Both....I can't expect my kids to respect my wife if I don't!
    Don't get me wrong she can nerve me and at those times it's a real struggle, but so far so good.
    hmmm I agree with the respect. However, I have called my husband plenty of names in my mind----no harm no foul!!!!!!
    10-12-08 10:12 PM
    hmmm I agree with the respect. However, I have called my husband plenty of names in my mind----no harm no foul!!!!!!
    But that is just the same as doing....according to the Good Book. IMO
    10-12-08 10:15 PM
    Lol. I've thought the boy was acting a certain way lots of times, but I'd never call him anything - and I'd certainly expect the same.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-12-08 10:33 PM
    To go off-topic for a minute..
    I got the tailgate replaced. $700.
    10-13-08 08:02 AM
    To go off-topic for a minute..
    I got the tailgate replaced. $700.
    Sorry to hear that it cost so much.
    10-13-08 08:47 AM
    The was completely on topic. Good to see me and jedi FINALLY agree on something. $700 seems kinda high to me but I can't say I've ever really priced tailgates.

10-13-08 08:27 PM
    $450, plus paint.
    10-16-08 08:34 AM
    $450, plus paint.
    The gate was $450 plus paint....total cost?

Thought it was $700?
    10-16-08 08:39 AM
    $700, after paint.
    10-16-08 08:43 AM
    Jedi, why for the sake of maintaining serenity in God's plush and magnanimous earth would you even want to make a mountain out of an ant hill over the use of the word ghetto in this instance?

This is nit-picking at best.

I was born and raised in Chicago; in a neighborhood I'd classify as working middle class consisting of whites, puerto ricans, blacks, asians...all colors of the rainbow and more colors than light sabers come in (you like that? ;-)). But living in the confounds of a large city and spending time in parts of it that would make a darfur rebel soldier's machede melt..I've seen predominately white ghettos, predominately black ghettos, etc. If you ask these people; they'll admit they live in the ghetto/'hood'. Because where they live has all the qualities of what a ghetto usually is accompanied with...crime, mass graffiti, shoddy housing, sub-par schools and the artery clogging-fare of fast food chains (no you won't find panera bread; not even subway...heck; taco bell is considered a healthy eatery in some parts).

The point? When someone refers to the variables accompanying an event as ghetto/not-ghetto...not even certified-ghetto residential areas and their residents would dispute. No big deal.
    10-16-08 09:05 AM
    Jedi, why for the sake of maintaining serenity in God's plush and magnanimous earth would you even want to make a mountain out of an ant hill over the use of the word ghetto in this instance?

I was born and raised in Chicago; in a neighborhood I'd classify as working middle class consisting of whites, puerto ricans, blacks, asians...all colors of the rainbow and more colors than light sabers come in (you like that? ;-)). But living in the confounds of a large city and spending time in parts of it that would make a darfur rebel soldier's machede melt..I've seen predominately white ghettos, predominately black ghettos, etc. If you ask these people; they'll admit they live in the ghetto/'hood'. Because where they live has all the qualities of what a ghetto usually is accompanied with...crime, mass graffiti, shoddy housing, sub-par schools and the artery clogging-fare of fast food chains (no you won't find panera bread; not even subway...heck; taco bell is considered a healthy eatery in some parts).

The point? When someone refers to the variables accompanying an event as ghetto/not-ghetto...not even certified-ghetto residential areas and their residents would dispute. No big deal.
    if this forum had reps, i'd give 'em to ya.
    10-16-08 09:24 AM
    Ghetto....nice choice of words. Some one could take offense.

Sorry the tailgate got lifted. Hope those black guys bring it back...oh wait, you said Lackland AFB...that's in TX....San Antonio area so it could have been some Hispanic or white guys as well.

Better choice of words...low income, it doesn't imply a particular group.

Just saying.
    Believe it or not...White people live in the ghetto too...

Dm
    10-16-08 12:28 PM

You are so right Hi-Def...I was so wrong in thinking that someone might find the reference to ghetto as offensive.

I too grow up in middle class america...mom and dad were military I have had the pleasure of living in a lot of place and enteracting with a lot of races.

The word just implies or denotes a minority group as per the definition. I think a better word would have been lower income. But look at it from a different prespective what if he would have said white trash part of the city or trailer park. What comes to mind first. And that is what I was getting at!!

I was not offended by what he said but I realize that others could have been. Should I have said something maybe not but I firmly believe that race relations start with me! I can't complain about black people not liking white people or vise versa if I am not mindful of their feelings in any way shape or form.
    10-16-08 08:26 PM
    If I had said "white trash" that would've been different. Trailer park- well, that's part of the ghetto, man!
    10-17-08 09:07 AM
    it would be interesting to point out that blacks represent 12 percent of the population yet comprise forty percent of the prison population...
    Last edited by vinnie_dugan; 10-17-08 at 09:27 AM.
    10-17-08 09:25 AM
    If I had said "white trash" that would've been different. Trailer park- well, that's part of the ghetto, man!
    I really don't want to rehash this. We disagree on the choice of words...and I am ok with that. The things that I tend to be sensitive towards I can't expect you to be because we come from 2 different places.

All I suggested was that you be mindful of those places when choosing your words because some people may find it offensive.

When I hear trailer park I think of white people majority not well to do, wife beater tee shirt and rusted out Duster or Continental car in the gravel drive way. Because that is what society has generally pictured or defined it as.

I know that is not the case!!! I have lived there!!! It is not a truly accurate picture! The same can be said for ghetto. Can white people be ghetto-fabulous...sure. Can white people act ghetto....sure! But what is acting ghetto? The ghetto is not full of black people only!!! And that is what the term has come to single out!! Nowadays the word ghetto is associated with BLACK people!!! And you trying to say it ain't is ridiculous!!!

I am not about PC-ness! Black is black and white is white! I am not going to call a black person a ******, I'm not going to call a white person a cracker. I will not tell them to go back to the ghetto or to the trailer park!!

Can this die now? I am sorry that some scum stole the tailgate. If he or they had received better home training he or they would have learned to respect other people's property.
    10-17-08 09:45 AM
    it would be interesting to point out that blacks represent 12 percent of the population yet comprise forty percent of the prison population...

And your point? There have been more white serial killers than black ones. Muslims don't like white people. Native Americans were forced to live on reservations.

What is your point?
    10-17-08 09:48 AM
    Of course there are more white serial killers, there are significantly more white people in this country.

10-17-08 09:59 AM
    this is hilarious.
    10-17-08 10:05 AM
    Of course there are more white serial killers, there are significantly more white people in this country.

Thanks for letting us know that the majority of America is white. Didn't know that...now I am enlightened!!!
    10-17-08 10:17 AM
    Thanks for letting us know that the majority of America is white. Didn't know that...now I am enlightened!!!
    Why so serious?
    10-17-08 10:19 AM
    You sir are the one that posted a stupid statistic.
    10-17-08 10:21 AM
    You sir are the one that posted a stupid statistic.
    I did?

This thread has been going for a few days...where did I post statistic?
    10-17-08 10:24 AM
    Why so serious?
    Plain and simple the words used could be offensive to some people.
    10-17-08 10:26 AM
    oh brother, heaven forbid anyone not like one thing you say...
    10-17-08 10:38 AM
100 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD