All I can say is.....

Hey, long time; no see.

What we need is a good Hitler video, complaining about RIM. LOL!!!
    06-06-11 03:26 PM
    All I can say is.....

Thanks I love that song!
    06-06-11 03:32 PM
    I wonder how many Palm faithful continued to deflect suggestions that Palm was fading fast right up to the bitter end?
    06-06-11 03:37 PM
    I wonder how many Palm faithful continued to deflect suggestions that Palm was fading fast right up to the bitter end?
    To be fair, Palm does still exist, just different ownership of the company and rebranded. And they still have their dedicated users.
    Last edited by rmjones101; 06-06-11 at 03:49 PM.
    06-06-11 03:45 PM
    Of course it's drm free, you don't "have" any of the content...
    Actually the way they described it, you do. When you make a purchase on one iDevice, the song is pushed from the iCloud to each of your iDevices setup with that iTunes ID, up to 10. The content is stored locally on each individual device. You are not downloading the song from the cloud each time you want to listen and when you don't see the cloud the content doesn't go away.
    06-06-11 03:46 PM
    cloud music services are an excuse to push and enforce drm to a higher level... But I understand that people gobble that crap up as an "evolution"...
    So they're enforcing DRM by adding the ways you can consume and store it, increasing the available devices, and eliminating the need to back-up purchased items? Sounds awful.
    06-06-11 04:02 PM
    So they're enforcing DRM by adding the ways you can consume and store it, increasing the available devices, and eliminating the need to back-up purchased items? Sounds awful.
    The reason you need to backup purchased items in the first place is due to limited download restrictions in the first place, which is a form of drm....

It's the new form of control, but I get it, people are jumping on board happily and not questioning anything...
    06-06-11 04:08 PM
    Of course it's drm free, you don't "have" any of the content...
    I don't think you understand. You can still store all your music on your computer, or your iPhone, or your iPad, whatever. This isn't an either/or type thing. For purchased content, it's not streaming, but rather the option of automatically pushing content to devices and/or redownloading.

Have whatever opinion of it you like, but it would be a lot more effective if it was based on facts as opposed to your inaccurate belief of how "iCloud" works.
    06-06-11 04:09 PM
    So essentially you are replacing cdn servers with cloud servers... Instead of downloading content to 10 different devices from a cdn server, now it's a "cloud"...

I get it... Revolutionary... They never had a system for pushing content locally to multiple devices from a server before, ever...
    lnichols likes this.
    06-06-11 04:14 PM
    So essentially you are replacing cdn servers with cloud servers... Instead of downloading content to 10 different devices from a cdn server, now it's a "cloud"...

I get it... Revolutionary... They never had a system for pushing content locally to multiple devices from a server before, ever...
    Of course they did. . . it's how the App Store works. But the music labels never before permitted re-downloading, which they now have, and they did it WITHOUT otherwise altering the limited amount of freedom users have. In reading your comments, it sounds as though you think they took something else away in return for the extra capability, but they really haven't. Anyone who wants to continue to only store their data locally can do so, with the additional ability to consume that data on a greater number of devices and/or re-download without limits.
    06-06-11 04:19 PM
    The single biggest issue with cloud computing is that the rules can change and your entire library is subject to whatever those changes become. Counting all the roses on a not-yet-released service and how it's across the board better is fine, go for it.

Also if this isn't a way to lock users into itunes-only purchases (and re-purchases) for good I don't know what is...
    06-06-11 04:30 PM
    Of course they did. . . it's how the App Store works. But the music labels never before permitted re-downloading, which they now have, and they did it WITHOUT otherwise altering the limited amount of freedom users have. In reading your comments, it sounds as though you think they took something else away in return for the extra capability, but they really haven't. Anyone who wants to continue to only store their data locally can do so, with the additional ability to consume that data on a greater number of devices and/or re-download without limits.
    Exactly. As it stands right now, I can buy a song in iTunes and move it to another device since it's DRM free. That won't change. Apple is simply making it easier to keep all your media in sync across your devices. They aren't taking away functionality. So we all still have the option of downloading and keeping the songs on our hard drives and moving them however we like. It's just with the cloud everything is easily in sync with each other and moved to other devices. I don't see how anyone sees that as an issue. Just making up stuff to be mad at.
    06-06-11 04:44 PM
    I didn't make this thread to just troll. I've NEVER EVER been a fan of the iPhone or any Apple product. I've always said that to anyone that asked me "Oh why don't you have an iPhone instead of a BlackBerry/Android?".

But with the iOS5 features, everything I've hated about the iPhone (No notifications, no good messaging app, not so good push notifications, on-screen keyboard) just got fixed, except for the on-screen keyboard.

I've always been a CrackBerry, when I got my first Berry, I made everyone I knew get a BlackBerry and every did (my brothers, my parents, and some friends).

But to be real and honest, RIM has been behind the game for some time now. Today, virtually every smartphone has a front-facing camera, HD video recording, dual-processors, and insanely huge marketplace.

Backing up to the release of the original Torch: Android was already using 1GHz Processors while the Torch had 624 MHz Processor. Android already had Flash, while the Torch only had full HTML browsing. Smartphones were using 5MP Camera with HD, while the Torch only had a 5MP with no HD, Android was using AMOLED screens and iPhone was using Retina Display while BlackBerrys had normal LCD screens.

Today: Android has Super LCD, Super AMOLED, AMOLED displays, dual-processors, 8MP cameras with HD, FULL (with flash) web experience, insanely huge active marketplace, 3D phones, 4G (LTE, WiMax, HSPA+), Front Facing Cameras, 1GB RAM, Free turn-by-turn navigation, Wireless Tethering.

iPhone has retina display, 1GHz Processor, amazing 5MP camera with HD, full HTML web, insanely huge active marketplace, HSPA+, Front Facing Camera, 512MB RAM, Free turn-by-turn navigation, Wireless Tethering.

What's the best thing RIM came up with to compete with today's smarthphones?
    The Torch 2 which has: 1.2GHz processor (that's a +), VGA display, 512 MB RAM, 5MP Camera with HD, BlackBerry App Store, HSPA, Wireless Tethering.

What's missing? Front Facing Camera, insanely huge active marketplace, more RAM, better screen, Flash support (it was announced it was coming to BlackBerry but when?), some kind of official 4G, and free navigation.

It seems they are always behind a year .
    Last edited by Shad0w26; 06-06-11 at 07:55 PM.
    06-06-11 07:39 PM
    To prove I'm not trolling, I've NEVER EVER been a fan of the iPhone or any Apple product. I've always said that to anyone that asked me "Oh why don't you have an iPhone instead of a BlackBerry/Android?".

But with the iOS5 features, everything I've hated about the iPhone (No notifications, no good messaging app, not so good push notifications, on-screen keyboard) just got fixed, except for the on-screen keyboard.

I've always been a CrackBerry, when I got my first Berry, I made everyone I knew get a BlackBerry and every did (my brothers, my parents, and some friends).

But to be real and honest, RIM has been behind the game for some time now. Today, virtually every smartphone has a front-facing camera, HD video recording, dual-processors, and insanely huge marketplace.

Backing up to the release of the original Torch: Android was already using 1GHz Processors while the Torch had 624 MHz Processor. Android already had Flash, while the Torch only had full HTML browsing. Smartphones were using 5MP Camera with HD, while the Torch only had a 5MP with no HD, Android was using AMOLED screens and iPhone was using Retina Display while BlackBerrys had normal LCD screens.

Today: Android has Super LCD, Super AMOLED, AMOLED displays, dual-processors, 8MP cameras with HD, FULL (with flash) web experience, insanely huge active marketplace, 3D phones, 4G (LTE, WiMax, HSPA+), Front Facing Cameras, 1GB RAM, Free turn-by-turn navigation, Wireless Tethering.

iPhone has retina display, 1GHz Processor, amazing 5MP camera with HD, full HTML web, insanely huge active marketplace, HSPA+, Front Facing Camera, 512MB RAM, Free turn-by-turn navigation, Wireless Tethering.

What's the best thing RIM came up with to compete with today's smarthphones?
    The Torch 2 which has: 1.2GHz processor (that's a +), VGA display, 512 MB RAM, 5MP Camera with HD, BlackBerry App Store, HSPA, Wireless Tethering.

What's missing? Front Facing Camera, insanely huge active marketplace, more RAM, better screen, Flash support (it was announced it was coming to BlackBerry but when?), some kind of official 4G, and free navigation.

I guess this is proof that you are not trolling.
    06-06-11 07:49 PM
    I guess this is proof that you are not trolling.
    Should the OP add "I love RIM and BB, they are the best ever!" in his post? Would that exclude him from the troll lineup?
    06-06-11 08:04 PM
    RIMs stock was down about .18%. I honestly was expecting it go down my 5% to 7% after seeing how RIMs popular messaging app is being copied. On one hand I am happy Apple finally decided to add notifications the right way. I've always wanted a Iphone but its notification system held me back from making the jump. As for BB, I love the security and the easy to use software, but its getting rather old. Plus, I haven't seen any decent upgrade that makes me want to switch devides.

All in all, its RIM management that is bothering me. I am beyond confused as to what strategy they are going for. Lack of good PR and a loser as CEO only makes things more complicated.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-06-11 08:14 PM
    Should the OP add "I love RIM and BB, they are the best ever!" in his post? Would that exclude him from the troll lineup?
    Exactly. Around here people have to preface their statements with "I'm not an Apple fan boy" so the overly defensive people won't call them trolls. Funny stuff though.
    06-06-11 08:14 PM
    To be fair, Palm does still exist, just different ownership of the company and rebranded. And they still have their dedicated users.
    Yes, they do--all 12 of them.
    06-06-11 08:15 PM
    Still no mention of better multitasking, task switching and for all the fuss about icloud, I would like it better if it wasn't such a chore getting files onto my ipad with 3rd party apps.
    I think the point is that people will have fewer reasons to stick with BB, now that a similar messaging program will be coming to such a popular platform as iOS (I am NOT an Apple fan!).
    06-06-11 08:18 PM
    I don't think this is the end of RIM at all but iMessage will adapt fast because of the rate that iOS devices are selling. It's not just about the iPhone. The iPods and iPads because many of those users don't have iPhones. Now they can chat with their friends that do have iPhones. If Apple really wants to kill RIM and make it a 2-man race (which is pretty much been anyway for the last couple years) between them and google is get the device out on all carriers or at least make a pentaband phone that is compatible with everyone's 3G network. If they did either one of those.... game over for RIM. Seriously.
    06-06-11 08:24 PM
    iOS 5 works with specialized hardware accessories. The LED flash and custom vibration settings let you see and feel when someone’s calling...
    next iPhone with notification light ?
    06-06-11 11:45 PM

What's missing? Front Facing Camera, , and free navigation.

Blackberry Traffic is a free navigation and its an excellent product. Not a vocal turn by turn but very, very accurate road work/accident report.

HSPA is what is the initial step to 4G. There are very few phones on the marketplace currently that is absolutely compatible with 4G. I think Droid X is, not sure if HTC T-bolt is. However the 4G network isn't even slated to roll out until summer according the At&T and I guess VZW won't be far behind. That being said 4G will still only be available in select cities.

You neglect to make another comparison which everyone seems to overlook. The data compression of a Blackberry is far superior to any phone out on the marketplace as well as it's security.

Data compression for a BB will get you 5000 texts/emails/BBM messages compared to 2500 for iPhones and Androids.

I can open every attachment I get from work and I still wouldn't chew more then 50 mb of data, but my colleague with her iPhone will blow through a 1 GB doing that. Thus she has to be more selective on how she handles her emails and attachments.

An insanely large app library while sounding marvellous isn't the main selling point for a "Smartphone". I don't know if that's the first thing on anybody's mind.

So yes if you look at just hardware specs then BBs seems slower and a year behind, but you need to look a little further then just the hard specs of a phone and see how the OS handles data and functionality.
    06-07-11 12:17 AM
    Blackberry Traffic is a free navigation and its an excellent product. Not a vocal turn by turn but very, very accurate road work/accident report.

HSPA is what is the initial step to 4G. There are very few phones on the marketplace currently that is absolutely compatible with 4G. I think Droid X is, not sure if HTC T-bolt is. However the 4G network isn't even slated to roll out until summer according the At&T and I guess VZW won't be far behind. That being said 4G will still only be available in select cities.

You neglect to make another comparison which everyone seems to overlook. The data compression of a Blackberry is far superior to any phone out on the marketplace as well as it's security.

Data compression for a BB will get you 5000 texts/emails/BBM messages compared to 2500 for iPhones and Androids.

I can open every attachment I get from work and I still wouldn't chew more then 50 mb of data, but my colleague with her iPhone will blow through a 1 GB doing that. Thus she has to be more selective on how she handles her emails and attachments.

An insanely large app library while sounding marvellous isn't the main selling point for a "Smartphone". I don't know if that's the first thing on anybody's mind.

So yes if you look at just hardware specs then BBs seems slower and a year behind, but you need to look a little further then just the hard specs of a phone and see how the OS handles data and functionality.
    Data compression isn't even really an argument anymore imo. The price difference for Canadians from 1GB of data to 6 GB is about $30/month. I can see this being an issue if your a teenager and mom and dad pay your bill..but for any grown a$$ adult if $30 makes or breaks you..

And as for Americans..they're plans are just ridiculously cheap compared to ours. You can get unlimited text, unlimited NATIONwide calling (yes..this means long distance) AND unlimited data for $80/month. If anything..networks should be paying people to use BB's so that it cuts down on network traffic..
    06-07-11 08:39 AM
    No, the "4G" variant of HSPA is HSPA+, which is what T-Mobile is using and touting as "4G." Verizon uses LTE, and began its rollout last fall. It is AT&T that trails Verizon in 4G adoption.

While some people may be concerned about data compression, saying that the BB allows 160 e-mails a day in the space other devices send 80 is only going to appeal to hard-core users. I don't think I've sent 80 emails in the last *week* from my phone.

As you once asked in a response to my comment, I'd love to see the "study" that says the BB can reduce the amount of data needed to view attachments by 95%.

This is a rather broad statement, and trust my, "large app library" is the first thing on somebody's mind. It may not be driving sales for a large number of consumers, but that's a world away from it not being foremost to "anybody."

Right now BBs are a year behind, in part because the Torch hit back in the fall and the 9900 isn't available yet. As far as functionality is concerned, BB and iOS/Android devices have different strengths. BBs offer fantastic messaging/e-mail, weak app selection and average browsers (the combination of no Flash/limited app selection isn't helping). iOS/Android devices lack the messaging strength, but benefit from tremendous third-party app support and great browsers. Android touts Flash and "openness," while iOS points to its music/movies/tv shows/books content, customer support at retail stores, and a high level of integration (which yesterday's announcements only enhanced further). It is a battle of functionality, but iOS and Android users are of the opinion that you can have the specs AND the functionality. It need not be an either/or, and if the PlayBook signals RIM's new direction, they understand this completely.
    Last edited by Economist101; 06-07-11 at 09:51 AM.
    06-07-11 08:51 AM
    RIMs stock was down about .18%. I honestly was expecting it go down my 5% to 7% after seeing how RIMs popular messaging app is being copied. On one hand I am happy Apple finally decided to add notifications the right way. I've always wanted a Iphone but its notification system held me back from making the jump. As for BB, I love the security and the easy to use software, but its getting rather old. Plus, I haven't seen any decent upgrade that makes me want to switch devides.

All in all, its RIM management that is bothering me. I am beyond confused as to what strategy they are going for. Lack of good PR and a loser as CEO only makes things more complicated.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Did you compare RIM and Apples Share?
    RIM was down 0.18% and Apple was down 1.57% yesterday,
    This announcement really didn't change much for either company
    06-07-11 09:26 AM
91 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD