• Obama

150 58.37%
  • McCain

94 36.58%
  • Undecided still

13 5.06%
    Obama all the way!
    09-04-08 08:55 AM
    There are A LOT of 'hot button' issues...abortion, gay rights, gun control, teaching of evolution in school; just to name a few...of course discussion and policy-making on hot-button issues is crucial.

However, these 'hot-button' issues DOMESTICALLY won't resolve us out of a major economic crisis, they won't help in the right course of action needed in conflicts in iraq, afghanistan and other parts of the world. The world is not individualistic; the well being of America; just as w/ any other country...relies on as much of a healthy equilibrium w/ the rest of the world as possible. The world truly is one large community.

If you consider yourself a person that thinks through major decisions (as anyone should), if you truly do care for the sanctity of yourself, your family, america and the rest of the world with all its other inhabitants...you'll see that someone that has sided-agreed w/ Bush 90% of the time...is not for us, is not for the world.

Is proof not in the pudding? Look at our economy, look at the chaos in the world, look at how the rest of the world feels about us. This is all because of what our current president has brought on. He only hinges on fear, terrorism, attacks, war and says we haven't had an attack on America's soil since 9/11. So what? The violence in other parts of the world that shore up beacuse of our policy-making and rhetoric..makes up for the lack of violence on American soil. Our soldiers across the world have to take the brunt of this careless and selfish play-calling...when it shouldn't have to be so in the first place.

Aggression in other parts of the world; even if its between two other countries...might not have even of started or escalated to the point it does...if our leadership had the approach of handling foreign policy differently.

My point is that just because we may not be directly dealing w/ things on our soil; in a way we still are having to face things on the soil of others...and its killing our soldiers, our citizens, others' citizens and is destroying our image and trustworthyness in this large community we live in.
    09-04-08 09:48 AM
    bump...all the conventions are over...should be a real interesting debate season
    09-05-08 06:05 AM
    Already been an interesting debate in "Sarah Palin uses a BB" thread.
    09-05-08 06:12 AM
    Already been an interesting debate in "Sarah Palin uses a BB" thread.
    I had to bail on that one because it was in the wrong forum. I'll be happy to debate policy as long as the name calling is kept out of it. I mentioned to my wife while watching Sarah speak that she was going to win some votes for the McCain ticket. She is a populist and says a lot of things people want to hear, but I wonder if she will represent all of us because she identified a large number of Americans whose opinions she did not accept -- to the point of excuding them from the debate.

She has also taken sides, as mayor of Wasilla, in a couple of issues that I find unforgivable. The worst: it is my understanding that she investigated the censorship and banning of books. According to Time magazine, She actually "asked the library how she could go about banning books because some voters thought they had inappropriate language in them. The librarian was aghast. That woman, Mary Ellen Baker, couldn't be reached for comment, but news reports from the time show that Palin had threatened to fire Baker for not giving "full support" to the mayor."

If that isn't unAmerican, I don't know what is.
    09-05-08 09:50 AM
    I agree with you on the other thread.

The library thing was big with me also. What I find even bigger is her desire to have creationism (which to me is basically teaching the bible) in schools. If it's in history or social studies, etc. I would be okay with it. I think though that she wants it taught in science classes. This to me disqualifies her for the position all by itself.
    09-05-08 10:28 AM
    I'm looking forward to the presidential debate at the end of this month; and the VP debate next month.

I don't think Palin can hold her own outside the realm of her comfort zone in Alaskan politics...on the state, county, city, town, village, shire levels. Traveling the world makes people smarter and well-rounded to what's going on around the world; aside from just hearing/reading about it...and seeing it on television. She attained her passport in 2007 and only travled overseas once to visit troops serving in iraq from the alaskan national guard.

In this day and age: ESPECIALLY now...a leader is needed that can establish rapport with world leaders that are familiar with the person, name and what they stand for...when that respect is earned and given; that's when real progress starts.

Oh and as for the russia/georgia conflict..interesting how it started and is flaring up now right before the elections. And interesting how McCain feels he can speak on the behalf of all americans saying we're all georgians. I wouldn't be surprised if the republicans deliver an october surprise and set up an attack right before the elections..to bolster their candidate.
    09-05-08 11:25 AM
    I'm looking forward to the presidential debate at the end of this month; and the VP debate next month.

I don't think Palin can hold her own outside the realm of her comfort zone in Alaskan politics...on the state, county, city, town, village, shire levels.
    I agree regarding the tone of the debate in the other thread, I stayed in it way too long.

That said, I think it would be a mistake to underestimate Palin's appeal. I also think that we should not overlook the possibility that she may do very well in a debate against Biden. Aside from the substance, there are x-factors. Biden may have some real difficulty debating a woman (he would not be the first politician). Also, she will have a good amount of time to prepare during which she will have access to some truly well versed tutors.

Democrats, underestimate and right off Palin at your peril.
    09-05-08 12:21 PM
    It absolutely would be a mistake to underestimate her. She has the populist thing down, I can see her looking over her glasses insinuating Biden as being un-American for disagreeing with one of popular slogans. She will be ready for the debates and well versed in setting rhetorical traps.
    09-05-08 12:55 PM
    In the past I have admired some of what McCain has done/said in the Senate as I think he has, at times, gone with what he knows to be right as opposed to following the party lines. (the mere fact that he has worked well with Teddy Kennedy "The Liberal Lion" speaks volumes) Having said that, I am fundamentally opposed to most of his policy stances and would never cast a vote for him or his ticket. I've heard it said that he is a "maverick" but I think you can kiss that good-bye because we're waaaay beyond him running for a senate seat. This is the biggest of the big time and he has too many different groups that he has to pander to in order to get elected. He HAS to say the right things in order to keep the base satisfied. In my opinion, the ONLY reason Palin is on the ticket is a pathetic attempt to reach out to women voters. He wanted to flip the script by adding Lieberman but that would have driven the base away big time so he settled for adding a woman.

I have to place my hope and faith in the Obama/Biden ticket to work hard to "right the ship". The economy, the "war on terror", social issues (abortion, gay rights), education .... I'm not in lock-step with Obama, but I can cast a vote for him in good faith and sleep well at night. I also think Joe Biden is a super smart guy, he just has had a bad habit of shooting his mouth off and that has not served him well nationally.

I can say with absolute certainty that I will vote but that it doesn't matter as I live in Vermont and we're possibly the bluest state ever. And I used to live in Massachusetts which is probably the second bluest state (the Mitt Romney debacle not withstanding) I want the next administration to do away with the Electoral College! Now THAT is a hot button issue!!!!
    09-05-08 02:52 PM
    I agree regarding the tone of the debate in the other thread, I stayed in it way too long.

That said, I think it would be a mistake to underestimate Palin's appeal. I also think that we should not overlook the possibility that she may do very well in a debate against Biden. Aside from the substance, there are x-factors. Biden may have some real difficulty debating a woman (he would not be the first politician). Also, she will have a good amount of time to prepare during which she will have access to some truly well versed tutors.

Democrats, underestimate and right off Palin at your peril.
    Wow...to believe that sitting down with some "tutors" to become "well-versed" on the real issues (majority of them complex, others not so complex) in two months...will truly make the candidate of the VP of the republican party well-versed...is wishful and gratious indeed.

It absolutely would be a mistake to underestimate her. She has the populist thing down, I can see her looking over her glasses insinuating Biden as being un-American for disagreeing with one of popular slogans. She will be ready for the debates and well versed in setting rhetorical traps.
    To clarify myself a bit more when I said that I don't feel Sarah Palin can hold her own outside of Alaskan politics...I don't mean she can't hold her own in a debate.

All I'm saying is that skills in rhetoric, skills in bringing vibrance and energy to a debate, and preparing for a debate that's a month and some days away...does not replace thorough knowledge of foreign policy (that Joe Biden has); it does not make up for the 20+ years of experience that Joe Biden has. No one that's in Sarah Palin's situation; can truly be "well-versed" in the complexity of foreign policy. You can't just be taught it; ESPECIALLY NOT in the time since she came onto the scene and to the time left for the election to come.

In reference to the above statements; I'm comparing the VP picks...not the Presidential side of both tickets.

The FACT is that McCain has sided with Bush 90% of the time over the past 8 years...look at what situation that has put us in!!! Does the public truly think that McCain will have an epiphany and totally reverse his mindset for the next 4 years on the 90% of that failed-backing?!? Look at the numbers that came out today; we have a 6% unemployment rate! The percentage of cases my firm has been getting lately are astonishing...why? Because of how frivolous they are. People are bending over backwards, getting insanely desperate for money filing lawsuits against their employers for what they believe are unwarranted layoffs. And the overwhelming number of these job cuts could be avoided if we had our economy in-line.
    Last edited by Hi-Definition; 09-05-08 at 03:14 PM.
    09-05-08 03:03 PM
    All I'm saying is that skills in rhetoric, skills in bringing vibrance and energy to a debate, and preparing for a debate that's a month and some days away...does not replace thorough knowledge of foreign policy (that Joe Biden has); it does not make up for the 20+ years of experience that Joe Biden has. No one that's in Sarah Palin's situation; can truly be "well-versed" in the complexity of foreign policy. You can't just be taught it; ESPECIALLY NOT in the time since she came onto the scene and to the time left for the election to come.

I'm comparing the VP picks here...not the Presidential side of both tickets.
    I agree with this 100% but it might not matter. She can maintain favorable public perception of 60 days, it might just do the trick. And God knows, that while Biden is experienced and intelligent and knowledgeable, he can put his foot in his mouth with remarkable skill.
    09-05-08 03:13 PM
    In the past I have admired some of what McCain has done/said in the Senate as I think he has, at times, gone with what he knows to be right as opposed to following the party lines. (the mere fact that he has worked well with Teddy Kennedy "The Liberal Lion" speaks volumes) Having said that, I am fundamentally opposed to most of his policy stances and would never cast a vote for him or his ticket. I've heard it said that he is a "maverick" but I think you can kiss that good-bye because we're waaaay beyond him running for a senate seat. This is the biggest of the big time and he has too many different groups that he has to pander to in order to get elected. He HAS to say the right things in order to keep the base satisfied. In my opinion, the ONLY reason Palin is on the ticket is a pathetic attempt to reach out to women voters. He wanted to flip the script by adding Lieberman but that would have driven the base away big time so he settled for adding a woman.

I have to place my hope and faith in the Obama/Biden ticket to work hard to "right the ship". The economy, the "war on terror", social issues (abortion, gay rights), education .... I'm not in lock-step with Obama, but I can cast a vote for him in good faith and sleep well at night. I also think Joe Biden is a super smart guy, he just has had a bad habit of shooting his mouth off and that has not served him well nationally.

I can say with absolute certainty that I will vote but that it doesn't matter as I live in Vermont and we're possibly the bluest state ever. And I used to live in Massachusetts which is probably the second bluest state (the Mitt Romney debacle not withstanding) I want the next administration to do away with the Electoral College! Now THAT is a hot button issue!!!!
    I agree with you on McCain, and find it especially hard to believe the Maverick monicor after a convention where every speaker before him railed about what the democrats have for will do, even though the republicans have held the presidency for 8 years and congress for 5.5 out of 8. Then in his speech he says he is running against washington, for the american people and for change.

If that's what he really believes, why is he running as a republican and not an independant? Why did he pick a Bush base social conservative for the Veep instead of his friend Joe Lieberman? He knows he can only win by getting all of the Bush base and hope confabulate enough independants and democrats to win.

If people think that if he is elected he will follow through on his rhetoric rather than follow the party line they will be in for a big surprise. The democrats are sure to increase their numbers on both the House and Senate, and McCain will need the remaining hard right Republicans if he hopes to get anything done. The only way that will happen is if he panders to the right wing.

When he says he will reach across the aisle and except anyones help in helping the country, he means he wants Democrats rubber stamp what he wants.
    09-05-08 03:25 PM
    I only 16 so I can't vote, but if I can I would vote for Obama, even though I like Hilary much better. Until that time... lets roll with Obama. As for McCain he just sucks, he won't bring anything new to the White House, the only thing I agreed with him is the policy on Iraq. And his VP pick is a totally *****...

***Hilary Clinton 2012***
    09-05-08 04:00 PM
    I agree with you on McCain, and find it especially hard to believe the Maverick monicor after a convention where every speaker before him railed about what the democrats have for will do, even though the republicans have held the presidency for 8 years and congress for 5.5 out of 8. Then in his speech he says he is running against washington, for the american people and for change.

If that's what he really believes, why is he running as a republican and not an independant? Why did he pick a Bush base social conservative for the Veep instead of his friend Joe Lieberman? He knows he can only win by getting all of the Bush base and hope confabulate enough independants and democrats to win.
    McCain stated in his speech last night that the Republican party strayed-away from its ways the past few years (his subtle address at Bush, Bush' administration, the past 8 years...and what it has to show for it). However, it's something McCain had to say to the independents, fence-riders...knowing full well he voted alongside that same president 90% of the time.

As far as the whole why McCain didn't run as an independent thing (in theory; yeah you would think so right?)...but he wants to win the presidency; and knows he wouldn't have a chance to win running as an independent w/o the republican base behind him.

And does Lieberman not feel like the tool and sellout that he is? I mean here is, he was admittedly in very close running for the VP position; but his best friend McCain didn't choose him because of a person (Palin) he really didn't personally know or have any rapport with...but still chose STRICTLY because of increasing his chances at getting elected. What does that act right there say about McCain's character, sincerity and his 'stand-up' qualities? And here is spending more than half his speeches about his military life, about what his fellow military comrades/friends did for him while he was a P.O.W.; and attesting to the fact that his friends were the ones that saved his life.

I guess he expects friends to come through for him; but won't give the same back to them unless they can help him win an election to continue that 90% streak.
    09-05-08 05:20 PM
    I was pretty undecided before McCain announced Palin. McCain being a centrist made it harder for me to make a decision. But with Palin being uberconservative my choice is Obama.

My biggest beef at this point is that everyone keeps saying that Palin decided to keep her baby. My grandfather (conservative) told me this too. What really bothers me about this statement is this: What is a synonym for decision? CHOICE! She CHOSE to keep her baby. They think that it's this big thing; and I'm sure I'm going to stir up more that I expected with this comment but I just don't understand why people are making that such a huge deal. I believe it is a woman's right to make her own decisions, men too. I don't want people telling me how I have to live my life so I'm going to respect other people and let them live their own lives.

As for McCain, I can't stand the fact that it seems like the US is standing still with everything. I don't feel as if we're making any progress with anything. I think having another Bush Buddy in office will keep us barreling full steam ahead into oblivion. Granted it will take Obama time (if he's elected) to make the turn around. I agree this won't happen over night and it's a long process and I agree that you can't leave in the middle of a fight; you have to finish what you started. I’m scared he can still kick the bucket at any time, being old as dirt and all.

The only way I would vote for McCain is if Hilary was up for president.
    09-07-08 08:32 PM
    the only way i would vote for mc cain was if he showed up to my front door with a check in hand that i can fill out the amount and that amount will have to be enough for me and everyone else in the country to survive for the next four years as he and his bush buddies get us in even more shambles, but atleast we will be rich so it wont bother us.....
    09-07-08 08:57 PM
    I wasn't speaking to anything you said, hide. I agree with much of what you have written. The thing I worry about with the debates is that Biden would take Palin lightly simply because she is not well versed in many issues in a substantive way. Her handlers from Washington will do a good job loading her up with "zingers" designed to substitute for knowledge and embarrass Biden. Some voters will misunderstand and think she performed better than she did because they don't have a strong grasp of the issues, either.

Funny, spell check wants to substitute pain for Palin.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-07-08 09:42 PM
    I was pretty undecided before McCain announced Palin. McCain being a centrist made it harder for me to make a decision. But with Palin being uberconservative my choice is Obama.

My biggest beef at this point is that everyone keeps saying that Palin decided to keep her baby. My grandfather (conservative) told me this too. What really bothers me about this statement is this: What is a synonym for decision? CHOICE! She CHOSE to keep her baby. They think that it's this big thing; and I'm sure I'm going to stir up more that I expected with this comment but I just don't understand why people are making that such a huge deal. I believe it is a woman's right to make her own decisions, men too. I don't want people telling me how I have to live my life so I'm going to respect other people and let them live their own lives.

As for McCain, I can't stand the fact that it seems like the US is standing still with everything. I don't feel as if we're making any progress with anything. I think having another Bush Buddy in office will keep us barreling full steam ahead into oblivion. Granted it will take Obama time (if he's elected) to make the turn around. I agree this won't happen over night and it's a long process and I agree that you can't leave in the middle of a fight; you have to finish what you started. I’m scared he can still kick the bucket at any time, being old as dirt and all.

The only way I would vote for McCain is if Hilary was up for president.
    Can you please elaborate further on what you're talking about in the paragraph in which you're talking about Palin. What's your beef about her/her baby? That was the only part of your post above that I didn't fully understand.

Now as for everything else you said; not only do I completely understand what you're saying; but I also completely agree.

I'd kind of caution people on making statements about McCain's age; because even though his age is a very real factor in terms of who would be second in command (Palin) if something were to happen to McCain temporarily or permanently....it's not really his age that's the more pressing concern/issue; it's his 90% backing of Bush these past 8 years; and the fact that should speak for itself.

Neither of the candidates is perfect (neither Obama nor McCain); then again no candidate ever is. So it really comes down to picking the lesser of the "two evils"; and when you view the candidate from 360 degrees (their domestic policy, their foreign policy and everything else down to the minute details)...that's when the voter according to their educated discretion; should cast their vote accordingly.
    09-07-08 09:52 PM
    I put up a couple posts in this thread, the first went into detail about why I cannot support a Republican this election cycle. There are a lot of very important issues that people aren't even talking about that are critical to our nation's future.

You didn't go far enough Hidef when you looked at who has been in charge and running things. A more accurate statement would be Republicans have had the White House for 38 of the last 50 years, and had control of Congress for much of the last 20. How can blame for our problems be placed on the Democrats.

Of the 12 years a Democrat held the presidency, the 8 Clinton years were very good years for us. Inflation and unemployment were at record lows. We actually had a surplus and made a good start paying the national debt. I want to scream when I hear someone say what a terrible job Dems do! Compared to what! If things are bad, Republicans can only look in a mirror to find the culprits.

09-07-08 10:12 PM
    You didn't go far enough Hidef when you looked at who has been in charge and running things. A more accurate statement would be Republicans have had the White House for 38 of the last 50 years, and had control of Congress for much of the last 20. How can blame for our problems be placed on the Democrats.
    exelant; when I said that people should examine the minor details...I was literally implying everything (even what you stated above). And you're absolutely right; thanks for reminding us about that.

People...if you TRULY care for your future, your future's future, your country; THE WORLD...then you should scrutinize how you vote this November; ten fold.
    09-07-08 10:34 PM
    Can you please elaborate further on what you're talking about in the paragraph in which you're talking about Palin. What's your beef about her/her baby? That was the only part of your post above that I didn't fully understand.

Now as for everything else you said; not only do I completely understand what you're saying; but I also completely agree.

I'd kind of caution people on making statements about McCain's age; because even though his age is a very real factor in terms of who would be second in command (Palin) if something were to happen to McCain temporarily or permanently....it's not really his age that's the more pressing concern/issue; it's his 90% backing of Bush these past 8 years; and the fact that should speak for itself.

Neither of the candidates is perfect (neither Obama nor McCain); then again no candidate ever is. So it really comes down to picking the lesser of the "two evils"; and when you view the candidate from 360 degrees (their domestic policy, their foreign policy and everything else down to the minute details)...that's when the voter according to their educated discretion; should cast their vote accordingly.
    I totally agree with the lesser of two evils and everything you have said
    And all I mean by my Palin beef is that she made the CHOICE to keep her baby. But she says she's pro life. Pro life is a choice in itself and the simple fact people (in general) want to dictate others life decisions really bothers me. Don't get me wrong, I know its always going to be there but it's just my opinion.

09-08-08 12:36 AM
    You know, you all keep talkin about "the last 8 years" and how bad it was. Do you know that every democrat for the past 4 elections has wanted to raise taxes!?!? Thus further lining their already bulging pockets with more money! The stimulus pack was a failed attempt as far as the economy goes, but atleast it was an attempt, which is more than I can say for any democrat including Clinton.

09-08-08 07:30 AM
    right now i rather take my chances with barrack and biden
    09-08-08 09:13 AM
    Can I ask an honest question to the republicans on the board? Have your lives gotten better or worse under GOP leadership? I am a die hard Democrat, but I'm honest. If my lifestyle had stayed the same or gotten better over the last 8 years, then I would admit it, begrudgingly though. I think the thing that bothers me the most is that the Republican Party seemed to offer no real solutions at their convention, they told me why Sen. Obama was wrong, but didn't offer up an alternative solution. And then to not acknowledge the utterly disatrous nightmare known as the last 8 years?!! To say we know the American people are suffering and not take some responsibility? That was just disrespectful to me.

And as for new taxes, we have crumbling infastructure, a school system in disarray, all these things will take money to fix. Did you know that the poorest tenth of Americans pay 20% higher taxes than they paid 20 years ago? But here's the best part. The richest tenth are paying 20% LESS! 20% LESS?! And the Republicans have been in the white house the majority of that time. The GOP raises taxes. Just on us poor, broke, little guys. We only matter to them during election time. Obama's plan will raise Americans in pocket money $3000 per annum, and McCain's plan keeps your dough right where it is. There was a study just done by some financial institute I will look it up again and post the link.

In summation, no one cares if gays want to get their unions recognized, it's not taking money out of your pocket. A woman can pay taxes, but can't decide what to do with her reproductive organs?! It's not why your gas prices are so high. Focus on what matters. Food and gas prices, jobs, education. I'm sorry about what happened to Sen. McCain, but I don't think being a POW qualifies you to be president. It moves me about as much as Obama being black moves me because neither has anything to do with leadership skills. NO MORE EMOTIONAL VOTING! VOTE ON THE ISSUES!

09-08-08 09:38 AM
937 ... 45678 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD