I saw something on CNN about the Virginia govenor declaring April Confederate History month. Personally i think its wrong because of what the confederacy stood for. How do you guys feel about the topic.
    04-08-10 03:21 PM
    It's Virginia.

For whatever reason many people in the South are proud of losing the Civil War.

But many in the South are loons anyway. I've heard that some older people put
    on their ancestors Civil War gear and go out into the backyard and pretend to be
    shooting Yankees while they scream Jefferson Davis' name.
    04-08-10 03:34 PM
    hahaha i wouldnt' doubt the whole dressing up ordeal lol< i just don't think its right to celebrate people who succeeded from the union. Although the confederacy is a MAJOR!!!! part of american history, and should be taught in all school celebrating what they did just seems a little off to me. Thats like saying although Hitler killed the Jews lets celebrate his perseverence to achieve his goals lol like come on are you serious.
    04-08-10 03:38 PM
    hahaha i wouldnt' doubt the whole dressing up ordeal lol< i just don't think its right to celebrate people who succeeded from the union. Although the confederacy is a MAJOR!!!! part of american history, and should be taught in all school celebrating what they did just seems a little off to me. Thats like saying although Hitler killed the Jews lets celebrate his perseverence to achieve his goals lol like come on are you serious.
    Well in all honesty this country is pretty hypocritical when it comes to things
    like the Holocaust. The U.S. founded itself by white people killing 300 million
    Native Americans. Far more than what Hitler did. Albeit, over a span of many
    years, but still didn't make it better.
    04-08-10 03:44 PM
    Well in all honesty this country is pretty hypocritical when it comes to things
    like the Holocaust. The U.S. founded itself by white people killing 300 million
    Native Americans. Far more than what Hitler did. Albeit, over a span of many
    years, but still didn't make it better.
    true, and im not attacking white people in posting this, please don't think that anyone else who reads this. I'm just approaching the topic of enslaving any human being no matter color is wrong in my opinion. Celebrating people who fought for the right to continue this behavior is wrong in my eyes.
    04-08-10 03:47 PM
    I guess a Southerner's input would be appropriate here.

I'm not opposed to the idea of celebrating the confederacy because it is part of our history (whether we like it or not). I'm not a die-hard redneck and I don't have a chip on my shoulder because the south lost the war, I honestly could care less. But I'm still (somewhat) proud to be from the south because I grew up here. Same would go for anyone proud to be raised in the north or on either coast- it's just sort of instilled in me.

The whole reason people are so sensitive about the issue and the south in general is slavery. The Governor neglected to mention slavery when he proposed the idea of confederate history month and people got pissed because that's a very big reason the civil war even happened. But who can blame him? Racial tension in the south is always at the boiling point. I never bring up slavery or racism if I can help it, especially in front of a large group of people. IMO he was trying not to offend anyone when bringing up the idea so he left out a very important part... very stupid thing to do obviously but he's apologized for it now and ammended his statements. He's trying to be proud of his heritage but he's scared to do so because his heritage is outright offensive to some people. Still doesn't mean we should ignore it.

Like I said, I honestly don't care to celebrate the confederacy but I'm still proud to be a southerner. However it has nothing to do with the history here. It's a beautiful place (if you know where to look) and most of the people here are very nice and neighborly. You're gonna have dipsh!ts no matter where you live, you gotta make the best of it.
    04-08-10 04:21 PM
    I was always taught that the main points of the civil war were economics and sovereignty for the south. Slavery was brought in as a political move to garner support for the north.

They aren't celebrating losing a war, they are celebrating their history.

I won't even comment on comparing the civil war to the holocaust, that's just ridiculous.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-08-10 04:35 PM
    I guess a Southerner's input would be appropriate here.

I'm not opposed to the idea of celebrating the confederacy because it is part of our history (whether we like it or not). I'm not a die-hard redneck and I don't have a chip on my shoulder because the south lost the war, I honestly could care less. But I'm still (somewhat) proud to be from the south because I grew up here. Same would go for anyone proud to be raised in the north or on either coast- it's just sort of instilled in me.

