I know it's off topic that's why I posted it here. I've been having a problem with my truck for over two years and no mechanic seems to know how to fix it. It's a 1984 dodge ram with a carbureted 318. If someone here has any knowledge on old Chrysler engines please reply to this thread, and I can further explain the issue in a private message or email or text. I've exhausted my resources on fixing this problem trust me, that's why I'm posting here cause im trying anything I can

Posted via CB10
    onlybuggin likes this.
    05-03-16 05:50 PM
    I can try help as best as possible and also asking mechanic friends. What's the issue you're facing ?

Posted via CB10
    05-03-16 05:54 PM
    I'm no mechanic but I often make carb adjustments on my air-cooled vw dune buggy. I'll certainly try to help.

Posted via CB10
    05-03-16 06:11 PM
    Thanks for the reply. The engine will idle fine on its own, but suddenly the idle will drop to a stall, requiring me to keep my foot on the gas pedal to stop it from stalling. There is absolutely no pattern to when this happens. It can run fine for 4 days, then the next minute it will stall. Run fine for 5 minutes, then go back to a stall for a full day. Basically, there is no time frame or pattern that I can relate to this happening. Temperature, humidity, engine temp, etc all have no effect on this problem happening. I finally bit the bullet and bought a brand new carburetor thinking it would solve it, but it STILL happens. I've replaced all electrical components including the distributor and distributor cap, ignition coil, voltage regulator etc. So if it's not the carburetor, and it's not electrical related, then what is it???? Even the mechanic who installed the carb, who races carbureted dodge stock cars on weekends can't solve the problem. Is it possible it is related to my kickdown linkage? It happens in any gear and also neutral and park. So it's not transmission related. But could it be related to the kickdown linkage? Since it's attached to the throttle linkage? None of the springs seem to be binding or anything... I'm out of ideas.

Posted via CB10
    05-03-16 06:35 PM
    I had a similar experience with a gas cap that wasn't venting correctly. Wouldn't let the engine get gas.
    05-03-16 06:46 PM
    I had a similar experience with a gas cap that wasn't venting correctly. Wouldn't let the engine get gas.
    I just read up on symptoms of a gas cap that doesn't vent properly. They do sound similar to my problems... when you had that problem, would you hear a pressure release when you unscrewed the gas cap?

Edit: I am going to wait until the problem occurs again then take the gas cap off and see if there is a change in the problem. If there is, you solved it for me. If not, I will continue hunting for a solution. Thanks again for the reply

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Yoox_II; 05-03-16 at 08:26 PM.
    05-03-16 08:11 PM
    Have you checked the pistons compression? If it is off check the pistons ring also

Posted via CB10
    05-03-16 09:31 PM
    Electronic or mechanical fuel pump

Posted via CB10
    05-03-16 09:54 PM
    Any chance someone put something into the gas tank. http://gwally.com/pranks/archives/000699.php

Posted via CB10
    05-03-16 09:57 PM
    Yes. I did recall a release of pressure back then when I took off the gas cap. I also saw a lawn tractor not start at all until you took off the gas cap. So in 40 years I seen this happen twice! Hope that's what it is for you.
    05-04-16 02:08 AM
    It's a mechanical fuel pump. Unfortunately, leaving the gas cap off did not solve the problem.

Posted via CB10
    05-04-16 10:43 AM
    How is the pcv valve

Posted via CB10
    05-04-16 11:12 AM
    Could be something partially clogging the pickup screen in the gas tank. How about the fuel filter, also.
    05-04-16 06:47 PM
    I had a similar sounding issue, ended up being a vacuum leak, they was an adapter between the carb and engine and the gasket had worn through, replaced it an bam

Posted via CB10
    05-09-16 10:18 PM
    99% of carburetor problems are electrical -- (this is more likely an ignition problem than a carburetion problem). Did it ever get sorted out?

Posted via CB10
    07-08-16 10:12 PM
    I agree with ezrunner. it's likely an engine vacuum issue. They can be intermittent and a challenge to find. Carefully spray ether around the carb base plate. The engine will stutter if it sucks in the ether. Cheap and easy diagnostic. Also change the fuel filter. You can add an inline filter closer to the engine, especially if you have one of those goofy tank filters. Get a clear filter. You can see what gunk in the fuel.

From my Z30!
    07-09-16 12:52 AM
    I know I'm late to the game, but 3xberry is on the right track, it does sound like a intermitant vacuum leak. If it's happening when you are putting on the brakes, then the major culprit would be the brake booster. Haven't worked on a carb equipped vehicle in a while.
    07-09-16 06:56 AM