I'm not here to troll or anything just really surprised by the news coming out of WWDC.

After owning a Blackberry Curve 8310, then Bold 9700, and finally a Torch, I ditched Blackberry for Android (HTC Inspire 4G). I love, LOVE Android, but the only thing that has killed it for me is their battery life and GPS. Completely sucks and I actually had enough for it.

I have an upgrade on my line and I was looking into going back to a BlackBerry Torch but found out new Blackberrys are about to be released so I was waiting on that. I was also planning on buying a PlayBook. But that was before today.

I've been reading Engadget's LiveBlog foor WWDC and I'm AMAZED by iOS5. Notifications, iMessaging, and iCloud. WOW! I think everything the iPhone has been missing is going to be added with iOS5.

The notifications has been one thing keeping me away from an iPhone. But now it's there.
    iMessage is basically BBM but for iOS (iTouch, iPhone, and iPad).
    iCloud is.. . I don't think it can get any better. And it's free.

I'm 99% into buying an iPhone and iPad now, and like 1% into buying a Blackberry and PlayBook.

RIM REALLY needs to step up their game. They are barely using 1GHz Cores, HD Cameras, and Front-Facing Cameras. I think it's a bit late to step up their game with the Torch 2 and Bold 9900 since they are a few months away and I highly doubt they are going to change anything this late. RIM needs to step up their game now. Not next month, next quarter, next year..
    Last edited by Shad0w26; 06-06-11 at 01:49 PM.
    06-06-11 01:41 PM
    I think the next iPhone release will be the death nail for RIM. I'm predicting BB users who were reluctant to jump to a better platform take the dive and go with iPhone.

I truly feel sorry for BB users that were let down by RIM.
    06-06-11 01:47 PM
    Yeah, if RIM's numbers were going down until now, wait till the new Iphone is released. This will be interesting.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-06-11 01:56 PM
    The end of RIM?
    Give your head a shake.
    This subject has been beaten to a bloody pulp already. Spend some time reading those posts and don't be so quick to try and stir up more crap.

Anyone who starts a post with "I not here to troll..." is usually trolling.
    Nice try, enjoy the Android forum.
    andyahs, abdul and buwee like this.
    06-06-11 02:02 PM
    A thread recapping what is posted on Engadget, oh boy...
    06-06-11 02:08 PM
    Still no mention of better multitasking, task switching and for all the fuss about icloud, I would like it better if it wasn't such a chore getting files onto my ipad with 3rd party apps.
    06-06-11 02:08 PM
    The end of RIM?
    Give your head a shake.
    This subject has been beaten to a bloody pulp already. Spend some time reading those posts and don't be so quick to try and stir up more crap.

Anyone who starts a post with "I not here to troll..." is usually trolling.
    Nice try, enjoy the Android forum.
    I disagree. While his post was not well written, there are some good points in there.

Apple is getting serious about push and the cloud. The are integrating their eco-system much better. iMessage is a clear shot at RIM and one thing that could (and probably will) make a number of BB users leave.

Apple is still new to the smartphone game and you can't deny that they are making strides. Not only are they "copying" other services, but they are making them work with all their devices. One thing that RIM lacks.

I don't think RIM is dead, but they are in a very, very rough spot.
    06-06-11 02:10 PM
    Their announced BBM-like messaging is going to put even more hurt on RIM. RIM is suffering from not just huge competition from Androids and Apple, but from it's own self-induced malaise. I see no future for RIM, at this point, QNX notwithstanding. By the time RIM ever does deliver a 4G, QNX phone, most of the world will have already either switched to Android or Apple or they are already on either of those platforms and have zero interest in RIM's also-ran ideas about cell phones.
    06-06-11 02:10 PM
    Dang it, I should have waited for the iP5 to go with my BB instead of that laggy, juice draining Atrix, which is now sitting there gathering dust, not being used AT ALL since I didn't find it to be worth all the hype after the initial excitement wore off.
    This would have been a better companion for my BB. Dang it.
    Last edited by Qbnkelt; 06-06-11 at 02:14 PM.
    06-06-11 02:12 PM
    I personally don't care what Apple and Android are doing, I love the simplicity and the keyboard of my blackberry, and I don't see an Iphone or an HTC that can give me the same user experience as my Blackberry.
    DCAce likes this.
    06-06-11 02:17 PM
    ...By the time RIM ever does deliver a 4G, QNX phone, most of the world will have already either switched to Android or Apple or they are already on either of those platforms and have zero interest in RIM's also-ran ideas about cell phones.
    Right because smartphone buyers are not fickle at all
    Dave, I've seen you flip-flop on your love/hate for several phones/platforms already.
    What makes you think that users of other platforms won't come flocking to RIM when the have a pretty shiny new phone? All the brand new users on Android are already looking at the next greatest thing and they don't give a rip if it comes from Android, Apple, Microsoft, or RIM.

People have been predicting RIM's demise for years now. What happened? How could they possibly still be here?
    Ten years from now we'll still be reading the "RIM is dying" threads started by uninformed kids trying to sound like they know something by regurgitating BGR articles. Good times!
    buwee likes this.
    06-06-11 02:29 PM
    Dave, I've seen you flip-flop on your love/hate for several phones/platforms already.
    What makes you think that users of other platforms won't come flocking to RIM when the have a pretty shiny new phone? All the brand new users on Android are already looking at the next greatest thing and they don't give a rip if it comes from Android, Apple, Microsoft, or RIM.

People have been predicting RIM's demise for years now. What happened? How could they possibly still be here?
    Ten years from now we'll still be reading the "RIM is dying" threads started by uninformed kids trying to sound like they know something by regurgitating BGR articles. Good times!
    Yeah but just like BBM has made it hard to switch from BB to something else, iMessage, apps, iCloud will make it harder for someone who moves into the Apple ecosystems to justify leaving iDevices. I don't think that RIM is done, they have a lot of cash and sales outside of the US still are strong, but they better pull their head out of somewhere quick.
    06-06-11 02:37 PM
    Someone who was already in the Apple ecosystem would not have moved out due to BBM in the first place though...
    06-06-11 02:40 PM

For the record: I am NOT an Apple fan. I'm just telling it like it is--that RIM is in deep doo-doo and Apple's announcement is another nail in their coffin.

Since I have only had one brand of smartphone, I'm not sure just how you think I have flip-flopped. I eagerly await a nice 4G android with a bright screen and good sound quality. So far, that hasn't come to pass, but it will.

oh, and another thing--it irritates the crap out of me when someone mis-characterizes my posts such as you have. Try next time to just STATE YOUR OWN OPINIONS and don't try to speak for me. Thanks.
    06-06-11 02:43 PM
    Someone who was already in the Apple ecosystem would not have moved out due to BBM in the first place though...
    I agree, I meant someone who moves from BB to Apple will probably have a harder time moving back now because they'll have a BBM like app, much improved notifications, iCloud, etc. Apple is and has been adding a lot to their ecosystem while RIM has been stagnant.
    06-06-11 02:46 PM
    Yeah but just like BBM has made it hard to switch from BB to something else, iMessage, apps, iCloud will make it harder for someone who moves into the Apple ecosystems to justify leaving iDevices. I don't think that RIM is done, they have a lot of cash and sales outside of the US still are strong, but they better pull their head out of somewhere quick.
    RIM has shown no signs of pulling their heads out. Nada. Why aren't the RIM "faithful" tired of truncated emails, no 4G phones, wonky OS's, etc? About the only thing they do well is BBM and they have bright screens (not high res, though) and loud speakers. Other than that, they basically SUCK--browsing the web on my Storm is an exercise in frustration that I avoid at all costs and that's a pisser, given that I pay $30/month per line for internet access.
    cloud music services are an excuse to push and enforce drm to a higher level... But I understand that people gobble that crap up as an "evolution"...
    RIM has shown no signs of pulling their heads out. Nada. Why aren't the RIM "faithful" tired of truncated emails, no 4G phones
    So far the TB still has a ton of issues related to 4G... Granted they could still release one, but LTE phones still have a bunch of issues....
    06-06-11 02:48 PM
    I have an Iphone 4 and I hate it.

Imessage will not keep me on an iphone 4... I can't make calls half the time do to my lack of signal.. its makes me really mad when my wife and friends are sitting there with there 9780s with full bars and can make calls and txts at will.

Maybe i should just return my iphone 4 for another.

I was thinking of jumping on a the new bold touch when it arrives, but i'm not waiting till september.. I was thinking about a new bold touch... but it's not even announced..

And I'm a BES admin.. But i won't use a blackberry because of the browsing.
    thecoach1999 likes this.
    06-06-11 02:49 PM
    cloud music services are an excuse to push and enforce drm to a higher level... But I understand that people gobble that crap up as an "evolution"...
    iTunes in the cloud is DRM-free.
    06-06-11 02:51 PM
    iTunes in the cloud is DRM-free.
    Of course it's drm free, you don't "have" any of the content...
    andyahs likes this.
    06-06-11 02:53 PM
    Seriously guys, we can't bury our head in the sand about this. I read through what was revealed today, and then looked at my BlackBerry 9700 with dismay.

It's even more depressing to think what they're replacing it with - the Bold 9900. It doesn't even have a front facing camera and that is a basic expectation for a smartphone now.

RIM have truly rested on their laurels, and now they're falling behind and they're in serious, serious trouble.
    06-06-11 02:56 PM
    So far the TB still has a ton of issues related to 4G... Granted they could still release one, but LTE phones still have a bunch of issues....
    yes, I am aware of that. However, the Charge (not that I want one) seems to last longer on its battery.
    06-06-11 02:58 PM
    All I can say is.....

andyahs, lnichols and thecoach1999 like this.
    06-06-11 03:02 PM
    And I feel fine!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    06-06-11 03:13 PM
91 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD