150 58.37%
  • McCain

94 36.58%
  • Undecided still

13 5.06%
11-05-08 12:08 PM
937 ... 3233343536 ...
tools
    I don't know your income J, but my wife and I pay a pretty high percentage of ours in taxes, higher than Warren Buffett, lol. I think government is a balancing act. I want a government just large enough to get the job done. If the economy really sours and we have large numbers of unemployed and no other jobs for them, what are we to do? Let them starve? There is the ideal then there is the real world.

Many many communities cannot afford to build water and wastewater utilities without federal assistance, are we to tell them to supply unsafe drinking water, or to pollute the stream receiving their wastewater effluent? How would you feel about not being able to trust your water. One of the services government provides that separate us from third world nations. I can guarantee you your local taxes would be exorbitant without federal assistance.

It is easy to criticize, but sometimes we just need to do what needs to be done because it is right, whether it fits in some narrow ideology or not. I have watched a government run a way I disagree with, and I believe it failed. Now it is time for the other side to give it a go. I will be the first to admit I was wrong if I am. This is the argument that has been going on since the very beginning of our country, and will continue as long as we exists.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-04-08 06:12 PM
    All i can say is what i have said in previous post...A government that can give you everything can take away everything....

As for waistwater utilities i have not heard even 1 mention of this in the election...Sound like the local government needs to find a company that provides this type of service and hire them to fix the problem...AKA the private sector...Not the government.......Why turn to the government for all your help...We are not a country built on Well fair. **** i am struggling i run a finance department at a car dealership. Because my Power bill is $330 should i turn to the government and ask for help and use the fact that car sales SUCK! as a excuse...NO !
    11-04-08 07:04 PM
    Being a client representative for a engineering consulting firm, I represent several local water and/or sewer authorities in SE PA. I also do work for private water and sewer companies. I can tell you that public agencies are much better than private. Their rates are lower, customer service is better, their facilities are in better shape, and the quality of their product is better.
    11-04-08 07:36 PM
    I'm not so sure how well people would like a $300 to $500 dollar monthly water bill, and you can bet a private company will pass on 100% of the cost. I know employees in the field earn the same private or public -- there aren't enough people trained to do the work; I know because we always scramble to find trained employees. These issues were brought up if you were interested in listening.

I still believe there are some services for the public good that government is uniquely qualified to provide, but I'd still be working public or private because I and my people are good at what we do. The big difference is the rank and file would be unionized without a prohibition against striking, as skilled workers always are. The main cost of the service is building the treatment plants. A ten million gallon a day treatment facility costs over 100 million dollars to build. Not many small towns can afford that.

We have different opinions and I believe you are wrong. You won't convince me otherwise, as I suspect I won't convince you. We could go round and round -- and our two sides have for 53 pages. You do seem so angry about it and readily attack those who disagree with you. At this stage of the election season, I don't feel much like taking the bait. Stew in your bitterness my friend while I look to the future. I'd offer a hand of friendship if I thought you'd take it. I might even try harder to understand your point of view if I thought you were capable of compromise.

11-04-08 07:44 PM
    It's looking mighty fine for Obama; in fact...for Democrats as a whole!

::thumbup:: X jagillionbazillion

11-04-08 07:56 PM
    Woot!! I'm sitting on the edge of my seat, literally. I'm not usually this dramatic, for the record.

11-04-08 08:02 PM
    Florida for Obama!

We did it!

11-04-08 08:25 PM
    Congrats to my Liberal Friends,,,,You whooped are a$$...I just hope he is everything you wanted him to be. I will pray everynight you are all right and i was so wrong! This wasnt even close! BOOOOOOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I literally have tears!
    11-04-08 08:25 PM
    This is sweet. Too bad his Grandma died and will not get the chance to celebrate with him and see her grandson make history.

She would be proud.
    11-04-08 08:27 PM
    What have we done.....
    11-04-08 08:28 PM
    I feel your pain j$. But like you said congrats to obama fans and I pray that this won't get as bad as I think it is.

11-04-08 08:29 PM
    Looks like I will be paying for my neighbors rent for the next four years so they can buy an even BIGGER tv and a much nicer car than I could ever dream of. Enjoy!

11-04-08 08:33 PM
    ohio went to obama
    11-04-08 08:33 PM
    Better get some sleep folks.

Attachment 5601
    11-04-08 08:35 PM
    Go Obama. Maybe now I will have more money in my pocket.

11-04-08 08:39 PM
    This thing is over. Thank God. The mere idea of Palin anywhere in
    the corridors of power would be a disaster.

McCain lost my vote with that selection.
    11-04-08 08:41 PM
    LOL i am Dying...Can we all blame this on Bush and the darn Mortgages...

I am not as scared of Obama as i am The controll of the Senate and House and having Nancy and Harry running things i am very scared.....LOL
    11-04-08 08:41 PM
    This thing is over. Thank God. The mere idea of Palin anywhere in
    the corridors of power would be a disaster.

McCain lost my vote with that selection.
    What wrong with Palin....Why does she Scare so many people....Did she say she was going to kill everybody named Richard or nuke Russia...

Please inform me as to why you are scared of her! she will be running in 4 years.
    11-04-08 08:43 PM
    Wow! The McCain supporters are getting a little bitter. Shame How non-conservative of you.

11-04-08 08:44 PM
    What wrong with Palin....Why does she Scare so many people....Did she say she was going to kill everybody named Richard or nuke Russia...

Please inform me as to why you are scared of her! she will be running in 4 years.
    Palin was the single most moronic and cynical VP pick in modern history. She
    simply did not acquit herself well on the public stage. There were many better
    choices for McCain and he went with this airhead for all the wrong reasons.

And in 2012 she will get her a$$ kicked again.
    11-04-08 08:48 PM
    Oh please if obama was losing, all the supporters would be like everyone is racist. Its not over yet lol
    11-04-08 08:51 PM
    AG I have to agree with you on Palin, something about her threw me off the more and more I read about her. I did however vote for McCain because I do agree with some of his economic policies as well as his views on foreign relations. That being said, its clear Obama is going to win this election, there are no bitter feelings on my part I just hope he can deliver on most of his campaign sticking points and pull us out of this major rut we are in.
    Cain- if the situation were reversed, dont you think that some of the liberal supporters on this board would be a little bitter?
    11-04-08 08:57 PM
    Impy, if McCain had chosen say Pawlenty, Romney, Huckabee,
    Crist this would have been a much more difficult decision. But a
    72 year old President with such a lightweight as VP changed this
    Independents mind in a NY minute.
    11-04-08 09:06 PM
    Impy5, Of course I think liberal supporters would be bitter!! If the tides were turned, liberals would be mad not just bitter. I'm not trying to rub it in. I am just so happy that our country can now go in a different direction. This country needs to come together as a nation. We have been split for way too long and its starting to show. I'm not a Democrat. I am registered as an Independent. I just want what's best for our country. Our country doesn't need to change; it must change.

11-04-08 09:12 PM
    AG- youre absolutely right, any one of those would have been a better, safer, choice- I am an independent also so I know where you are coming from. My main hang up with Obama is his spread the wealth policy, that just doesnt really sit well with me. Palin won't be back in 2012, she wont make it out of the primary, there is too much turmoil within the Republican party in regards to her.
    11-04-08 09:13 PM
937 ... 3233343536 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD