Voters
257. You may not vote on this poll
  • Obama

150 58.37%
  • McCain

94 36.58%
  • Undecided still

13 5.06%
    I think you've missed some of the point, Frawg. It is not either or when it comes to defense. Many of us who support Obama have served in the military. Being a Democrat does not mean one does not support the troops or that one is less patriotic. Obama has said time and again we must destroy the radicals who seek to harm us. Unfortunately, none of them are (or were) in Iraq. Now were stuck with trying to get out of that mess and return our focus to Afghanistan. I have been reading some about the events leading up to our involvement in Iraq and even I am surprised by the extent of lies told to us to sell this war.

Many good people I know will vote for McCain, and he is an admirable man. It's just that Democrats have different ideas about how to solve our current problems. McCain is to closely tied to the policies that got us into our current financial mess. No one wants higher taxes, but Obama is the only one who supports tax cuts for us middle income people and not just for the wealthy. Isn't about time we got a real cut?

No one I know is going to call you names for supporting McCain, we will only question your reasons for doing so. I have a hard time understanding the reasons for giving the right anymore chances. We have had a long period of low taxes for the wealthy and a period of almost nonexistent or severely curtailed regulation and look at what it has done for us. Just pick up a paper - even the right wing Wall Street Journal. What do you think about the AIG executives who went off on a company paid retreat to a luxury resort and spent thousands on spa visits right after their company was bailed out?

I recently received a retirement statement from my employer, looks like early retirement is no longer an option. I am luckier than many people because I have a fixed benefit plan, but I also have no say over how investments are made. The current losses the plan has suffered have pushed back most retirement dates -- and that statement doesn't include the latest round of losses. I have worked there for 30 years, what's another 12 years instead of the 5 I had planned. Thank you Republican leaders.

I come from a military and working class background. I was always taught that the Republicans do not support working class people. This is, as far as I can see, the truth. If it isn't, please enlighten me. Exactly which White House/Republican policy has encouraged good jobs to stay in America? I forget, which ruling by the White House controlled NLRB was it that helped workers organize to negotiate better wages while Wall Street got those fantastic bonuses and tax cuts? Oh, and what trade policy was it that opened other markets up to our dwindling number of manufactured goods and thereby saving American jobs?

Frawg, I think you're probably a great person. Supporting McCain doesn't make you a racist or a homophobe. You are just someone who believes doing the same thing over and over again will lead to different results. I must respectfully disagree with you, but sure don't dislike you because we have different views on solving the problems facing our country. Nothing can ruin my good mood today, my wife is in Germany on her way home from Iraq, whew, she made it out safely, again.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Very well put!!

I am glad to hear that your wife is on her way home.
    10-07-08 07:58 PM
    I've read through many of the comments posted here and I have concluded that when I vote for McCain, It is possible I will be branded as a racist, homophobe, gun toting goober that has a confederate flag in the back window of my pickup truck.

I will also be told I am insensitive to the needs of the poor because I support tax cuts. It is likely my friends on the left would call me a war monger because I support the outstanding work our Armed Forces does to fight terrorism over there, not over here.

As an interesting aside, I really have no desire to see anyone elected President of the US that has the support of the rest of the world leaders. I am very suspicious of the world view and why we go to such lengths to hold their opinion on sacred grounds.

Lastly, we cannot eliminate the high price of gasoline and other oil based products by putting more air in our tires as was suggested by Senator Obama. This reasoning alone is sufficient to vote for senator McCain.

Good Luck Senator McCain. You have my vote.

PS...your running mate is cute.

I heard on the radio last night (850am KOA/Denver) that Obama-lama (sorry it sounded cool) was being "endorsed" OFFICIALLY by Daniel Noriega, Mohamar Khadafi, Kim Jung "Mentally" Ill, and the terrorist lead government of Lebanon...Hamas!

It was said, although I have checked, that all of these claims can be found on each of these groups "OFFICIAL" websites....very spooky!!

10-07-08 08:02 PM
    Hello Jedi. While we disagree, I respect your opinion and I am delighted to hear that your wife is on her way home from service in Iraq.

Thank you very much, it is sincerely appreciated.

10-07-08 08:21 PM
    Exelant....I mistakenly thanked Jedi for your response to me. I'm still learning the ropes here and obviously responded to the wrong poster. Sorry.

Thank you once again for your service.

10-07-08 08:26 PM
    Hi Woody!

In Denver, KOA is known as a rightwing outlet. Their news feed comes from Fox. If you were listening to it at night, you were probably listening to Gunny Bob -- a guy who never met a conspiracy theory he didn't love or Jon Caldera head of the Independence Institute -- a very conservative think tank and admirer of everything conservative. Aside from sports programming, Rockies and Broncos, KOA has NO moderate or liberal shows. Not one. There is Rick Barber for four hours four nights a week from 1:00 AM to 5:00 AM, he's a libertarian . The point is that it is not a credible source for unbiased "reporting." Consevatives rail against the liberal media, KOA is the same the other way. And Gunny Bob would say anything to discredit Obama, anything.

But hey, there are a few upstanding foreign governments who like McCain, like Saudi Arabia and Communist China. I'm just bring this up so people know the source of the information is a little suspect. Hope you're doing well, though.

10-07-08 08:43 PM
    I heard on the radio last night (850am KOA/Denver) that Obama-lama (sorry it sounded cool) was being "endorsed" OFFICIALLY by Daniel Noriega, Mohamar Khadafi, Kim Jung "Mentally" Ill, and the terrorist lead government of Lebanon...Hamas!

It was said, although I have NOT checked, that all of these claims can be found on each of these groups "OFFICIAL" websites....very spooky!!

10-07-08 08:44 PM
    Tonight's debate should make for an interesting one; especially given the subject of it: the economy.

I'd also like to add that I find it pretty deplorable...yet not surprising at the least bit; that McCain and Palin are resorting to outrageous smear tactics on Obama; when the issue of the economy affecting Americans...isn't being clearly talked about by McCain and Palin.
    Watching the debate now...and the smear tactics continue. Some of the topics I admit are over my head and I need to become more educated on them but I appreciate the fact that the Obama/Biden campaign address the issues and answer the questions instead of the finger pointing and dancing around the answers that I see from the McCain/Palin camp.
    10-07-08 08:50 PM
    exelant 01:43 AM Today -- [Ed] [Reply] [!!] Hi Woody!In Denver, KOA is known as a rightwing outlet. Their news feed comes from Fox. If you were listening to it at night, you were probably listening to Gunny Bob -- a guy who never met a conspiracy theory he didn't love or Jon Caldera head of the Independence Institute -- a very conservative think tank and admirer of everything conservative. Aside from sports programming, Rockies and Broncos, KOA has NO moderate or liberal shows. Not one. There is Rick Barber for four hours four nights a week from 1:00 AM to 5:00 AM, he's a libertarian :-). The point is that it is not a credible source for unbiased "reporting." Consevatives rail against the liberal media, KOA is the same the other way. And Gunny Bob would say anything to discredit Obama, anything.But hey, there are a few upstanding foreign governments who like McCain, like Saudi Arabia and Communist China. I'm just bring this up so people know the source of the information is a little suspect. Hope you're doing well, though. :-)Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

10-07-08 08:51 PM
    Thanks Frawg.
    Too often during elections people get upset and feel they or their ideas are being attacked and that they need to attack back. I personally like people of all political beliefs, and I try to separate the politics from the person. It's not always possible, but I try.

I've mentioned this before, but so the newer members know, my wife works for a defense contractor. She is an environmental, health and safety manager. Part of her job is to audit, or inspect military installations to make sure civilian employees are following hazardous waste disposal and worker safety regulations. I'm proud of her, her job is dangerous. She goes all over the world, including Afghanistan, Iraq, Kuwait, Kerjikistan(sp? I always get this one wrong haha), Bosnia, Qatar, UAE, Curcao, Columbia and Germany. When in war zones, the US Military often flies her where she needs to go by helicopter. She does have to go by ground a bunch, too. I hate that part -- scares the heck out of me. That's why I am so relieved when she comes home,

10-07-08 09:14 PM
    I've read through many of the comments posted here and I have concluded that when I vote for McCain, It is possible I will be branded as a racist, homophobe, gun toting goober that has a confederate flag in the back window of my pickup truck.

I will also be told I am insensitive to the needs of the poor because I support tax cuts. It is likely my friends on the left would call me a war monger because I support the outstanding work our Armed Forces does to fight terrorism over there, not over here.

As an interesting aside, I really have no desire to see anyone elected President of the US that has the support of the rest of the world leaders. I am very suspicious of the world view and why we go to such lengths to hold their opinion on sacred grounds.

Lastly, we cannot eliminate the high price of gasoline and other oil based products by putting more air in our tires as was suggested by Senator Obama. This reasoning alone is sufficient to vote for senator McCain.

Good Luck Senator McCain. You have my vote.

PS...your running mate is cute.
    If any person calls you such things simply because you aren't leaning for Obama; and rather McCain...well those are baseless generalizations. Likewise, no one should ever vote; and conversely NOT vote for either of the two candidates w/o sincere and objective research and thought.

How can you trust a man to this nations highest secrets and to lead this nation when he can not even pass the security clearance for one of his own body gaurds. This is because of his known and admitted friendship with a known terrorist.

If you ? Obama now, you are a racist. Imagine what what you are going to be called when he is the President. A terrorist!
    You know, my friend exelant is a bit more restrained than I am when it comes to responses...however I'll say that by the things you've said above; and the tone it resonates...you're simply yet another Limbaugh bobblehead that happens to know how to type (well, sort of).

When you have others doing unbalanced and subjective thinking for you...it's one of the most unpatriotic and irresponsible things.

Nothing can ruin my good mood today, my wife is in Germany on her way home from Iraq, whew, she made it out safely, again.
    That's great to hear; I think your wife is a brave individual.
    Last edited by Hi-Definition; 10-07-08 at 10:04 PM.
    10-07-08 10:00 PM
    its all about the economy....
    10-07-08 10:16 PM
    Thanks A Def! It was a bit more tense this time. They're on guard for an October Surprise. A great surprise would be taking Iraq off her schedule. Come on Obama!

10-07-08 10:19 PM
    Obama!!! Period! I'm tired of getting reamed by Republicans while they get richer by simply making the working class work harder to put more money in their pockets. Besides, if you want to see this from a dumbed down viewpoint, how do you think the system and country will fare if God forbid McCain wins and something happens to his health where Ms. Maverick has to step in. OMG, we might as well all jump into the ocean now. No foreign national or (for the sake of argument) terrorist is going to take her seriously. Give me a break!

It's time to change things, eight years is enough. If you vote for McCain it'll be Reagan all over again. We need someone in office that's going to check the big businesses that are making money hand over fist at the expense of the little person and that's Obama!
    Last edited by JRSCCivic98; 10-07-08 at 10:41 PM.
    10-07-08 10:31 PM
    Hi-def, I swear, I never tire of reading your posts..

10-07-08 10:31 PM
    Viva la Reagan!

10-07-08 10:35 PM
    I am not the one slinging names around and ragging on petty things like typing. This keyboard is awful small!
    Anyway...I vote on PROVEN FACTS, NOT on who my party tells me to vote for. You should see my front yard! I have republican AND dem signs!
    I am a 12hr swing shift worker who works hard for my money and I would like to use it wisely and give it to people who NEED it NOT hand it over to people who think they DESERVE it.
    Again, I am looking at facts not following the shepard leading the flock.

10-07-08 11:01 PM
    P.s. I am proud to be a "gun toting goober"!!!

10-07-08 11:19 PM
    This world needs a lot less Bob Nardelli's. He wrecked GE, REALLY ran Home Depot into the ground (he was given something like a $40mil "severence." Basically he was paid off to keep his mouth shut all while taking away ALL employee "perks" [discounts, employee of the month, ect.]). Now he's the CEO of Chrysler. Kiss them goodbye. I give it 5 years before Chrysler is totally gone.

Anywho, Obama would stop this. McCain encourages it. Not cool in my book.

10-07-08 11:39 PM
    See that's the thing that gets me Smokey. Your biggest concern is something that has gone away. We don't give welfare money to poor people anymore. It's two years and out -- and you better be going to school and getting ready to work because that is the only option. That is a fact, and it was signed into law by a Democrat.

The only people getting welfare work on wall street, and that is also a fact. I own guns and no one is coming to get them. I came up through the ranks. I was a shift worker, blue collar guy. I know the only party that cares about me or workers like you is the Democratic Party. Please, just tell me what the Republicans have done for you? I'll tell you what, NOTHING! NADA! ZIP!

You're voting slogans, look at the facts and tell me I'm wrong. Please tell me one piece of legislation they passed that helped you in your life. Just one.

10-08-08 01:14 AM
    See that's the thing that gets me Smokey. Your biggest concern is something that has gone away. We don't give welfare money to poor people anymore. It's two years and out -- and you better be going to school and getting ready to work because that is the only option. That is a fact, and it was signed into law by a Democrat.

The only people getting welfare work on wall street, and that is also a fact. I own guns and no one is coming to get them. I came up through the ranks. I was a shift worker, blue collar guy. I know the only party that cares about me or workers like you is the Democratic Party. Please, just tell me what the Republicans have done for you? I'll tell you what, NOTHING! NADA! ZIP!

You're voting slogans, look at the facts and tell me I'm wrong. Please tell me one piece of legislation they passed that helped you in your life. Just one.

Exelant- I would probably agree with those characterizations of the hosts, except for Barber....who's clearly a liberal and a vocal Bush basher. And the Big Steve guy is a waste of air-time...IMO.

But all the claims that I spoke of, came from Amelia Earhardt!!! I bet she's gotta a Blackberry with some nice pics, eh?

10-08-08 05:01 AM
    Well the facts for me are in my back yard. I bought my house 4 years ago and the two houses behind me are HUD houses. These two famlies pay nill for their rent and utilities. Guess who pays for it. Me. They have 2 new cars each, a flat screen tv that I can see from across the field and they can buy real Cherioos instead of the Wall- mart brand most people buy to save money. Somebody doesn't know how to count because they have lived there before I showed up. Two years? Huh? That's funny!
    Neither one is perfact, but I feel I am voting for the lesser of the two evils.
    And if you have done any homework at all you will see that the legislation is controled by the dems. That's the people who vote on and pass laws.
    Now that I have put my opinion out there I hope everybody will do a little research before they vote. Not just pull the lever for dem or rep.

Last edited by smokeyjoe; 10-08-08 at 05:40 AM.
    10-08-08 05:32 AM
    exelant is correct - the republicans (especially mccain) are about as anti-labor as one group can get so if you're a union man/woman watch out...smokeyjoe, yes the dems controll the legislation, however, as soon as the republicans lost control of the majority THAT was when bush began using the veto. if both sides want to talk about compromises and bipartisian ship it's the dems that have reached across the table and made concessions and broke party lines to pass the legistlation that bush would actually sign.
    10-08-08 06:52 AM
    A GREAT read: beyond media sound bites and brief debates.

Amazon:Books:The Audacity of Hope: Thoughts on Reclaiming the American Dream (Vintage):Barack Obama:African-American & Black

Obama/Biden '08

10-08-08 06:59 AM
    Well the facts for me are in my back yard. I bought my house 4 years ago and the two houses behind me are HUD houses. These two famlies pay nill for their rent and utilities. Guess who pays for it. Me. They have 2 new cars each, a flat screen tv that I can see from across the field and they can buy real Cherioos instead of the Wall- mart brand most people buy to save money. Somebody doesn't know how to count because they have lived there before I showed up. Two years? Huh? That's funny!
    Neither one is perfact, but I feel I am voting for the lesser of the two evils.
    And if you have done any homework at all you will see that the legislation is controled by the dems. That's the people who vote on and pass laws.
    Now that I have put my opinion out there I hope everybody will do a little research before they vote. Not just pull the lever for dem or rep.

That was one mangled labyrinth of a post above (particularly the first half of it). I respect that you consider yourself neither a Republican nor a Democrat-labeled voter. But if you consider yourself as such; then wouldn't you be able to decipher who the better of the choices we have in front of us...is.

It is so painfully obvious (it literally hurts; sort of an acute pain) that Obama has a clearer picture of implementing and acting on an economical plan, a healthcare plan...and a more effective plan on approaching foreign policy..compared to his counterpart McCain. Obama provides the numbers behind his approach, Obama provides a blueprint of how he'd institute the numbers into the direction to reach certain goals domestically and internationally.

What is sad is the way the mindset that a lot of both Republicans and Democrats have..many Republicans for example acknowledge that their party's ticket is utterly sub-par; yet they say they'll still vote for the Republican ticket; because they can't bring themselves to vote for Obama. And likewise; I'm sure some people are going to vote for Obama mainly because they've always voted along Democratic-lines.
    But you know what; it just so happens that this election year's Democratic-ticket is truly the better and smarter choice for our country; and not JUST our country. The world isn't a micro-cosm balled up into America as its beacon anymore; our world is a intertwined macro canvas...where the security and livelihood of one nation is just as dependent on that of another nation. Tailored dipomacy with credibility attached to it is needed for this.

Obama and Biden are the two for achieving, maintaining and sustaining this.
    10-08-08 10:57 AM
    I think you've nailed it this time, Def. This thread has really caused me to focus and put into words the reasons I support Obama. It isn't just being a Democrat -- I have voted for Republicans, and the quality of your arguments force me to try to be a little smarter, lol. But something about the candidates has been nagging at me and you have jogged it to the surface; Obama is the most prepared to be president! And if one is honest, it was obvious during the debate.

John McCain is an honorable man, but it seems he does not have any plans for the problems that face us with the exception of dealing with the Russians. Too often it seemed as if he was saying, "Oh yeah, buster, well I'm gonna," it seemed contrived and a reaction to what Barrack was saying. Nothing original, and no solutions, it is like the economy doesn't matter to him. It is like he doesn't understand that $5000 isn't enough to buy health insurance for a family of three, or that it's closer to $12,000 and that most people can't afford that much.

It is becoming obvious that Obama is more prepared and I believe he is simply smarter. He has thought about the issues and is prepared to start work from day one. McCain has decided to start personal attacks because he can't keep up with Barrack's ideas and plans. I am not attacking McCain for his intelligence. I know he is very bright -- one doesn't make it through any Service Academy if you aren't, but he doesn't have fresh ideas.

John seems stuck in the last century. He is not interested in domestic policy so he doesn't plan for those problems. He isn't interested in equal trade between us and those with high tariffs, so he doesn't plan for those problems. He can't get the connection between good jobs leaving the country and lower wages, so he has no plans for that either.

Clearly we need someone prepared to deal with many different types of problems, not just those that interests him. It is time for someone who has more than one side.

10-08-08 06:04 PM
937 ... 1819202122 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD