Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Good idea

9 50.00%
  • Bad idea

7 38.89%
  • No opinion at this time

2 11.11%
    Laws to ban this activity are appearing in some areas. It would be interesting to get opinions on this.
    11-02-08 11:54 AM
    Its a great idea, however people will still text and drive...like myself.
    11-02-08 11:59 AM
    I'm not saying its something that should be done, but a law may be a bit much. Anywho I don't know anyone that's done this.

*looks away trying to not look guilty

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-02-08 12:09 PM
    While I do text and drive, I certainly don't advocate for it to be done. However its going to be hard to police this ban.

11-02-08 12:14 PM
    Good idea to ban it... It's banned in MA already I do believe. Only times I use it while in traffic is stuck in traffic tie-ups thanks to construction or road work areas... Or at overly long red lights.. Otherwise I wait until I'm in a parking lot or something.
    11-02-08 12:34 PM
    Hard to believe they have to pass a law on this. I thought it was a case of common sense not to text and drive. Then again, maybe i'm just jealous that I don't have that kind of talent...

11-02-08 12:41 PM
    Its a great idea, however people will still text and drive...like myself.
    Agreed. lol i would still do it, until they get a VERY good voice to text app, then i would just talk and text hahaha.
    11-02-08 01:05 PM
    I find myself texting while driving , walking, cooking, and .... just about all the time. I would still drive and text I'm addicted there is no going back.
    11-02-08 01:08 PM
    I think California needed to ban texting, rather than just talking on phones in the first place. Most kids on the road are TEXTing while driving, not talking on the phone. I mean, I'm definitely guilty of doing it. So are my friends, driving with one knee, using both hands to text, and of course their eyes are all over the place.

It'll definitely be hard to police, but it's hard enough to police the talking on the phone law here. Everyone still talks on the phone driving anyway. I mean, CA doesn't really care in either case...

11-02-08 01:17 PM
    I've had someone almost swerve into me because she was texting during rush-hour traffic and didn't see the car in front stop. On two other occasions, I've seen people drift onto the grass shoulder cause they were texting. It also happened once to me when my friend was driving and drifted off the road while doing 70 cause of texting.

I don't think it's a good idea haha
    11-02-08 01:32 PM
    Pass or not, it'll still won't stop people. We've had the headset law in California since July and I see people tallking on their phones all the time.

11-02-08 03:22 PM
    I've witnessed one accident directly caused by texting (id10t texting, forgot she was driving apparently and ran a red light, running into someone). I've witnessed innumerable instances of people nearly getting into accidents due to playing with phones and/or other distractions.

The bottom line is that distracted driving causes accidents no matter what you're doing besides focusing on driving.

11-02-08 05:09 PM
    Yes, ban driving while texting! Driving is a huge distraction. I don't think anyone would disagree that driving increases the likelihood of spelling errors and slows down texting speed. Drunk texting is bad enough. Let's not add any more activities that can cause disastrous texting accidents.
    11-02-08 07:03 PM
    Yes, ban driving while texting! Driving is a huge distraction. I don't think anyone would disagree that driving increases the likelihood of spelling errors and slows down texting speed. Drunk texting is bad enough. Let's not add any more activities that can cause disastrous texting accidents.
    Amen to that. Lol

11-02-08 07:11 PM
    While I do text and drive, I certainly don't advocate for it to be done. However its going to be hard to police this ban.

Same here. I try not to do it since it really isn't that safe
    11-02-08 09:00 PM
    as a constant drive-n-txt person...its prob best if they made it a law to not do it. although it was the other guys fault for making an ilegal left....i almost smashed into a guy today cuz i was txting
    11-03-08 12:23 AM
    I do it. I don't plan on stopping. But it is stupid. But what are the laws going to say? TXTing only? What about BBM? What about checking my calendar to see if I'm going to be late for my meeting? Google Maps to see where I'm going? Contacts to get an address?

Again, I don't plan on stopping, but I acknowledge it's dangerous...
    11-03-08 03:51 AM
    The laws should say simply driving while distracted. To include everything besides driving the vehicle including everything but the speakerphone provided you don't look at it to dial. Also to include everything else preventing people from paying attention.
    11-03-08 03:55 AM
    The laws should say simply driving while distracted. To include everything besides driving the vehicle including everything but the speakerphone provided you don't look at it to dial. Also to include everything else preventing people from paying attention.
    Adjusting the radio? Looking at the GPS? Putting your seat belt on? Drinking a beverage?
    So instead of a narrow law banning a few activities, you want a broad law exemption lots of activities?
    11-03-08 04:12 AM
    Yes. If you can adjust the radio or gps without looking at them, fine, legal. When driving your eyes need to be focused outside as much as possible. Scan to the front, sides and back, plan an escape route if needed, etc.

Since auto accidents kill and injure exponentially more people than firearms (at least in the US), I don't think it is unreasonable to require people to pay attention while driving, and issue them a fine if observed not paying attention.

11-03-08 07:51 AM
    People who text and drive are ID*OTS!! What could be so important that it can't wait til your at your destination? Why risk the lives of others just because you want to keep your social life up?

I know from experience. I was involved in a wreck cause some DUM*A$$ decided she wanted to text while going 70 MPH. Laws like this need to be in every state!! And they need to enforce it like they do the seatbelt laws!

11-03-08 08:07 AM
    i'm not sure where i stand on this issue. i do think texting and driving is very dangerous. But so is playing with the radio sometimes, eating, applying makeup, having an argument while driving, looking down at a map or mapquest directions and daydreaming.

i think a law banning calling and texting would discourage folks from those actions and possibly lower accidents caused by those actions.

But it may be a slippery slope as well because there are many other distractions that are just as dangerous. Do you make a law to ban all those actions? What are my civil rights here? eating while driving is just as dangerous. Outlaw the drive through?

Also, how can the police prove that someone is texting? People can text down by their knee and erase logs and say they were adjusting the radio.

i'm not sure i even understand seat belt laws. Can someone explain that? It is for insurance reasons? i don't think it's a law for safety concern because then wouldn't cigarette smoking be against the law? i read that sometimes seat belts do more harm than good in some cases. Not allowing the person to be ejected from a vehicle for example.

So, i'm not sure. i do think it is very dangerous to text and drive. i used to do it and i saw that i swerved and was distracted, so i stopped. i do however change the radio stations incessantly.

Just be careful out there everyone, please.

Last edited by chrisy520; 11-03-08 at 08:49 AM.
    11-03-08 08:19 AM
    Laws will be passed...not very many people will stop. Its as simple as that.

11-04-08 10:04 AM
    I find myself texting while driving , walking, cooking, and .... just about all the time. I would still drive and text I'm addicted there is no going back.
    Tesa - what city do you live in and what's your license plate number? PM me before you come to Jacksonville! (j/k)
    11-04-08 11:57 AM
    Vlingo... Speech to text... Download it if your worried. Although I tried it and it kept getting all the words wrong so I ended up messing with it and that was scarier then just texting I went from worried to scared

11-04-08 12:26 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD