WTF!!! Some of you are f-ing ridiculous!!! This is exactly why the race issue never gets any better. So f-ing what if it doesn't offend you or you say it all the damn time. It not about being politically correct it is about other people. MAYBE OTHERS ARE OFFENDED!!!

The word ghetto has been associated with black people or the N word for like ever. How about thinking about wtf you sound like before you open your mouth to say some bs like that or type it!

Thick skin yeah tell that to the Jews, or Middle Easteners, how about peole from Poland, lets not forget blondes, or Asians...oops indians (Native Americans) and Hispanics.

Some of you high and mighty "I say what I want no matter what or who I am talking about." are pathetic!

Envied this is not directed at you...we may not see eye to eye on anything other than this but at least you saw it as potentially offensive to someone else.

Out!!!
    10-10-08 11:38 PM
    WTF!!! Some of you are f-ing ridiculous!!! This is exactly why the race issue never gets any better. So f-ing what if it doesn't offend you or you say it all the damn time. It not about being politically correct it is about other people. MAYBE OTHERS ARE OFFENDED!!!

The word ghetto has been associated with black people or the N word for like ever. How about thinking about wtf you sound like before you open your mouth to say some bs like that or type it!

Thick skin yeah tell that to the Jews, or Middle Easteners, how about peole from Poland, lets not forget blondes, or Asians...oops indians (Native Americans) and Hispanics.

Some of you high and mighty "I say what I want no matter what or who I am talking about." are pathetic!

Envied this is not directed at you...we may not see eye to eye on anything other than this but at least you saw it as potentially offensive to someone else.

Out!!!

I agree with your first two paragraphs!!!! If we dont call people on what they say and have an open dialogue about it---without name calling, and anger the race issue will never go away!!!
    10-11-08 09:46 AM
    Actually, "ghetto" originally was the areas where the nazis imprisoned the jews at the beginning of WWII. Associating the word "ghetto" with a person of any color reveals a sense of racism in you, not me. A "ghetto" in today's terms refers to an area of lower demographical value, and crime rates, especially domestic violence and thefts, have been proven to be higher in these areas. My statement inferred that I live in a more prosperous area with a lower crime rate, which makes the burglary of my truck all the more surprising.
    10-11-08 11:17 AM
    don't get me wrong, i have friends from many different races and many different backgrounds. race doesn't even play into my train of thought. i don't care what your skin color is. if i don't like you, it's because of you not your skin color or what language you speak. i'm just amazed at how worked up you got over the word "ghetto." all it implies is a slummy type neighborhood, not race. i personally think that race, as an issue, will never go away until people stop trying to associate little things with it.
    10-11-08 11:23 AM
    I'll take the hit if a jewish person wants to be upset over it. anyone else needs to get over it. I'm assuming none of you live in a "ghetto" since a blackberry would be quite far down your list of priorities if you did.
    Again, modern day language depicts a ghetto as a demographical area which is on average less financially and socially stable than others. Stating a fact is not an insult.
    10-11-08 11:30 AM
    Actually, "ghetto" originally was the areas where the nazis imprisoned the jews at the beginning of WWII. Associating the word "ghetto" with a person of any color reveals a sense of racism in you, not me. A "ghetto" in today's terms refers to an area of lower demographical value, and crime rates, especially domestic violence and thefts, have been proven to be higher in these areas. My statement inferred that I live in a more prosperous area with a lower crime rate, which makes the burglary of my truck all the more surprising.

Taken from Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Ghetto -1: a quarter of a city in which Jews were formerly required to live
    2: a quarter of a city in which members of a minority group live especially because of social, legal, or economic pressure
    3 a: an isolated group <a geriatric ghetto> b: a situation that resembles a ghetto especially in conferring inferior status or limiting opportunity <the pink-collar ghetto>

So when you say ghetto your first guess is going to be Jews...right! How many are taught that in school? Who exactly is the minority?

Should we look up the definition of the n-word too? I grew up with 2 definitions one for an ignorant person of any race or just for blacks only. Lets use the word anyway knowing that someone may take offense to that too!
    How about cracker, honky, white trash, or even racist?!

All I am saying is think about it. That is the only way it is going to get better
    It is all about being color blind...whether it is in our vision, our speech, or our actions.
    10-11-08 01:01 PM
    exactly. Every city has an area that they call "ghetto." There are white people, black people, mexican and asian people there. It has nothing to do with your color. Nowadays, the ghetto is where the "poor folk" (for lack of a better term) live. These are generally run-down areas, and it had been PROVEN, time and again, that in these areas, crime rates are the highest. If you don't believe me then believe the millions of americans who wouldn't dare take a walk through one of those areas at night- it's for good reason. Those people don't live in the "ghetto" because they are being forced, but because they (mostly) simply can't afford to live anywhere else. I'm not insulting them because of their economic situation, I'm just stating a fact- there is more crime in those areas. Go to one of those neighborhoods and ask them if there is crime there- they're gonna say yes- why lie?
    10-11-08 01:13 PM
    Please check back to my other posts. What stuck out at me was this:

While I will agree with you crime is higher in certain areas your comment read: crime does not happen here--only in the ghetto. That is simply NOT the case. Crime is EVERYWHERE!!!!!!!

I do agree with jedi too though!!!
    10-11-08 02:49 PM
    I never wrote that "crime does not happen here- only in the ghetto" i only rationalized that something like this would be more likely in that type of area. You don't worry about finding your car stripped and on blocks when you park at walmart- but hey, it could happen.
    10-11-08 02:58 PM
    I never wrote that "crime does not happen here- only in the ghetto" i only rationalized that something like this would be more likely in that type of area. You don't worry about finding your car stripped and on blocks when you park at walmart- but hey, it could happen.
    your comment was classist----how could this happen here where I live it is not the ghetto=------basically crime does not happen here. very much like your comment regarding the use of blackberries and us not being from the ghetto--==classist as well.

Where you intended it or not that is what your comment meant!!!!
    10-11-08 03:01 PM
    Honestly, I could care less how my comments are or were interpreted. I did not say anything overly racist, sexist, classist, etc.
    I simply stated my opinion and shock that something like this happened in what I consider a good neighborhood. Whether you like it or not, there are different classes of people. You can pretend that we are all equals, but that never has and never will be the case.
    10-11-08 03:35 PM
    Honestly, I could care less how my comments are or were interpreted. I did not say anything overly racist, sexist, classist, etc.
    I simply stated my opinion and shock that something like this happened in what I consider a good neighborhood. Whether you like it or not, there are different classes of people. You can pretend that we are all equals, but that never has and never will be the case.
    You missed the whole point!!!! I don't pretend that at all. What I said was your comment could have been offensive to some and I stand by that!!!! I NEVER said anything about equal or not.

Clearly I have touched a nerve with you. Thinking we are not all equal is dangerous. So since we are not all equal should a person from a better neighboorhood get different treatment: should they not be followed around in stores, do they deserve better health care, do they deserve a better a education are they above the law? It is because of thinking like yours that people will not in my lifetime be treated like equals. THe bottom line is this: take away all the material things - we are all equals and should be treated as such!!!!! Your response to my post has proven your classism. if I have done nothing but get you to perhaps think about what you say then I consider myself a success!!!!

IF YOU ARE NOT A PART OF THE SOLUTION THEN YOU ARE PART OF THE PROBLEM!!!!!
    Last edited by envied; 10-11-08 at 04:07 PM.
    10-11-08 04:00 PM
    I don't see a problem. There is an obvious difference in the people I associate myself with, work with, and go to school with and the people who would do something like this. There are "good" people, and there are also "bad" people. As far as I know, my neighbors are "good" people who wouldn't steal from one another.
    The material things aren't important, it's the moral values that some of us have, which others obviously lack. You can call me a classist or Elitist all you want but I do believe I am better than some others, and there is nothing wrong with that.
    10-11-08 04:30 PM

"Overly racist" Is there really degrees of racism now?

There are different classes of people....but lets not base it on skin color or living location. There are good people who live in lower income places.
    10-11-08 04:32 PM
    If anyone was offended by anything I said they need to get over themselves. I didn't insult anyone, I just stated that I was surprised at the theft because I DON'T LIVE IN THE FREAKING GHETTO where things like that are EXPECTED!
    10-11-08 04:36 PM
    "Overly racist" Is there really degrees of racism now?

There are different classes of people....but lets not base it on skin color or living location. There are good people who live in lower income places.
    Yes, that is true. but that doesn't mean that they are a majority. Crime is higher in those areas- always has been.
    10-11-08 04:38 PM
    I don't see a problem. There is an obvious difference in the people I associate myself with, work with, and go to school with and the people who would do something like this. There are "good" people, and there are also "bad" people. As far as I know, my neighbors are "good" people who wouldn't steal from one another.
    The material things aren't important, it's the moral values that some of us have, which others obviously lack. You can call me a classist or Elitist all you want but I do believe I am better than some others, and there is nothing wrong with that.
    Better because of morales or because of color and where you live?
    10-11-08 05:56 PM
    Yes, that is true. but that doesn't mean that they are a majority. Crime is higher in those areas- always has been.
    Racism is racsim there aren't any degrees or a measurement. Either you are or you are not.
    10-11-08 05:59 PM
    better because I would not vandalize somebody's vehicle.
    10-11-08 06:06 PM
    Racism is racsim there aren't any degrees or a measurement. Either you are or you are not.
    How does racism come into play? I never mentioned any skin color. You guys are the ones assuming that I would associate the "ghetto" with a certain nationality- I never came near that. I know that there are all kinds of people in those areas, of all different colors.
    10-11-08 06:11 PM
    If anyone was offended by anything I said they need to get over themselves. I didn't insult anyone, I just stated that I was surprised at the theft because I DON'T LIVE IN THE FREAKING GHETTO where things like that are EXPECTED!
    Why are crimes expected to happen in the "ghetto?" Crime is crime and can happen anywhere. Alot of times the crime is about convience and opportunity, not location or part of the city.

Yes, chances are greater in lower income area than up scale due to possible economic status. But to say that it is expected in the ghetto is very close to racial profiling, if not dead on.
    10-11-08 06:12 PM
    How does racism come into play? I never mentioned any skin color. You guys are the ones assuming that I would associate the "ghetto" with a certain nationality- I never came near that. I know that there are all kinds of people in those areas, of all different colors.
    What we said was that could be offensive to some people. You decided to give an abridged definition of ghetto. Sure it may have started out as being associated with Jews....but that is not the case now. When the word ghetto is used in today's society it is usually in reference to black people.

Oh and racism isn't strictly a color thing. Just thought I'd let you know.
    10-11-08 06:21 PM
    How is it racial profiling? I never said that there was any certain race that lived in the ghetto! There are black, white, asian, etc there! Why do you assume that "ghetto" means black or mexican or whatever?
    Crime is expected in those areas because it is so common, duh. If the crime rate is 3 times higher in that area than in the surrounding areas, then I'd expect a crime to happen there.
    10-11-08 06:21 PM
    What we said was that could be offensive to some people. You decided to give an abridged definition of ghetto. Sure it may have started out as being associated with Jews....but that is not the case now. When the word ghetto is used in today's society it is usually in reference to black people.
    If that's what you believe, then you are the racist. I don't automatically associate blacks or hispanics with being "ghetto". Ghetto to me means the part of town that is poor and rundown- it often includes old delapidated houses, trashy apartments, trailer parks, and government housing- although none of these are exclusive to "ghetto"
    10-11-08 06:24 PM
    You people need to open your eyes and stop trying so hard to be pc.
    It's just downright ridiculous that you automatically associate the word ghetto with blacks, or any other skin color for that matter.
    10-11-08 06:29 PM
100 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD