150 58.37%
  • McCain

94 36.58%
  • Undecided still

13 5.06%
11-05-08 12:08 PM
937 ... 56789 ...
tools
    Can I ask an honest question to the republicans on the board? Have your lives gotten better or worse under GOP leadership? I am a die hard Democrat, but I'm honest. If my lifestyle had stayed the same or gotten better over the last 8 years, then I would admit it, begrudgingly though. I think the thing that bothers me the most is that the Republican Party seemed to offer no real solutions at their convention, they told me why Sen. Obama was wrong, but didn't offer up an alternative solution. And then to not acknowledge the utterly disatrous nightmare known as the last 8 years?!! To say we know the American people are suffering and not take some responsibility? That was just disrespectful to me.

And as for new taxes, we have crumbling infastructure, a school system in disarray, all these things will take money to fix. Did you know that the poorest tenth of Americans pay 20% higher taxes than they paid 20 years ago? But here's the best part. The richest tenth are paying 20% LESS! 20% LESS?! And the Republicans have been in the white house the majority of that time. The GOP raises taxes. Just on us poor, broke, little guys. We only matter to them during election time. Obama's plan will raise Americans in pocket money $3000 per annum, and McCain's plan keeps your dough right where it is. There was a study just done by some financial institute I will look it up again and post the link.

In summation, no one cares if gays want to get their unions recognized, it's not taking money out of your pocket. A woman can pay taxes, but can't decide what to do with her reproductive organs?! It's not why your gas prices are so high. Focus on what matters. Food and gas prices, jobs, education. I'm sorry about what happened to Sen. McCain, but I don't think being a POW qualifies you to be president. It moves me about as much as Obama being black moves me because neither has anything to do with leadership skills. NO MORE EMOTIONAL VOTING! VOTE ON THE ISSUES!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    all i can say is damn i like the way you put that
    09-08-08 09:51 AM
    And for the record, Democrats can be Christians too! I get offended when people of my faith fall for that dumb stuff. Bush has really jacked me over, but he's a Christian? The Bible talks about if you have enough to eat and you see your brother in need and give him a rock, how are you showing God's love? Quit taking their rocks!

09-08-08 09:51 AM
    You know, you all keep talkin about "the last 8 years" and how bad it was. Do you know that every democrat for the past 4 elections has wanted to raise taxes!?!? Thus further lining their already bulging pockets with more money! The stimulus pack was a failed attempt as far as the economy goes, but atleast it was an attempt, which is more than I can say for any democrat including Clinton.

You must be living life in your own individualistic twliight zone. You must be viewing America, the world, and each of its health respectively...under your own microscope.

Because the condition of reality for our country, the world and all of its inhabitants...is worse off than ever before. The past 8 years have served nothing more than as a catalyst for change...in the negative direction.

I think you're insulting your own intelligence by not acknowledging that the proof is in the pudding; and I'm sure you're much smarter than that.

And to JAEFOX who posted earlier; you're correct about the things you stated in your post. However I'd like to add that even if a person's life has actually gotten better in the past 8 years (because there are actually some who have prospered; albeit the majority haven't)...an individual shouldn't JUST look at their situation; they should approach their vote as one being cast for the bigger picture; an approach of: Who would initiate the greater good for the most number of people.

Last edited by Hi-Definition; 09-08-08 at 10:00 AM.
    09-08-08 09:52 AM
    You must be living life in your own individualistic twliight zone. You must be viewing America, the world, and each of its health respectively...under your own microscope.

Because the condition of reality for our country, the world and all of its inhabitants...is worse off than ever before. The past 8 years have served nothing more than as a catalyst for change...in the negative direction.

I think you're insulting your own intelligence by not acknowledging that the proof is in the pudding; and I'm sure you're much smarter than that.

Totally agree. What many people don't know, especially my generation, is that the whole 'recession' idea isn't just a US issue. It's a global issue. One of the only ways to start paying our debts is to raise taxes. Yeah it sucks, bad. But the simple fact that the value of the dollar is so fricken low because all the government is doing is making more. It's not doing anything. I'm just concerned that if China really grows to hate us, they can cash in all of their bonds and we'd be screwed.
    09-08-08 10:02 AM
    One can't elect the same old same old and expect anything to be different. If anyone thinks the Repubs care about us, look at the bankruptcy bill written by MBNA staff attorneys. Look at real income dropping for the first time since Sr was in the White House -- any get the connection between that and the decline in Union membership? Thought not -- unions are vilified by the right, but who's going to negotiate wages and benefits for you? Management?! I'm a member of management and my peers laugh about gullible employees.

Where I work employees were encouraged to vote out a national union. In the first contract negotiated after, the employee negotiators were talked into a merit system to replace cost of living raises. Man were they fooled. Now almost no one qualifies for a raise or bonus. The employees are just p*ssed, but too bad for them! There is a move to bring the union back, but most of the employees pushing this are going to be fired, er, I mean laid off.. Management doesn't care, the NLRB hasn't ruled against a company trying to keep a union out in years.

Worry about chemicals like trichloroethylene in your drinking water? Too bad, the Justice department is not going after polluters. Sheesh, look it up -- enforcement actions are down. If action is brought by the feds, the penalties are all civil hand slaps -- no criminals are going to jail. Congress had to over ride Bush's veto to simply provide a small amount of money to build treatment plants. Who do you think he cares about?

09-08-08 10:03 AM
    Can I just say, I love this. I think it's great to have a civil debate with intelligent people and not have people attacking each other.
    09-08-08 10:06 AM
    You're right Snow, when the name calling starts, I tend to withdraw. One can't discuss issues when being attcked.

09-08-08 10:52 AM
    here .02 worth....everyone wants to talk about "supporting abortion" when they speak about democrats, but here's the truth - the "choice" to have or not to have an abortion is a constitutional right, and no matter who gets elected POTUS they vow to uphold the constitution, so guess what? move on to another issue because it's a deadend discussion...unless your candidate is campaigning on making an amendment to the constitution the words are nothing more than air....
    09-08-08 11:48 AM

How do you gather that i am looking at things through my own microscope? I have actually taken a good look at both candidates, by looking at the 2, I have discerned, in my mind, that McCain is the lesser of the 2 evils. While I don't support, or agree with all of Bush's policies (especially since I got cheated out of the Stimulus pack both ways! My parents couldn't claim me on it because I was 17 at the time, and I couldn't claim it for myself because I didn't make over $3000 the last year!) I can honestly say that things could've been worse.
    And I am not denying that the proof is in the pudding, but if you will check around on the 'net, especially news sites(even though the news media is biased) you will see that Obama's policies are going to increase our taxes by a fair bit. I don't know about you, but I would prefer to keep the percentage taken out of my check for taxes each week under 20%! Also, our economy, as well as the world economy is not "worse off than ever before". We have yet to match what happened in the 1930s, what with the Depression and all. The global economy may be in a recession, but it hasn't gone deeper yet, although I feel that it will soon enough no matter who gets elected. Democrats are for cutting government spending, when it has been proven throughout history that a deficit can actually bolster the economy, such as what happened during Reagan's second term. The only problem with that is that it can only last so long.
    09-08-08 01:27 PM
    How do you gather that i am looking at things through my own microscope? I have actually taken a good look at both candidates, by looking at the 2, I have discerned, in my mind, that McCain is the lesser of the 2 evils. While I don't support, or agree with all of Bush's policies (especially since I got cheated out of the Stimulus pack both ways! My parents couldn't claim me on it because I was 17 at the time, and I couldn't claim it for myself because I didn't make over $3000 the last year!) I can honestly say that things could've been worse.
    And I am not denying that the proof is in the pudding, but if you will check around on the 'net, especially news sites(even though the news media is biased) you will see that Obama's policies are going to increase our taxes by a fair bit. I don't know about you, but I would prefer to keep the percentage taken out of my check for taxes each week under 20%! Also, our economy, as well as the world economy is not "worse off than ever before". We have yet to match what happened in the 1930s, what with the Depression and all. The global economy may be in a recession, but it hasn't gone deeper yet, although I feel that it will soon enough no matter who gets elected. Democrats are for cutting government spending, when it has been proven throughout history that a deficit can actually bolster the economy, such as what happened during Reagan's second term. The only problem with that is that it can only last so long.
    To me, this shows your deficiency in approach to the severity and approach to it all...think about it. You're peeved over not receiving the stimulus checks? Haha, that should be the LEAST of the legitimate issues/worries on the totem pole. I'll give you my check.

And if you're having to compare the Great Depression as a benchmark to the condition of the economy now...does that not speak for itself? I don't know why people who side w/ McCain say that there is no need in continuously bringing up that McCain has sided w/ Bush 90% of the time...because it is VERY RELEVANT actually. One shouldn't have to come up with any other simple or even elaborate proof to prove otherwise...when this simple stat sums everything up quite accurately.

Whoever the next president is; will inherit the direct effects and side effects of the tidal wave of the past 8 years...so there won't be any fix immediately; however the appropriate person in office will aid in helping the fix become more efficient and urgent.
    09-08-08 01:55 PM
    Actually Andy, Obama is the only one pledging to help those in your income tax bracket. Your taxes will go down under Obama's plan. McCain's tax cuts will primarily help those making $250,000 or more. Those in my tax bracket will see about a $4000 a year tax cut under Obama and a $2000 cut under McCain's promises. Those in your tax bracket will pay no federal income tax.

Go to taxpolicycenter.com to see a comparison of the two candidate's tax plans. BTW it is a non-partisan site so you'll get accurate information.

09-08-08 01:57 PM
    On the taxes issue, I would point out that Clintons defecit reduction plan passage resulted in the start of the big bull market even though it raised taxes. Hard to argue that you wernt better off afer Clinton.

But if lower taxes paramount why have taxes at all. Just pay forb it yourself if you need it, or trust bigcorpco to protect you out of the goodness of their hearts. Invade Iraq, just get your rifle or shot gun and do it yourself.

Th ereason we are asked to pay taxes is that there is a price for life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

09-08-08 02:25 PM
    I am a registered Dem, and I am undecided.
    09-08-08 04:50 PM
    I am not that peeved about the stim pack, I was stating that in the fact that it helped those who didn't really need it that bad and left the ones that needed it standing "out in the cold". I couldve used the money to help pay for college. Frustrated about it would be more like it.

And I will do some more thorough research. I do apologize for giving some misconceptions about my views though. I usually try to look at things as a whole before I start on individual issues. Kinda hard to do that with politics though.....

09-08-08 05:27 PM
    I'm a democrat and up to now, have always thought republicans allowed tax cuts for the wealthy just to stay wealthy. It was explained differently to me recently. If the wealthy (business owners) receive tax cuts, they can remain in business. Thus keeping jobs available to people. What are your thoughts on this view?
    09-08-08 05:32 PM
    I'm a democrat and up to now, have always thought republicans allowed tax cuts for the wealthy just to stay wealthy. It was explained differently to me recently. If the wealthy (business owners) receive tax cuts, they can remain in business. Thus keeping jobs available to people. What are your thoughts on this view?
    Not all business owners are wealthy. I know a guy for example who is a mechanic, has his own shop and has two mechanics working for him. The owner's take home pay is about $78,000 after the $50,000 he pays each of his mechanics. To this mechanic who owns his own business; the freedom of being his own boss, calling the shots and making his own schedule...is more valuable than added monetary pay. Business owners create jobs: these employees that work for the businesses; add to the tax pool...therefore tax benefits/cuts are encouraged for business owners overall. However taxing the business owner is different from taxing the business owner's entity (his business). If overhead to run a business becomes high, workers will have to be laid off; and the tax pool decreases. Which leads to a host of other governmental and societal implications. Small business is the collective workhorse of the nation's economic backbone. Yet big business gets all the limelight; and at the same time...has grossly been undermined by their money-hungry CEO's/execs through tax breaks for their already inflated salaries...at the expense of the domestic workers here whose jobs are being FORCED overseas. Republicans say they want to keep jobs here...but they lack the strategy to accomplish a lot of what THEY SAY.

Hardly do you hear about the plight of the average/middle class person and the economy over all from the Republicans; and even more rare do you hear any real solutions from their end to abate the problems.

McCain isn't the representation for the greater good for the greater masses; he's the representation of the greater good for the ones who already have it good!

I, just like so many others who are vested in this year's elections...don't say what all is related to the election..if it isnt sincere/meant; and if reality doesn't back it up.
    Last edited by Hi-Definition; 09-08-08 at 06:00 PM.
    09-08-08 05:55 PM
    I agree. History even proves that Republicans favor big businesses. (History often repeats itself too!) With a lot of damage already done, its gonna be somewhat hard for either candidate to do a lot of good. Myself being a Christian, I think I will let God lead me in my decision. Touching on the issue of abortion again, I would be happy if all states required parental consent. It would be a minor victory, but a victory nonetheless.

09-08-08 08:51 PM
    Let's change it up abit. To the people that know about god alittle. Look at this. Obama is the Moses of this time. He was hand picked by god never mind what the people say he's not all black or all white. He's a mixture of you me everyone in America. God took the time to hand pick him so that everyone would be pleased not going on the way we have. Obama is going to do great at what he says if he is giving the chance. Think about it. He was giving the chance to get the best education that his parents sacrificed for. We don't have that going on anymore. We need to get that back. As far as jobs he want s to make the companies that make the cars do it here in America not abroad anymore. That's why people are suffering everything is being done over seas. Let them stop relying on other countries and let's work with what we got. It's time for change. But that's what everyone is afraid of change. Because they've goten so us to things being messed up nobody wants to do something to help straighen out the country. Let's give the man a chance. He can't be any worse then what we've had for 8 yrs now. Give the man a chance.

09-08-08 09:15 PM
    Let's change it up abit. To the people that know about god alittle. Look at this. Obama is the Moses of this time. He was hand picked by god never mind what the people say he's not all black or all white. He's a mixture of you me everyone in America. God took the time to hand pick him so that everyone would be pleased not going on the way we have. Obama is going to do great at what he says if he is giving the chance. Think about it. He was giving the chance to get the best education that his parents sacrificed for. We don't have that going on anymore. We need to get that back. As far as jobs he want s to make the companies that make the cars do it here in America not abroad anymore. That's why people are suffering everything is being done over seas. Let them stop relying on other countries and let's work with what we got. It's time for change. But that's what everyone is afraid of change. Because they've goten so us to things being messed up nobody wants to do something to help straighen out the country. Let's give the man a chance. He can't be any worse then what we've had for 8 yrs now. Give the man a chance. And make sure you vote for the primaries and the big election.

09-08-08 09:17 PM
    One question I would like an un-biased answer to, and I don't mean this in a derogatory way at all, just wanting an answer: Why didn't Obama wear the Flag pin? Why didn't he put his hand over his heart for the Anthem? These aren't big issues, but they show a sense of patriotism. Don't wanna start a fight or anything, just wanting to know why.....

09-08-08 09:31 PM
    Andy, that story about not putting his hand over his heart was made up and didn't happen. I don't ever remember seeing him without a flag pin. People who want to use hatred to get people to vote against someone start these rumors because they are hard to refute. But think about it logically, there is no way in h3ll Obama would forget to do either.

Andy, I am a veteran and I love my country. I don't know anyone more supportive of our military than me and I often forget my flag pin. It isn't a true gauge of how someone feels about America. To be an educated voter you have to be able to tell fact from fiction.

A good example of this is the Al Gore and internet story. How many times have you heard that Al Gore said he invented the internet? The Right wing loves to tell this story and laugh at Gore, the only problem is that it never happened. **** Armey started this rumor on a Fox show to discredit Al Gore.

I'd say it has been pretty effective because so many people believe it happened. The real truth is that Al Gore pushed funding for the forerunner of the internet as a way to assist research well before anyone knew what the internet would become. He never, ever said he invented the internet.

Make up your mind about who you want to vote for based on what you think to be right, but be careful. Many would tell you anything to get you to vote the way they want you to. Use your intellect to see through the BS and get to the truth.

09-08-08 10:27 PM
    Thank you for the straight-forward answer. As I said, neither are big issues, just curiosity. Its stupid that the media twists things like they do. Once again, thank you!

09-08-08 10:33 PM
    everyone that can should vote
    09-08-08 10:50 PM
    everyone that can should vote
    I hate it when ppl complain even though they didn't vote. If u CAN'T vote, that's a different story. But if u don't vote, you don't have any business complaining bc u didn't try to change anything. You would be surprised how much one vote matters.
    My .02........

09-08-08 11:19 PM
    09-09-08 05:51 AM
937 ... 56789 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD