In the last two years, I've gone through no less than seven hard drives, both laptop and desktop. One after another, they are nothing but crap. All different brands, etc. Does anyone make a reliable hard drive? From my perspective, this entire industry has gone to crap.
    07-02-08 09:05 PM
    I have had a good experience with Western Digital......

EDIT: And Seagate, I think its called, is a good one too.
    07-02-08 09:15 PM
    I have used western digital for the last 7 years. Never had a problem. I use a 120gb external portable that runs off usb on my notebook. And I use a 250gb external.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-02-08 09:24 PM
    Wow you have had some bad luck. About 3% of new hard drives fail. I personally only use about an 80gb hard drive for my OS. Then i have 2 other hard drives for back up. One external and one internal. I use western digital and seagate. I also use a program called titan backup to backup all my files to the back up drives. Hope this helps. Good luck

07-02-08 10:03 PM
    seagate and western digital are your friends
    07-04-08 09:27 AM
    I've gone with seagate, western digital, and maxtor. I've had 2 maxtor drives last me more than 8 years.
    07-04-08 10:24 AM
    I have had a western digital for my desktop for well over a year, and I have not had a problem with it . Good luck finding one that works well.

07-04-08 10:43 AM
    yeah I heard Western Digital or Lacie are good. I am going to buy one is the next week or two for my MBP since I only have 20 Gigs left
    07-04-08 12:31 PM
    I use hard drives everyday in the studio. I can say that 99% of the drives we own or use are Seagates. Go into a recording studio anywhere in the world and you will be hard pressed to find a Western Digital drive.

I take that back. Actually, Lacie sometimes puts WD drives into their housings. They don't control what drives go into their housings. The Lacie Porsche drives are horrible. Stay away from them. Western Digital drives are only a little bit better than those. I would never tell anybody to save studio recordings on a WD drive by choice.

When I buy external hard drives, I usually go with a company that uses Seagate drives. If I build my own, it's Seagate or nothing.

Last edited by daryllh; 07-04-08 at 06:09 PM.
    07-04-08 05:51 PM
    I have a few terabytes of western digital hard drives and not one has failed. I find them to be very reliable.
    What type of environment are you using it? i.e. is your computer running too hot? laptop getting bumped and moved around while running etc?

Regardless, you always need a good backup plan because those babies can fail any day/time. (as you're well aware)
    07-04-08 06:59 PM
    i gotta say people's individual experience should be taken lightly. i mean yeah one person might've had great experience with a hard drive but overall, the company has tons of customers with issues. u gotta look at the overall performance and warranty.

most people say to stay away from maxtor. western digital is always good. is usually use that myself. seagate is also excellent. in the future i am gonna be using seagate more because they usually offer a LONG warranty, much more than other manufacturers. so even though western digital has good name, it still may fail. if a seagate fails, that long warranty should help.

also keep in mind there are different models of hard drives within each brand. a server edition drive will have much better performance if ur willing to pay the extra. so think about that and do research on em before u buy.

ohh yeah and like the last dude said..... U NEED A BACKUP PLAN. whether it be an external drive, or offsite backup.....ghosting ur drive once a month or so or having a resident program running that's always backing up files. backup IS VERY IMPORTANT
    Last edited by avmsam; 07-04-08 at 08:21 PM.
    07-04-08 08:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD