Ok so we have a yorky/terrier he is 1yr old about 10lbs all in all normal. He basically wants treats all day or what ever you have on your plate! Anyone know how to break this had habit. I have tried leaving dog food down for a day or 2 and he won't eat it, then I feel bad and give em what I've cooked. I don't know what to do to make him eat his kind of food.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-01-09 08:19 PM
    When he gets hungry enough he'll eat. Just be sure you see him drink. Put him in another room at dinner time, or if you don't wanna just be firm "no". He'll get it.

04-01-09 08:29 PM
    Just leave the food along with plenty of water. Dog will eat eventually. And dont give table food anymore its bad for dogs espec small ones. Dont feel bad dog is just tryin to wait you out

04-01-09 08:31 PM
    Yeah, the posts above list it well. Leave the dog in a SEPARATE room when you're preparing and eating dinner. That part of your day should have NOTHING to do with the dog (until it knows it's place).

Also make sure you're firm in disciplining the dog when it 'begs' for your food, it has to be shown that it is not allowed your food.

My last advice - as my dog went on an eating boycott - is to take a dog treat, get the dog all excited for it, and put it among the regular dog food. It'll scope out the treat first, but sometimes it'll then just continue munching.
    04-01-09 08:48 PM
    It was a while before I found out that you can do you pet more harm than good by feedig them table food.

I think the logic is- if you wont eat dog/cat food, then don't give your pet your food. My dogs treat every Friday would be shrimps and gravy. If she had her way, she'd eat like that everyday.

She has also gone through that not eating thing; had I not been givng her table food, she would have been forced to eat her own. I used to allow her make me feel guilty but I eventually got over that.

When they are hungry they WILL eat. If after 2 days your dog is still not eating what you put down for him, it could be that he just doesn't like that particular dog food.

I went through some trials before I finally found what my dog absolutely loves and it's cheaper than shrimp with gravy.
    04-02-09 03:02 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD