I am getting a Kindle for my birthday next week and have been building up a list of books I may want to read soon.

I get a list of new Kindle releases periodically (no pun intended) from Amazon. On the most recent list was Peters' most recent Peabody book, A River in the Sky. It sounded very intriguing to me. Then I realized that Ms. Peters has been penning the Amelia Peabody series since 1975.

Can I read the newest book and enjoy it, or should I start "from the beginning" and read the series in order of being published even though the characters may not have been fully fleshed out at the beginning (Crocodile on the Sandbank).

My gut tells me to start at the beginning, especially given that the Kindle price for those earliest book is just $1.99.

I did note that it looks like book 5, The Deeds of the Disturber is not in Kindle form (yet). I don't think that's a big deal.

Thanks ahead of time for your thoughts.
    Last edited by jlb21; 05-07-10 at 08:44 AM.
    05-06-10 08:53 AM
    Yeah, I like reading a book starting at the beginning if I can. I've picked books up at a midpoint and actually stopped to go find the rest of the series so that I can see the characters develop. The only series I truly started from the first book to last in order was John D. MacDonald's Travis McGee series, still my favorites after almost 30 years.

I haven't read the Peabody series, but if they're any good, I may.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-06-10 09:51 PM
    Are these like Judy Blume books? If so, where do I sign up?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-06-10 10:07 PM
    I don't think these are as "young skewed" as Judy Blume. I think they are more along the lines of an Indiana Jones-esque series of books/stories with a female lead who goes on these adventures with her husband.

Here's Amazon info on the newest book:

Set in 1910, the delightful 19th Amelia Peabody novel from bestseller Peters (after Tomb of the Golden Bird) takes Amelia and her husband, Emerson, to Palestine, where an English adventurer, George Morley, is planning to excavate Jerusalem's Temple Mount in search of the Ark of the Covenant. Gen. David Spencer, the director of Military Operations in London, suspects Morley, an amateur archeologist at best, of spying for the Germans, whose influence has been growing in the Middle East. Spencer wants Egyptologists Amelia and Emerson to stop Morley from undertaking a project sure to offend the three religious groups that consider the temple site holy. Meanwhile, son Ramses embarks on a treacherous journey to convey to his parents important information learned from two travelers he meets while on a dig in Samaria. Once again, MWA Grandmaster Peters uses vivid settings, sharp characterizations, and deft dialogue to transport the reader to another time and place.
    For the list of books:

The Amelia Peabody Series by Elizabeth Peters
    05-07-10 08:49 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD