We had an experience with my brother that still makes me catch my breath occasionally.

He was quite a bit younger, albeit old enough to know better, and my parents were about to get on a ferry to the Netherlands, luckily as foot passengers. I was at work and he'd invited some 'friends' round (term used as loosely as possible). Long story short, these guys basically raided my dad's drinks cabinet and my brother consumed so much alcohol it nearly killed him.

These other 2 tried to take my car, he said no and they continued to mix him drinks. They then ripped his jeans pocket off to get the keys and he passed out on the hall floor. They then proceeded to drive my car around before writing it off and crashing into some guy's Audi A8. My neighbours noticed our front door was open and called an ambulance. They tried to rouse my brother and made him sick but he wouldn't come round.

My parents got to the hospital where my brother had been lying on one arm for so long it had gone completely purple. Nothing would rouse him, not even the old sternum trick. My dad knew one of the nurses and begged her to put my brother on a drip otherwise he feared he'd die. They did and he came around and luckily has had no lasting effects. I have no idea how cos he looked a proper mess for the next month.

Occasionally it just hits me that we nearly lost him and I get the urge to hug him.

But I do sometimes get the feeling of impending doom, I sometimes really don't want to go to sleep at night and have no idea why.

Kanga I'm so glad you got the care you needed, I had pneumonia as a child and it scared the life out of my parents!
    02-28-09 11:49 AM
    I guarantee you a straight up board question for 3rd year medical students is... what is associated with someone with tachycardia, shortness of breath and a sense of impending doom...

Pulmonary Embolism.

They say to ALWAYS get nervous if your patient says they feel like they are going to die, even the psych patients (opioid withdrawals are the only exception...) people know what feels very very wrong.

However, the sense of impending doom when there is nothing really wrong is called anxiety.. totally different story.
    02-28-09 12:51 PM
    Geez! I really hope you are wrong about that. We would miss you here!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Well if I don't post on CB for a long stretch you'll know why lol

03-01-09 01:22 AM
    Wow guys its nice to see people opening up. I dream a lot and they usually seem to come true. Like I dream of myself being in situations at certain places and when I'm there I can tell you the next thing that is going to happen in detail. How or why I don't know but its erie. I have had dreams of people I haven't talked to in years then for one reason or another they find a way to contact me.

All of the previous posts are touching and I know from experience they will change the way you look at life and change priorities real fast.

03-01-09 08:18 PM
    So....got to update. Um, not happily either......
    So, I posted one of the first responses that said I've felt often that I'm going to die, but nothing happened.

Well, today I was told I have thyroid cancer.
    While usually it can be solved by removing the thyroid, there's the rare case of part of the malignant nodule breaking off in the blood stream and spreading to other parts of the body.
    While this probably won't happen, and I really hope it doesn't happen (I'm 24, getting married next year, planning on a baby...my life's just really begun)........I couldn't help but think of this thread just now.

What's crazy is that every time I felt like I knew I was going to die, I'd think, I have brain cancer...I have brain cancer......I don't want to have brain cancer......I can feel it in my head.....
    And, well, the thyroid is in the neck.

Thought I'd share......

03-03-09 04:29 PM
    May G_d bless you sodakitty, be strong. Focus on what your life will be in 10 years, and never doubt you'll get there. You can always PM me if you need support.

03-03-09 05:48 PM
    Wow guys its nice to see people opening up. I dream a lot and they usually seem to come true. Like I dream of myself being in situations at certain places and when I'm there I can tell you the next thing that is going to happen in detail. How or why I don't know but its erie. I have had dreams of people I haven't talked to in years then for one reason or another they find a way to contact me.

All of the previous posts are touching and I know from experience they will change the way you look at life and change priorities real fast.

I have had dreams like that too. It is weird to get that deja vu feeling. It seems to hit you in the gut... especially when the whole scene plays out exactly the way you *knew* it would.

03-04-09 06:09 AM
    Kanga that was a very eerie story. I'm so glad that it turned out okay and that you are still with us here.
    03-04-09 06:15 AM
    So....got to update. Um, not happily either......
    So, I posted one of the first responses that said I've felt often that I'm going to die, but nothing happened.

Well, today I was told I have thyroid cancer.
    While usually it can be solved by removing the thyroid, there's the rare case of part of the malignant nodule breaking off in the blood stream and spreading to other parts of the body.
    While this probably won't happen, and I really hope it doesn't happen (I'm 24, getting married next year, planning on a baby...my life's just really begun)........I couldn't help but think of this thread just now.

What's crazy is that every time I felt like I knew I was going to die, I'd think, I have brain cancer...I have brain cancer......I don't want to have brain cancer......I can feel it in my head.....
    And, well, the thyroid is in the neck.

Thought I'd share......

Geez! I am sorry sodakitty. I wonder sometimes if we are not meant to "feel" things like this so it can be found early enough to help/cure. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Stay positive (I know that is extremely hard to do) and focus on you and your health. Please keep us updated. Again, I am so sorry.
    :sad:

03-04-09 06:16 AM
    Yes I do . . . Every freakin day in this economy!!
    03-04-09 07:54 AM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD