Does anyone know first hand if BlackBerry hires people with visible tattoos? I have a tattoo on my neck and both forearms (all non-offensive) and I was wondering if this is something that is a disqualification of employment at BlackBerry. Please only respond if you have a factual or somewhat factual answer, not just your opinion on people with tattoos. Thank you!
    08-01-14 03:50 PM
    No company in Canada can refuse to hire you based on tattoos or body piercing. That is called discrimination.

They'll just use another reason.

Tattoos are not very professional in the business world.

Posted via CB10
    velkod, tryfe and pttptppt like this.
    08-01-14 04:37 PM
    See that bugs me. How is it discriminating if you choose to do something to yourself. It's not religious or born with it. You should be able to say no we don't want you here, you look unprofessional. Simple.

People so sensitive these days. You make a dumb choice like a tattoo on your neck you should eat the consequences. Btw I have tsttoo's. All hidden
    08-01-14 04:41 PM

Tattoos are not very professional in the business world.

Posted via CB10
    Apparently you didn't read the part about leaving out ones own opinion on tattoos.
    08-01-14 04:42 PM
    There were people there with visible tattoos when I was there.
    08-01-14 04:42 PM
    It's about what you know and what you are bringing to BlackBerry that they are concerned about. Not what you look like. You have nothing to worry about if you are skilled for the position you are applying for. What position are you going for?

Posted via CB10
    BeeRanDyn likes this.
    08-01-14 05:02 PM
    See that bugs me. How is it discriminating if you choose to do something to yourself. It's not religious or born with it. You should be able to say no we don't want you here, you look unprofessional. Simple.

People so sensitive these days. You make a dumb choice like a tattoo on your neck you should eat the consequences. Btw I have tsttoo's. All hidden
    Yet another person who didn't catch the part about refraining from stating ones own opinion on tattoos in the workplace. But since you've decided to break the rules, I will input my own opinion in regards to yours.

If you believe religion is something you are born with and not a choice, then you're opinion doesn't really matter because you're a fool anyways. Religion is a choice. Discrimination isn't about the other persons choice, it's about an unfair decision based purely on irrelevant things such as appearance or ethnic background (sometimes one in the same thing). The illusion of professional appearance in the workplace is as shallow and immorally wrong as dating a women over another because she has a bigger **** than the other. Yes, one can make this choice without legal repercussion but when it comes to the workplace, the general idea with any company should be to hire the person best qualified for the job based upon ones skills and knowledge and how it pertains to the job at hand. So should a person whose face is horribly disfigured due to an accident caused solely by that persons decision be declined a job because they made the choice to partake in an activity that had horrible consequences? No! You see, as long as the choice one makes is not morally wrong, or does not physically or emotionally impact another, there should be no room for others to tell that person what they can and cannot do based upon what they look like, where they come from or what markings are on their skin: of course unless those markings break the aforementioned rules. In reality, there is no way around discrimination. Mankind will always discriminate, it just depends on what the majority of society deems as an appropriate and tolerant way to judge another being.
    MB64 likes this.
    08-01-14 05:17 PM
    It's about what you know and what you are bringing to BlackBerry that they are concerned about. Not what you look like. You have nothing to worry about if you are skilled for the position you are applying for. What position are you going for?

Posted via CB10
    Thanks for the mature reply.

I am currently only a college student so I am not yet applying for any positions at BlackBerry. My question is more of a proactive one to help gauge the culture at certain companies that I may be interested in working for in the future.
    MB64 likes this.
    08-01-14 05:20 PM
    I have worked for a few companies and have seen people with tattoos and piercings. When I worked at BlackBerry one of our directors had tattoos as well.

From what I have seen tech companies are more laid back with these things.

Posted via CB10
    08-01-14 05:27 PM
    About tattoos, a little of topic but this is funny.. Just enter first and last name (No need for entering email adress)
    http://www.fulldhamaal.com/wp-conten...atoo_flash.swf
    Attached Thumbnails Does BlackBerry hire people with visible tattoos?-screen-shot-2014-08-02-00.37.55.png  
    Last edited by ZedMacahan; 08-01-14 at 06:18 PM.
    08-01-14 05:27 PM
    LOL.. even if they don't tell you it's because of your tattoos, a prospective employer is within their right to deny employment based on their 'overall impression' of you, your personality, attitude, and whether you would fit well within their workforce (same as if you showed up with ripped jeans when the work environment will require business formal attire).

That being said, I doubt a place like BlackBerry would use that as their main criterion unless you are applying for a business rep/business development, legal team, PR position.

Posted via CB10
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    08-01-14 05:46 PM
    Tattoos are fairly common in general these days, and I'd say that they're maybe even moreso in tech.

If you're looking at a purely technical career track, I doubt strongly that tattoos or piercings would be held against you unless they are overtly offensive. If you were looking at something where you'd be expected to represent the company to outsiders (be they vendors, customers, or the public), hiring managers may scrutinize a little more closely...
    BeeRanDyn likes this.
    08-01-14 06:14 PM
    I think it very much on what department you work for. Usually corporate officers are much more conservative especially if your job is to socialize with clients. Your employer might have issue with visible tattoos that might turn off potential clients. However, if your work is behind the scene say engineering department or hard and software development, I don't think it matters. That's just a general standard. The bottom line is what you can offer to the company and your attitude during the interview process.

Posted via CB10
    BeeRanDyn likes this.
    08-01-14 07:40 PM
    Apparently you didn't read the part about leaving out ones own opinion on tattoos.
    Just because you didn't want an opinion, doesn't mean you won't get any.

BB Proud
    08-01-14 07:50 PM
    It is not about 'personal' opinions on tattoos.. if you have an overtly big and nonsensical one you will just look out on place in a professional setting. Just like if you wear a suit and tie to work in Macdonald.

In Asia tattoos is more frowned upon because of their associations with gangs. Although I'm pretty sure if you get a Winnie the Pooh on your biceps no one will ever think you are some bad *** punk.

Posted via CB10
    08-01-14 08:18 PM
    It's actually pretty logical. Every culture in the world has interpretations of certain stuff, so every tattoo visible on you increases the chance that clients will be turned off by you.

If you're applying for positions that involve dealing with clients, tattoos can be a pretty big turn off, unless maybe if it's a tattoo of your family members' name, or something else docile that simply can't normally be described as hostile in most cultures

If you're going for the backstage positions such as programmers, it'd be much more laid back, unless your boss is just that old school

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.3247
    08-01-14 08:28 PM
    Just because you didn't want an opinion, doesn't mean you won't get any.

BB Proud
    So true my friend.
    08-02-14 01:16 AM

In Asia tattoos is more frowned upon because of their associations with gangs. Although I'm pretty sure if you get a Winnie the Pooh on your biceps no one will ever think you are some bad *** punk.

Posted via CB10
    Ha thanks for the laugh.
    08-02-14 01:17 AM
    It's actually pretty logical. Every culture in the world has interpretations of certain stuff, so every tattoo visible on you increases the chance that clients will be turned off by you.

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.3247
    You actually make a good point here because you're right in that BlackBerry deals with an extremely diverse group of people throughout the entire world, not just within a single country or state. Kudos for broadening my cultural considerations when asking this particular question.
    08-02-14 01:22 AM