Well, I have 2 upgrades available for the essex, so all I have to do is be patient until they drop.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-16-09 11:16 PM
    so, I have never had a blackberry before...

hypothetically, if the Essex is to be released soon (before end of year 2009) how long should I wait for an announcement after the Curve 8530 is released on Nov 20? I am eligible for a Verizon upgrade and I would like to get my first blackberry soon, but the low-res screen of the curve is a real downfall...
    11-17-09 02:10 AM
    I'm not sure if this has been mentioned already, but this phone should drop way before Q2 2010. During his recent chat, David Owens confirmed they (Sprint) had a WiFi Tour coming out while at the same time he refused to comment on the 2010 Blackberry lineup. For me, this all but confirms that the Essex is going to launch soon. If Owens thought the Essex wasn't going to be available until late Q1 or Q2 2010, he wouldn't have said anything about the phone. The fact that he states he's not going to talk about the 2010 BB lineup but then still talks about the Tour 2 has to mean this phone is set to drop soon.

Some quotes:

Question: Will Sprint be getting any blackberries with wifi this year?

Owens:
    today sprint offers the BB tour which includes wifi.

Owens:
    hang on a minute i went a little fast, we are adding wifi to tour and will have other bb products that include wifi going forward

Question:
    Will Sprint be getting any touchscreen blackberries like the storm 2?

Owens:
    Not commenting on 2010 roadmap, but we'll have a robust BB line-up.
    I would think they will probably have the Curve 2 before the Essex, which also has Wifi. It's more likely the BB he was talking about getting first would be the 8530.
    11-17-09 06:57 AM
    The day of the Droid release I was speaking with the manager of a corporate store, and yes, I know, they all know nothing, she told me that there would be 12 new phones coming out before Christmas and she believed the Tour2 would be one of them. Of course, that does mean nothing, I know

Details on Verizon's Holiday Phone Lineup - Verizon - Gizmodo
    11-17-09 05:17 PM
    so, I have never had a blackberry before...

hypothetically, if the Essex is to be released soon (before end of year 2009) how long should I wait for an announcement after the Curve 8530 is released on Nov 20? I am eligible for a Verizon upgrade and I would like to get my first blackberry soon, but the low-res screen of the curve is a real downfall...
    There is no way to know. We just have to wait for an announcement.

11-17-09 05:55 PM
    man tmoblie has the tour 2 which they call the bold but its out now with tmolbe why cant sprint get it. i have 3 days left to take my tour back or i am stuck with it.
    11-17-09 07:35 PM
    i was told at sprint that you can only change phones once. when you take back a phone and changed it thats it you cant change it twice.
    11-17-09 07:48 PM
    i was told at sprint that you can only change phones once. when you take back a phone and changed it thats it you cant change it twice.
    that's not true. i know someone who exchanged phones twice. they went from flip, to QWERTY, to blackberry.
    11-17-09 08:04 PM
    i am going to check then
    11-17-09 08:25 PM
    man tmoblie has the tour 2 which they call the bold but its out now with tmolbe why cant sprint get it. i have 3 days left to take my tour back or i am stuck with it.
    No T-Mobile has the 9700, which isn't the Tour 2.
    11-18-09 02:55 PM
    i am eligible for an upgrade. i was going to get the Tour, but then I saw all this about the Essex maybe before Christmas....... this sucks. I guess all I can do is wait and see for sure...
    11-18-09 05:22 PM
    Being from the UK i think that all we have here is GSM/GPRS/3G etc, being a CDMA phone does that mean it has no option for a simcard and what would happen if u did get it unlocked and use a UK simcard in it?
    If it's a world phone, then it has a simcard slot, bit the SIM has nothing whatsoever to do with CDMA1x/EVDO. Furthermore, almost all the CDMA1x networks in Europe are on 450MHz, which the Blackberry world phones do not support.

If the Essex is like the Storm2 or Tour for Verizon, then you'd be looking at the following frequencies.

CDMA1x/EVDO
    800MHz/1900MHz
    GSM/EDGE
    800/900/1800/1900
    UMTS/HSDPA/WCDMA 3G

So as you can see the 3G frequencies are the 2100MHz UMTS standard for Europe and Asia and the 1900MHz EVDO standard for North and South American CDMA. The SIM affects the GSM and UMTS, but not the CDMA.

But lately on the GSM side of things Blackberry has been upping their frequency support. Whereas a Vodafone Storm2 merely has the four GSM/EDGE frequencies plus UMTS 2100, the Bold 9700 supports UMTS on six different frequencies. That's 3G on 800/850/900/1700/1900/2100 if you're keeping count. So there you truly have a world GSM phone with worldwide 3G. For a UK-based account, that's the kind of thing I'd think you want; CDMA1x on any frequency other than 450MHz is not going to do you much good unless you're planning to move to the Americas.
    11-18-09 09:26 PM
    If it's a world phone, then it has a simcard slot, bit the SIM has nothing whatsoever to do with CDMA1x/EVDO. Furthermore, almost all the CDMA1x networks in Europe are on 450MHz, which the Blackberry world phones do not support.

If the Essex is like the Storm2 or Tour for Verizon, then you'd be looking at the following frequencies.

CDMA1x/EVDO
    800MHz/1900MHz
    GSM/EDGE
    800/900/1800/1900
    UMTS/HSDPA/WCDMA 3G

So as you can see the 3G frequencies are the 2100MHz UMTS standard for Europe and Asia and the 1900MHz EVDO standard for North and South American CDMA. The SIM affects the GSM and UMTS, but not the CDMA.

But lately on the GSM side of things Blackberry has been upping their frequency support. Whereas a Vodafone Storm2 merely has the four GSM/EDGE frequencies plus UMTS 2100, the Bold 9700 supports UMTS on six different frequencies. That's 3G on 800/850/900/1700/1900/2100 if you're keeping count. So there you truly have a world GSM phone with worldwide 3G. For a UK-based account, that's the kind of thing I'd think you want; CDMA1x on any frequency other than 450MHz is not going to do you much good unless you're planning to move to the Americas.
    Wow thank you for the info, atleast some people can talk some sense on this forum :P nothing bad intended ofcourse lol
    11-19-09 05:49 AM
    Tour release date is two weeks boys. Before christmas
    11-19-09 07:26 AM
    Where are you getting your information?

11-19-09 08:07 AM
    The fact that Salomondrin is giving away an essex in 2 weeks tells me that it will be coming out within 3 weeks.
    11-19-09 08:48 AM
    The fact that Salomondrin is giving away an essex in 2 weeks tells me that it will be coming out within 3 weeks.
    Sal's generosity doesn't mean this phone is coming out in 3 weeks. It's not coming out this quarter.
    11-19-09 08:56 AM
    I can't disclose how/where I picked this up from, but a person was being rather vague in response to a problem I was having with my Tour and mentioned they would have a "fix" available around 12 December and advised me to hold onto the box/accessories that came with my Tour. Does this confirm a Tour2? No, but certainly seems interesting and possibly lines up with other things being said.
    11-19-09 09:01 AM
    Hmmm. You think the Essex will be making its debut in 2 weeks? That's what is regarded in certain circles as a pipe dream. As in watching the smoke trail from the end of the pipe with a dreamy, bemused expression. If the Essex 2 makes its debut before 3 months have elapsed, I'll be shocked.
    11-19-09 09:18 AM
    Sal's generosity doesn't mean this phone is coming out in 3 weeks. It's not coming out this quarter.
    I haven't been following Sal too long, but with the few giveaways I have seen, the devices have come out within a few weeks.
    11-19-09 09:33 AM

CDMA1x/EVDO
    800MHz/1900MHz
    GSM/EDGE
    800/900/1800/1900
    UMTS/HSDPA/WCDMA 3G

If its a world phone you get a simcard slot and you will have 3g speeds in europe... so he wioll be good, if not its useless
    11-19-09 10:49 AM
    hey all im new to this forum and blackberries.
    if I'm eligible for an upgrade. can i upgrade to the 8530 and then switch to the tour2 (assuming it comes out within 30 days of my purchase) and still get the "upgrade" price on the tour2? I'm on VZ if that helps. Thanks!
    11-19-09 12:51 PM
    As much as I would love for that to happen, it doesn't seem realistic at all. If the release date was really coming up so soon much more information would have leaked by now. I think that we would've heard something from Kevin or Crucial if this was really true.
    11-19-09 01:01 PM
    i hope we get some info real soon! my upgrade is in december and i really want the essex!
    11-19-09 01:08 PM
    I think the first sign will be when the current Tour gets discounted.
    That is what happened with the Storm 1.

Right now, with all the discounts including my NET $100 off, the Storm 2 is 79, and the Tour is 49. All the other BB are free.
    11-19-09 04:49 PM
23,186 ... 34567 ...