The whole reason people are so sensitive about the issue and the south in general is slavery. The Governor neglected to mention slavery when he proposed the idea of confederate history month and people got pissed because that's a very big reason the civil war even happened. But who can blame him? Racial tension in the south is always at the boiling point. I never bring up slavery or racism if I can help it, especially in front of a large group of people. IMO he was trying not to offend anyone when bringing up the idea so he left out a very important part... very stupid thing to do obviously but he's apologized for it now and ammended his statements. He's trying to be proud of his heritage but he's scared to do so because his heritage is outright offensive to some people. Still doesn't mean we should ignore it.

Like I said, I honestly don't care to celebrate the confederacy but I'm still proud to be a southerner. However it has nothing to do with the history here. It's a beautiful place (if you know where to look) and most of the people here are very nice and neighborly. You're gonna have dipsh!ts no matter where you live, you gotta make the best of it.
    See I'm from the south too, and my only gripe with the whole thing is that when you are a governor, i think you have to be aware of the people you are serving. Like you said he is celebrating his heritage but his heritage is surely not a shining star in american history seeing as it deals with treason against the United States. I think he should have been more culturally sensitive before declaring something like this for a whole state as diverse as his is. It isn't like its christopher columbus day or something what he is celebrating has deep roots in it that are clearly not all good by any means.

please dont take what im saying as attacking you, im agreeing with you honestly. I don't want anyway to feel like im aiming anything at them, especially on a topic like this
    Last edited by CrackberryBrandon; 04-08-10 at 04:45 PM.
    04-08-10 04:42 PM
    I was always taught that the main points of the civil war were economics and sovereignty for the south. Slavery was brought in as a political move to garner support for the north.

They aren't celebrating losing a war, they are celebrating their history.

I won't even comment on comparing the civil war to the holocaust, that's just ridiculous.

no one compared the civil war to the holocaust it was the Slaughtering of 300 million native americans to the holocaust, which is a justifiable comparison when looking at statistics.
    04-08-10 04:43 PM
    Regardless of why slavery is part of civil war heritage, it is what it is.

See I'm from the south too, and my only gripe with the whole thing is that when you are a governor, i think you have to be aware of the people you are serving. Like you said he is celebrating his heritage but his heritage is definetly not a shining star in american history. I think he should have been more culturally sensitive before declaring something like this for a whole state. It isn't like its christopher columbus day or something what he is celebrating has deep roots in it that are clearly not all good by any means.
    I agree that he should think more about the peole but like I said, I think he was trying to be as sensitive as possible and in doing so, offended a lot of people more than he would have if he just mentioned slavery in the first place.

Don't know that for a fact, maybe he's just inconsiderate.
    04-08-10 04:53 PM
    Regardless of why slavery is part of civil war heritage, it is what it is.

I agree that he should think more about the peole but like I said, I think he was trying to be as sensitive as possible and in doing so, offended a lot of people more than he would have if he just mentioned slavery in the first place.

Don't know that for a fact, maybe he's just inconsiderate.
    agreed, i think the fact he sidestepped slavery also fueled a lot of emotions for people. But even if he had included slavery it still would have turned out bad for him. Maybe a different name would have been better or naming it civil war month or something. honoring the side that committed treason is just all backwards.
    04-08-10 04:57 PM
    agreed, i think the fact he sidestepped slavery also fueled a lot of emotions for people. But even if he had included slavery it still would have turned out bad for him. Maybe a different name would have been better or naming it civil war month or something. honoring the side that committed treason is just all backwards.
    Yeah it's probably not a great idea honoring just the confederacy instead of the memory of the civil war completely. That is a bit insesnsitive.
    04-08-10 05:01 PM
    ..... celebrating what they did just seems a little off to me. Thats like saying although Hitler killed the Jews lets celebrate his perseverence to achieve his goals....
    Hitler had an idea bringing forth the Autobahn.... in light of that arguement, it's not all bad
    04-08-10 05:35 PM
    Northern landowners had slaves too, so it wasn't entirely a southern issue. It's upsetting to me when things aren't historically accurate and I'm not even American.

04-08-10 05:40 PM
    Northern landowners had slaves too, so it wasn't entirely a southern issue. It's upsetting to me when things aren't historically accurate and I'm not even American.

Northern landowners did indeed have slaves.

But the South's racism was blatant and still is to a degree to this day.

History is however it is written in a book and however we understand and
    perceive it to be.
    04-08-10 05:48 PM
    History is written by the winners, who happened to be the North and I'm sure didn't try their hardest to be particularly flattering to the South...

04-08-10 08:19 PM
    I agree that the civil war was not fought over slavery, but economics. However, the use of slavery made the south more economical prosperous. Thus, to celebrate seceding on the basis of economic reasoning has a direct relationship with slavery.
    04-08-10 09:57 PM
    i only read the first couple posts...as i started to get irritated after that. no, there shouldnt be a problem with a confederate month..... and for anyone stating that the confederacy stood for slavery is a moron, and needs a history lesson. sure, there was slavery, and no i dont condone it, and its not what the south stood for.

go ahead and bash me, it dont matter, chances are i wont be coming back to this thread anyway,
    04-12-10 01:52 PM
    i only read the first couple posts...as i started to get irritated after that. no, there shouldnt be a problem with a confederate month..... and for anyone stating that the confederacy stood for slavery is a moron, and needs a history lesson. sure, there was slavery, and no i dont condone it, and its not what the south stood for.

go ahead and bash me, it dont matter, chances are i wont be coming back to this thread anyway,
    If the Confederacy didn't stand for slavery, then why did they openly allow it?
    Must mean they stood for it.
    04-12-10 02:13 PM
    Sounds like an attempt to feel better at being a sore loser.

I to this day, am surprised when I see a confederate flag.

To me, regardless of what it stands for, symbolizes bigotry, and ignorance.

Being proud of your southern heritage, automatically makes you proud to be an American.

So fly your American flag in its place, and move on.
    04-12-10 02:25 PM
    Yes I think it's somewhat disrespectful. I'm actually not a fan of ANY of the months, nothing should get a month. Days yes, but nothing should get a month.
    04-12-10 02:29 PM
    To me, the Confederate battle flag symbolizes people who had the guts to stand up for what they believed in, which was that the system was unfair because they didn't have the votes to swing political balance their way and they didn't like that, so they tried to secede.

Slavery wasn't the main issue, and remember, may in the North still condoned slavery also, or actively participated. Also remember that Lincoln didn't want to free the slaves, but wanted to do what he could to try holding the Unon together as I recall.

04-13-10 03:06 AM
    To me, the Confederate battle flag symbolizes people who had the guts to stand up for what they believed in, which was that the system was unfair because they didn't have the votes to swing political balance their way and they didn't like that, so they tried to secede.

Slavery wasn't the main issue, and remember, may in the North still condoned slavery also, or actively participated. Also remember that Lincoln didn't want to free the slaves, but wanted to do what he could to try holding the Unon together as I recall.

Correct on many points. However, I disagree with the guts part. This wasn't standing up for what they believed in, this acting as spoiled brats, because they couldn't get their way. First with nullification, then through secession. The more populous north, thus more representative in terms of congressional seats and electoral college votes wanted to move the nation in one direction, and southern states did not like it. One component was the movement to abolish slavery. Instead of trying to influence the direction of the country they said screw you guys, we'll make our own country.

To me, celebrating the confederacy means celebrating a movement that was not interested in living with the system that was agreed upon in 1776 and 1787 and amended over time. One territory was forced to join the union, and could theoretically formed their own nation. The advantages of joining the union far out weighed being independent.
    04-13-10 07:05 AM
    Yes I think it's somewhat disrespectful. I'm actually not a fan of ANY of the months, nothing should get a month. Days yes, but nothing should get a month.
    I don't believe anything deserves a month either.

I am not racist in any way but I don't feel there should be a "Black History Month". Nor do I feel there should be a Confederate month. It singles groups of people out.

Everyone wants equality, the same rights, and to be treated the same as everyone else but yet we all continue to separate ourselves with these types of "holidays" and what not.
    04-13-10 09:12 AM
    This maybe OT, but why does it always feel like 11/12 months out of the year is Black History Month?

Are there different flavors of Black History that are celebrated on different months?

This isn't meant as a mean post. I'm openly admitting my ignorance on the issue.

Maybe someone can clarify it for me.
    04-13-10 09:14 AM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD