An unlocked GSM phone lets you put in any SIM card you want.

When I am buying used or off EBay, I find it simpler to get a network branded phone, even if it is unlocked. My family plan for the wife and 2 kids is T-Mobile. I have been off contract for years and buying phones as needed off EBay. The time we got one branded AT&T, it worked, but had menu items and stuff that would not work. There are so many unlocked T-Mobile phones, I decided why bother.
    11-21-09 10:10 PM
    Hm.. why is everyone thinking the phone will be released in the next month or so? Did I miss something? I was thinking it'd be around May next year... Seems too soon to release a "Tour 2" when the Tour hasn't even been around very long!
    Although VZW did just recently release a new Curve and Storm.. Hm. Maybe they'll release the Essex and the Striker around the same time frame?
    11-22-09 03:48 AM
    An unlocked GSM phone lets you put in any SIM card you want.

When I am buying used or off EBay, I find it simpler to get a network branded phone, even if it is unlocked. My family plan for the wife and 2 kids is T-Mobile. I have been off contract for years and buying phones as needed off EBay. The time we got one branded AT&T, it worked, but had menu items and stuff that would not work. There are so many unlocked T-Mobile phones, I decided why bother.
    What about CDMA phones? im on verizon so can i only buy verizon phones or can i also buy unlocked sprint phones?
    11-22-09 10:21 AM
    Sprint phones are GSM I believe and won't work on Verizons network.

EDIT - Sprint is CDMA too, just checked. Not sure if they'll work or not.
    11-22-09 04:31 PM
    Unlocked or not Sprint only works on Sprint and Verizon only works on Verizon. Both companies only activate phones branded by them... If you try and activate it when you give them the ESN it will not allow them to activate it, and will tell them its not one of their phones.
    11-22-09 06:15 PM
    Unlocked or not Sprint only works on Sprint and Verizon only works on Verizon. Both companies only activate phones branded by them... If you try and activate it when you give them the ESN it will not allow them to activate it, and will tell them its not one of their phones.
    cool thanks a lot.
    11-22-09 07:19 PM
    I haven't been following Sal too long, but with the few giveaways I have seen, the devices have come out within a few weeks.
    I have to agree with you. The storm2 was reviewed like a month or so before it was actually released.

The 8700 was reviewed like 2-3 weeks before it was released.

If this is a trend and sal is on his normal coarse then the 9100 and the essex should be here before christmas. Don't quote me but I just hope the essex is out by christmas, it would be awesome so have it around to show off to the family. Lol

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-22-09 11:24 PM
    I just hope it's out by the time my NE2 comes up at the end of January.
    11-23-09 05:52 AM
    i jumped from the storm to the iphone...but ATT service has me looking to go back to verizon and BB. eagerly waiting for the essex....
    11-23-09 04:23 PM
    If the Tour is meeting your current needs, then keep it.

If the track pad and wifi are important to you, then wait.
    These are important to me.... I want them... so for now my 8330 will do.
    11-23-09 04:41 PM
    Isn't that kinda the rule with all technology? As soon as you buy it, its outdated for the next better model?

What VZW site are you on? I just checked and its $149
    Yes you're right on both accounts. I just have to laugh at most of you throwing out release dates. Use you heads for one minute and realize that RIM is just simply not going to trash the "Tour 1" yet. The spent a lot of time and money on the development of the Tour and the are going to make sure that they get the max return out of that investment before they bring out a new model/ Tour 2. Look for 3Q at the earliest.
    11-23-09 08:35 PM
    Yes you're right on both accounts. I just have to laugh at most of you throwing out release dates. Use you heads for one minute and realize that RIM is just simply not going to trash the "Tour 1" yet. The spent a lot of time and money on the development of the Tour and the are going to make sure that they get the max return out of that investment before they bring out a new model/ Tour 2. Look for 3Q at the earliest.
    I don't think it'd be trashing the Tour1 by having the Essex out soon. It's very easy to position it as a Tour "with wifi if you need it." I'd be very surprised if it were called a Tour2 anyway. THAT would make earlier customers feel let down. But a Tour with a trackpad and wifi if you need it? Not entirely crazy.

Verizon... Bring it! :-) I Just played with 8530 today and loved the trackpad and wifi. Also played with a Tour an hour later and realized how good it could be if it too had a trackpad and wifi! :-)
    11-23-09 10:35 PM
    i would gladly change my Tour for this one
    11-23-09 10:49 PM
    Look for 3Q at the earliest.
    Hahaha. No way it takes that long for the Essex to come out.
    11-23-09 11:16 PM
    It was definitely interesting for Kevin to mention they were "ramping up production" to get out the door soon. I can't imagine it's too much work to make the few changes and start cranking these through production but right now I'm really hard pressed not to get a Tour. For $149 off Verizon's site, probably the same price for my business discount, plus I have a $100 credit, it could be had for $50.... I'm too impatient.

One of the primary drawbacks to date is the fact that this phone doesn't have OS 5.0. I'd have to imagine the 5.0 will come out shortly though.
    11-23-09 11:20 PM
    I'm looking forward to the new Tour2 as well, hopefully VZW will offer customer with a sweet deal, especially those who purchased the first Tour.
    And it begins.

11-24-09 05:39 AM
    Sprint phones are GSM I believe and won't work on Verizons network.

EDIT - Sprint is CDMA too, just checked. Not sure if they'll work or not.
    Sprint phones are CDMA just like Verizon
    11-24-09 06:22 AM
    Your post reminds me of the Vista / Windows 7 Debacle. There are improvements to be had and the Tour 1 has lost most of it's hype. I'm not on either side of this argument, I'm just working off of wishful thinking, hoping it's out soon but from a business standpoint, RIM may wait until after XMas. But then again, maybe not. With iPizzle 3gS doing it's rounds on the advertisements, I can only hope RIM's response to them is a bombardment of new phones.

PLUS: BlackBerry Tour high return claims ruffle a few feathers… � Gadgetsteria
    Last edited by GrueBlock; 11-24-09 at 12:21 PM.
    11-24-09 11:57 AM
    IMO, they will just make the Tour 1 (9630) an entry level phone, perhaps for free with contract.
    11-24-09 01:58 PM
    Uuhh dude, its not a completely revamped/redesigned phone. What are you talking about ??!

They added trackpad and wifi. Max return from a trackball design? Its the exact same phone!
    11-24-09 02:42 PM
    Uuhh dude, its not a completely revamped/redesigned phone. What are you talking about ??!

They added trackpad and wifi. Max return from a trackball design? Its the exact same phone!
    exactly! it def won't be Q3...by then there will be a whole new other set of BB's out probably. it has to be much earlier. dec/jan i think.
    11-24-09 03:11 PM
    I hope it's not too soon. I went into a VZW store to try out the new Curve2 with the trackpad, and I've concluded that I don't like the trackpad. I like the trackball better. I was stumped whether to get the new curve2 or Tour, and I think I'm going with the Tour even tho the curve2 has more features for the money.

I have pretty dry/clammy fingers most the time, and the trackpad just takes away control from me, it doesn't work for me as well as the ball. And WiFi? Who needs it, I rarely use the browser, and when I do, I usually have service. Also Curve2 felt cheap (which it is
    11-24-09 03:50 PM
    I hope it's not too soon. I went into a VZW store to try out the new Curve2 with the trackpad, and I've concluded that I don't like the trackpad. I like the trackball better. I was stumped whether to get the new curve2 or Tour, and I think I'm going with the Tour even tho the curve2 has more features for the money.

I have pretty dry/clammy fingers most the time, and the trackpad just takes away control from me, it doesn't work for me as well as the ball. And WiFi? Who needs it, I rarely use the browser, and when I do, I usually have service. Also Curve2 felt cheap (which it is
    Well, to each his/her own. All I would say is that if you like the trackball more than the trackpad, you'd better get your BB now. From the look of RIM's lineup, I'd bet the trackball is a thing of the past by the end of next year.

11-24-09 04:08 PM
    Waiting on my Tour 2; any update on expected release date?
    11-25-09 09:05 AM
    Did they ever fix the loose battery door on the tour 1. Hopefully they fix this on new model if not already fixed.

11-25-09 09:14 AM
23,186 ... 56789 ...