If that's what you believe, then you are the racist. I don't automatically associate blacks or hispanics with being "ghetto". Ghetto to me means the part of town that is poor and rundown- it often includes old delapidated houses, trashy apartments, trailer parks, and government housing- although none of these are exclusive to "ghetto"
    I suggest you do a poll and see what you get.

BTW I am the farthest thing from a racist that there ever was! The way my parents raised me, life experiences, and family provides me and has provided me with the ability to not be racist.

Color blind....when you get to that point, you will truly see!!
    10-11-08 06:33 PM
    Color blind? I'm not the one who assumed that the ghetto is full of black people.
    10-11-08 06:36 PM
    PC? never!! HC buddy....Humanly Correct!!!
    10-11-08 06:36 PM
    Color blind? I'm not the one who assumed that the ghetto is full of black people.
    ^see above.
    10-11-08 06:39 PM
    I know the ghetto isn't full of black people. The word ghetto is associated with blacks and could have been offensive to some people. That is all I had to say about it until you tried to defend your statement. And as you bulit your case you made yourself out to be better than people living in the ghetto cause of where you live. Afterwards, I have merely tried to show you that crime is crime and apparently it happens everywhere OMG!!! It's not just a ghetto thang!!!

So instead of the some hispanic or black guy in the ghetto stealing the tailgate off your dad's truck....some affluent white guy did in your upscale neighborhood.

Color blind!
    10-11-08 06:46 PM
    I seriously doubt that "some affluent white guy" did it. I'll bet that it was someone who really needed the money. Yes, crime happens everywhere, but it is definitely more common in some areas, and if you don't believe that then you're living in a hole.
    And I'm not better than the people in those areas because of my place of residence, I'm better because I would not steal! (and yes, I know there are honest people in those places, i'm just speaking in general)
    10-11-08 06:55 PM
    You guys realize the whole thing is stupid, right?

I don't associate "ghetto" with black people any more than I associate "affluent" with white people. Ghetto is an accurate description of a typically low income crime ridden area. There is no color associated with it and if you fo happen to associate a color with it, then you are the racist.

Just let the theft be a reminder to everybody that crime isn't always limited to "somewhere else". Stay vigilent and stay safe. Just because you're in a nice neighborhood, one can't just assume you'll be immune to crime.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-11-08 06:56 PM

I don't associate "ghetto" with black people any more than I associate "affluent" with white people. Ghetto is an accurate description of a typically low income crime ridden area. There is no color associated with it and if you fo happen to associate a color with it, then you are the racist.
    thank you, thank you very much!
    10-11-08 06:58 PM
    You guys realize the whole thing is stupid, right?

Just let the theft be a reminder to everybody that crime isn't always limited to "somewhere else". Stay vigilent and stay safe. Just because you're in a nice neighborhood, one can't just assume you'll be immune to crime.

Sure whatever....my point was be mindful of what you say has is can come across offensive to soem people. Regardless of what your intent was sometimes it is good to consider the perception in which it could be taken.

I am not a racist, I could hate based on color, sex, religion, CLASS, residence...but I can't cause I am all of those by birth and family!

Colorblind!!!

Done!
    10-11-08 07:22 PM
    You cannot say anything that absolutely cannot be taken the wrong way by someone who wants to take it wrong. I think most "reasonable" people understand that it is not intended to be an insult. The ones who can't might not be the most "reasonable".

That applies to literally anything that can be said. It is a waste of time to worry so much about being offensive if that is obvious to most reasonable people that it isn't your intent to be offensive.

10-11-08 07:33 PM
    You cannot say anything that absolutely cannot be taken the wrong way by someone who wants to take it wrong. I think most "reasonable" people understand that it is not intended to be an insult. The ones who can't might not be the most "reasonable".

That applies to literally anything that can be said. It is a waste of time to worry so much about being offensive if that is obvious to most reasonable people that it isn't your intent to be offensive.

It isn't about being worried. It is about be conscience of others. And how broad generalizations and words can be offensive to others.
    10-11-08 07:41 PM
    I cannot believe this stupid a*s thread is still going over someone's word choice.

The people who are getting riled up over the word "ghetto" need to get over themselves. (Not you envied. )

People are NOT equal and never will be. But this isn't defined by class, money, location, race, sex, oe ANY of that. What it comes down to is how we are MORALLY. The sooner everyone realizes that, the better. There's good and bad in every class and race. For anyone to think anything else is just ignorant.

10-11-08 07:41 PM
    I cannot believe this stupid a*s thread is still going over someone's word choice.

The people who are getting riled up over the word "ghetto" need to get over themselves. (Not you envied. )

People are NOT equal and never will be. But this isn't defined by class, money, location, race, sex, oe ANY of that. What it comes down to is how we are MORALLY. The sooner everyone realizes that, the better. There's good and bad in every class and race. For anyone to think anything else is just ignorant.

I have not said anything different.

But like I said lets start throwing words of all kind out there! Who cares if it offends someone the "I am all that matters."
    mentality is crap!!!!
    Last edited by Jedi_Blackberry; 10-11-08 at 07:50 PM.
    10-11-08 07:46 PM
    Death penalty for thieves. May sound extreme but that's how I thought when my stuff's been stolen.

10-11-08 07:50 PM
    Death penalty for thieves. May sound extreme but that's how I thought when my stuff's been stolen.

Sounds good to me!!!
    10-11-08 07:52 PM
    I have not said anything different.

But like I said lets start throwing words of all kind out there! Who cares if it offends someone the "I am all that matters."
    mentality is crap!!!!
    I think you're being way too extreme. Who even said that mentality was the way to go!?

10-11-08 07:55 PM
    I think you're being way too extreme. Who even said that mentality was the way to go!?

In all honesty this doesn't affect me. My only point is sometimes it is good to be mindful of what you say or in this case type because some people may take offense.

If I were to say I called that b*tch. That could be offensive to you as a woman only because that is a term used to reference a woman that is not well liked or to whom someone has a problem with. But the true definition is that of a female dog.

The offensivness (sp) is not always in the word used but rather its perception or inference.
    10-11-08 08:10 PM
    In all honesty this doesn't affect me. My only point is sometimes it is good to be mindful of what you say or in this case type because some people may take offense.

If I were to say I called that b*tch. That could be offensive to you as a woman only because that is a term used to reference a woman that is not well liked or to whom someone has a problem with. But the true definition is that of a female dog.

The offensivness (sp) is not always in the word used but rather its perception or inference.
    Valid point. But it did seem that you got mad.

10-11-08 08:22 PM

Which is precisely the reason to not take words out of the context they're being used in. You can't focus on a particular word and ignore the context. If its being used in a non-offensive manner, treat it as such.

In your example, if someone knew you were talking about a dog a reasonable person wouldn't let it bother them. However if you're talking about your gf, wife, someone else, etc people might take offense and rightly so.

10-11-08 09:39 PM
    Unless you just don't care. I will call my wife a bi1�h if she's acting like one. She does the same for me. It keeps the balance up.

10-12-08 09:40 PM
    Unless you just don't care. I will call my wife a bi1�h if she's acting like one. She does the same for me. It keeps the balance up.

See, now I would smack my boyfriend in the face if he called me a *****.

10-12-08 09:42 PM
    See, now I would smack my boyfriend in the face if he called me a *****.

I have to agree with you Jenay! My wife and I have been married for 12 years and have never called each other out of name.
    10-12-08 09:50 PM
    Relax there folks, its called a joke.

10-12-08 09:53 PM
    I have to agree with you Jenay! My wife and I have been married for 12 years and have never called each other out of name.
    Does that include under your breath and in your head???????
    10-12-08 09:55 PM
    Does that include under your breath and in your head???????
    Both....I can't expect my kids to respect my wife if I don't!
    Don't get me wrong she can nerve me and at those times it's a real struggle, but so far so good.
    10-12-08 10:11 PM
100 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD