Built for Business - Learn more about BlackBerry KEY2
    So who just got bombarded by three alerts over an Amber alert in Thunder Bay.

This had better not become a daily occurrence or I'm switching to a non LTE flip phone.
    05-14-18 12:58 PM

This had better not become a daily occurrence or I'm switching to a non LTE flip phone.
    There is a strict criteria that is met before an alert is issued, they don't go issuing alerts for each missing kid. In particular they only issue it when they have reason to think the child is in life-threatening danger.

I believe there had only been a few occurences the past few years
    05-14-18 01:21 PM
    A few dozen duplicate alerts were issued a few weeks ago on the third week of may for a missing child who went re-missing and was re-found four times. All they had to do was issue it twice. Lol

Typed on my blackberry classic with 10.3.3-latest on freedom mobile HSPA+
    05-29-18 04:32 PM
    Yesterday I received my first consumer emergency alert reference cans of Kerosene purchased from a particular store that should not be used.

The alert came in just as any other national emergency alert would have.
    02-07-19 06:57 PM
    So these Amber Alerts and Emergency Alerts, I thought they were supposed to go off, with noise, despite if your sound was down, or not?

Got an Amber Alert last night. I got the notice, but my sound was "Do Not Disturb" so I didn't hear it. I didn't see it until I woke up.

Stupidly, people called into 911 to complain, because it was so late at night. wtf

People wanted Amber Alerts, now we have them. Alter me, day or night, if it saves a child.

Because of the alert, they found the guy. Unfortunately, it was too late for the girl.
    02-15-19 02:00 PM
    So these Amber Alerts and Emergency Alerts, I thought they were supposed to go off, with noise, despite if your sound was down, or not?

Got an Amber Alert last night. I got the notice, but my sound was "Do Not Disturb" so I didn't hear it. I didn't see it until I woke up.

Stupidly, people called into 911 to complain, because it was so late at night. wtf

People wanted Amber Alerts, now we have them. Alter me, day or night, if it saves a child.

Because of the alert, they found the guy. Unfortunately, it was too late for the girl.
    People who complained about the alert regarding the missing girl with her "father" are unbelievably stupid morons. Complaining that their child woke up? What if their kid goes kidnapped? Sure they would love to have that alert pushed to everyone ASAP.
    If somebody doesn't want to be bothered after a certain time should just silent their phone.
    I have mine set DND after 9.30 pm. I didn't hear the alert, just saw the notification.
    towngirl likes this.
    02-16-19 09:47 PM
    People who complained about the alert regarding the missing girl with her "father" are unbelievably stupid morons. Complaining that their child woke up? What if their kid goes kidnapped? Sure they would love to have that alert pushed to everyone ASAP.
    If somebody doesn't want to be bothered after a certain time should just silent their phone.
    I have mine set DND after 9.30 pm. I didn't hear the alert, just saw the notification.
    Cannot believe people called 911 to complain. Because of the alert, they caught him. Isn't that enough?? I think so.

Wake me any time, day or night, for an Amber Alert.

OK so it was DND ... OK. I thought these were set to hear it no matter what.
    02-17-19 07:12 AM
    People seem to complain about any little thing these days, but to complain about receiving an Amber Alert...that's pathetic.
    Last edited by Smokeaire; 02-17-19 at 09:04 AM.
    02-17-19 08:18 AM
    People seem to complain about any little thing these days, but to complain about receiving an Amber Alert...thats pathetic.
    Yes.

People wanted Amber Alerts. Now we have them. Don't complain what time of day they need to come in
    Smokeaire likes this.
    02-17-19 08:55 AM
    Myself, I don’t mind the amber alerts, most of them are for folks who are missing and serve as a valuable tool in today electronic driven society.
    towngirl likes this.
    02-17-19 11:48 AM
    Of course you are missing the point about those who complained about amber alerts late at night. They were asleep. There was no point in alerting these people because they do not have spider-man outfits in the closet, and they weren't about to fly out the window to save the girl (who by the way unfortunately may have already been dead by the time the alert was sounded).
    These people who may be on-call leave their devices on for those emergencies, but such people already sleep deprived don't want unnecessary events to further disrupt their sleep.
    Of course sleep deprivation is one of the largest causes of fatalities in the workplace. So there's that as well.
    Not to mention many people are carrying 2-3 jobs and can't afford to lose any sleep at all, they may already be on the margins of sleep deprivation already.

Amber alerts as they are currently implemented are like shooting a chicken with a machine gun. ...overkill. They are not granular enough, and that is probably the fault of the smartphone operating systems currently in use. There is no granularity to DND-Do not disturb. So DND on amber alerts while sleeping, but still ring my phone without DND etc.
    In a city like Toronto that could be hundreds of thousands of people awoken by a screetching and flashing alarm because of an overnight alert, that does not make any sense.
    02-20-19 07:38 AM
    Of course you are missing the point about those who complained about amber alerts late at night. They were asleep. There was no point in alerting these people because they do not have spider-man outfits in the closet, and they weren't about to fly out the window to save the girl (who by the way unfortunately may have already been dead by the time the alert was sounded).
    These people who may be on-call leave their devices on for those emergencies, but such people already sleep deprived don't want unnecessary events to further disrupt their sleep.
    Of course sleep deprivation is one of the largest causes of fatalities in the workplace. So there's that as well.
    Not to mention many people are carrying 2-3 jobs and can't afford to lose any sleep at all, they may already be on the margins of sleep deprivation already.

Amber alerts as they are currently implemented are like shooting a chicken with a machine gun. ...overkill. They are not granular enough, and that is probably the fault of the smartphone operating systems currently in use. There is no granularity to DND-Do not disturb. So DND on amber alerts while sleeping, but still ring my phone without DND etc.
    In a city like Toronto that could be hundreds of thousands of people awoken by a screetching and flashing alarm because of an overnight alert, that does not make any sense.
    Then you turn off the alert.... Emergencies happen 24/7 and from societal perspective, a missing child is more important than beauty sleep. I find it amusing that it has irritated self important people. If you’re doing 2-3 jobs to make ends meet and you’re irritated because you feel you’re more important than a missing child, might want to reevaluate the decisions you’re making.. there appears to be a problem identifying priorities.
    mszbzltn likes this.
    02-20-19 07:45 AM

So.... I didn't the alert because my DND was on. Maybe people should turn off their sound. I have only phone on, during the night. If there is an emergency for me, they won't text. They would call.

But if not for that alert, they would not have caught him so fast. It was because of that alert. They can wake me any time of the day or night if the notice gets to someone that can help.
    02-20-19 07:50 AM
    Then you turn off the alert.... Emergencies happen 24/7 and from societal perspective, a missing child is more important than beauty sleep. I find it amusing that it has irritated self important people. If you’re doing 2-3 jobs to make ends meet and you’re irritated because you feel you’re more important than a missing child, might want to reevaluate the decisions you’re making.. there appears to be a problem identifying priorities.
    Not irritation, sleep deprivation because of the shock of waking at an unexpected hour. The point is a sleeping person cannot do anything about a missing child in a big city. You aren't going to jump out of bed and jump in your car along with 200,000 others to find a child in the city. The purpose is for those already awake and in the vicinity of the likely where-abouts of a suspect. There's no problem if the alert is there when the person wakes-up. But in a big city we all know people are not going to jump up and search, its not about being cruel, its just common sense. Emergency service personal are specialized for just that purpose. Organized searches for a local kid? sure, who could say no. But imagine an amber alert for a child Missing in Yellowstone, going nationwide at 3am across the States? I bet someone in Florida is going to be ticked about that.
    Lets not forget, that some of these ambers may be parental custody struggles....count me out of those, I wouldn't know who the real aggrieved party is, in the first place.
    02-20-19 07:54 AM
    So.... I didn't the alert because my DND was on. Maybe people should turn off their sound. I have only phone on, during the night. If there is an emergency for me, they won't text. They would call.

But if not for that alert, they would not have caught him so fast. It was because of that alert. They can wake me any time of the day or night if the notice gets to someone that can help.
    Ah maybe I missed that point. So you are able to DND your text, but at the same time leave the voice on. Well that would solve the problem for not wanting to be woken. However if there was a gunman on my street looking to break in somewhere convenient to hide while my family was sleeping, that might be different (imminent danger). So still the granularity issue needs some kind of refinement.
    02-20-19 08:00 AM
    Not irritation, sleep deprivation because of the shock of waking at an unexpected hour. The point is a sleeping person cannot do anything about a missing child in a big city. You aren't going to jump out of bed and jump in your car along with 200,000 others to find a child in the city. The purpose is for those already awake and in the vicinity of the likely where-abouts of a suspect. There's no problem if the alert is there when the person wakes-up. But in a big city we all know people are not going to jump up and search, its not about being cruel, its just common sense. Emergency service personal are specialized for just that purpose. Organized searches for a local kid? sure, who could say no. But imagine an amber alert for a child Missing in Yellowstone, going nationwide at 3am across the States? I bet someone in Florida is going to be ticked about that.
    Lets not forget, that some of these ambers may be parental custody struggles....count me out of those, I wouldn't know who the real aggrieved party is, in the first place.
    The whole purpose of the alerts is to find the child, when one person knows something then it’s not about mobilization of the masses but alerting that one person, that knows something. The point that it was only partially successful is better than alternatives...

Again, turn off the ambers if you’re too important to bother.....
    mszbzltn likes this.
    02-20-19 08:01 AM
    Still, if one want to sleep and don't want to be bothered, they should silence their phone and not blame others.
    02-20-19 08:06 AM
    Ah maybe I missed that point. So you are able to DND your text, but at the same time leave the voice on. Well that would solve the problem for not wanting to be woken. However if there was a gunman on my street looking to break in somewhere convenient to hide while my family was sleeping, that might be different (imminent danger). So still the granularity issue needs some kind of refinement.
    I put on DND and went to DND Settings and have it on allow Alarms and All Callers. I used to have it to allow people on my list to text but turned that off.
    So texts and seemingly Amber Alerts are also shut off when I put this on.

I agree, you don't need it when you are sleeping. So I didn't get it.

But that one person DID get it. And called it in. And the police caught they guy. I would have been OK with getting a notice, at that time of night.

So, if you can shut off the Amber Alerts when you sleep, turn them off.
    mszbzltn likes this.
    02-20-19 08:09 AM
    Again, turn off the ambers if you’re too important to bother.....
    ...not too important....just that some people don't function if their batteries are drained (sleep interruptions) at night :-)
    02-20-19 09:02 AM
    Still, if one want to sleep and don't want to be bothered, they should silence their phone and not blame others.
    So I think @towngirl solved the problem. Some must keep their phones on at night (hoping not to get an emergency call of a different nature, ie one that they are supposed to deal with because no one else can), but also that they don't need to be woken for things they can do nothing about. That's the fine distinction I was trying to make. Imagine if these alerts became commonplace or more frequently used Especially between say 9pm and 7am when most of the population sleeps, the general populace would be irritated by night-time wakenings of which they could do virtually nothing to help the matter be resolved.
    02-20-19 09:10 AM
    So I am gathering from the majority of the replies that people keep the phone in the same room with them. I do not. I have a stand for my Z10 in my office and put it in there at night. In addition the beauty of BB10 allows me to block all notifications except those I designate and they would be calling me if this was overnight.

An amber alert is certainly important but I tend to agree that there is little I can do if I am sleeping but if I hear one I do read it to see what it is about. If this is Trump calling to say it is the end of the world than I want to sleep regardless.

Posted via CB10
    02-20-19 09:30 AM
    So I think @towngirl solved the problem. Some must keep their phones on at night (hoping not to get an emergency call of a different nature, ie one that they are supposed to deal with because no one else can), but also that they don't need to be woken for things they can do nothing about. That's the fine distinction I was trying to make. Imagine if these alerts became commonplace or more frequently used Especially between say 9pm and 7am when most of the population sleeps, the general populace would be irritated by night-time wakenings of which they could do virtually nothing to help the matter be resolved.
    Yes, it was solved. Using DND makes Amber Alerts not come in.

I don’t think they will become “common place”. There is a guideline to posting Amber Alerts.. if they don’t meet the guidelines, they can’t use it.

I do know a few instances of people wanting to use the AA and they could not because it didn’t follow guidelines.

And God hope AA are not comment place
    02-20-19 09:51 AM