones that have the problems that the Storm 1 and Tour 1 had, only to release the "sequel" phone with the bugs fixed shortly thereafter (although the Storm 2 was a year, which is a little acceptable). If this means that they have to take a hit in marketshare for them to get the message, then so be it. But ultimately I want to see RIM on top - with good, quality products all around.
    12-18-09 09:31 AM
    Not necessarily true. I want RIM to stop releasing phones that have the problems that the Storm 1 and Tour 1 had, only to release the "sequel" phone with the bugs fixed shortly thereafter (although the Storm 2 was a year, which is a little acceptable). If this means that they have to take a hit in marketshare for them to get the message, then so be it. But ultimately I want to see RIM on top - with good, quality products all around.
    Oh, I definitely agree and that's why I don't promote devices anymore. I'll test the device and give out my input based on my phone, and think it should be the same for all. This is why I always tell people don't study a insider/blogger words as gold, just be your own critic.
    12-18-09 09:44 AM
    So I finally entered the BB world, and got a Tour this week. I check out this site, and find out that a new version of the phone I just bought is being released pretty soon. I understand that there is always a possibility of this happening, so I am not complaining. But I am trying to figure out any action I should take. I have 30 days to return my Tour. Is there any further info if the Tour2 will be released in the next few weeks, or is it more like months away? Any thoughts on whether I should return the Tour and wait for the Tour2
    12-18-09 09:54 AM
    So I finally entered the BB world, and got a Tour this week. I check out this site, and find out that a new version of the phone I just bought is being released pretty soon. I understand that there is always a possibility of this happening, so I am not complaining. But I am trying to figure out any action I should take. I have 30 days to return my Tour. Is there any further info if the Tour2 will be released in the next few weeks, or is it more like months away? Any thoughts on whether I should return the Tour and wait for the Tour2
    Best guess is that we'll see the Essex by the end of January. I wouldn't count on it coming out before the end of your 30 day trial. My advice to you would be that if you'd really like WiFi or a trackpad instead of a trackball, then you may want to consider returning your Tour and waiting for the Essex. However, if you like your Tour the way it is, you might as well just keep it. No one has a firm release date on the Essex yet, and we could be waiting a lot longer then we think. In the end, it's more about what you'd like on your phone than it is about when the Essex is going to be released.

12-18-09 10:00 AM
    Also, the Essex may raise the price back up to $200. Just something else to keep in mind. Welcome to the world of BB!

12-18-09 10:03 AM
    i am not concerned with a few extra bucks, i am going to be stuck with this phone for the next two years, so i just want the best one for me. i don't have experience with the trackball, so i don't know how a trackpad would be. but wifi is better than not having wifi, and i have also been hearing that there have been a lot of problems with the tour, so i would want one that doesn't have those issues.
    12-18-09 10:47 AM
    I would return your 9630 prior to the 30 day notice and just wait for the T2. I'm thinking/hoping that the T2 will be out sometime in January without a lot of publicity from VZW or RIM (see Storm 2 release)
    12-18-09 10:52 AM
    i am not concerned with a few extra bucks, i am going to be stuck with this phone for the next two years, so i just want the best one for me. i don't have experience with the trackball, so i don't know how a trackpad would be. but wifi is better than not having wifi, and i have also been hearing that there have been a lot of problems with the tour, so i would want one that doesn't have those issues.
    i would recommend returning the tour1 as well and waiting. i think the essex will release some time in january and most of the evidence seems to support that.
    also like you said, its better to have options (wifi) and not use it then realize you need them and not have it.
    12-18-09 11:00 AM
23,186 ... 1617181920 ...