Besides the Blackberry, the DVR (digital video recorder) has got to be one of the most used pieces of technology in my home and in many others I know.

After about 4 years of use, I can no longer imagine watching tv without it. We use it to record almost every show we watch even if we are home. When it is done, we will watch the show and fast forward through the commercials. I now find that I have a really hard time sitting through a whole show or movie when I can't FF it through the ads.

Do I need to go to the bathroom? Why yes I believe I do! Just pause it. Did we ever get any kidney infections when we had to wait until a commercial came on to go to the bathroom? LOL! I find it funny when we get so used to things that we can't remember what we did without it.

So... Do you DVR? What shows do you DVR? If you had too many shows set to record and you had to kick one off, what would you kick off and for which show would you do it?

Share!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-15-09 10:29 PM
    I DVR ER and ****'s Kitchen and the amazing Race. This morning I recorded a Avril Livigine concert. I've had to delete a few movies. I wish my DVR was 500 Gigs.

03-16-09 12:52 AM
    I love ****'s Kitchen! Gordon Ramsey is hilarious. Have you ever watched Kitchen Nightmares with him in it? It started on the BBC but has aired on regular tv here as well.

03-16-09 01:33 AM
    I love Gordon Ramsey my mom has his type of personality. I love Kitchen Nightmares! I watch it on the BBC and regular tv.

03-16-09 01:43 AM
    Oh yeah if I didn't have my Tivo, I could not watch TV. And I must admit, I am a TIVO addict. Between me and the roomie, there are 5 Tivos living in the house. Got 4 of them with lifetime subs from Craigs List for 50 bucks each! WHOOO F'n Hoooo!!!

I'm also a HeII's Kitchen and Kitchen Nightmares fan. With my work schedule, it would be impossible to ever watch many of the things I like to watch, when the shows are actually on. And with a VCR, I would miss pretty much anything that overlapped or came on at the same time on different stations, until rerun season rolled around.

And I can't watch TV when I'm visiting friends, so thankfully we play games or just visit.

We even tried one of the Comcast DVRs when it was free for 6 months. The thing was so unresponsive to the remote, didn't like the guide, and it could not talk to the other DVRs in the house, so it lasted 3 days before it went back.

Oh and having been a manager in several restaurants, I have had a few GR rants, though the guests never heard any of them (I hope). That's what the walk in cooler is for!
    03-16-09 02:17 AM
    After about 4 years of use, I can no longer imagine watching tv without it. We use it to record almost every show we watch even if we are home. When it is done, we will watch the show and fast forward through the commercials. I now find that I have a really hard time sitting through a whole show or movie when I can't FF it through the ads.
    I DVR all the time. It's such a pleasure to FF through commercials. Normally whatever is recorded, I watch on the wknds. I don't care t have so many shows recorded that I ended up weeks behind whats current.
    We even tried one of the Comcast DVRs when it was free for 6 months. The thing was so unresponsive to the remote, didn't like the guide, and it could not talk to the other DVRs in the house, so it lasted 3 days before it went back.
    Not sure why you had so many issues with the remote and the guide- 2 of the easiest things to use.

As far as talking to other DVR's; unless you know something I don't know, each DVR box works independently of each other- not together. If someone told you they did- they told you wrong; or you assumed they would.

03-16-09 02:41 AM
    I'm kinda sad he stopped taping kitchen nightmares in Europe. The American version sucks. I swear Fox has the same soundtrack and camera crew for every reality show they produce.

Back on topic, I have a dvr and never use it. I don't have time to watch TV.

03-16-09 10:13 AM
    We watch about twice as much tv with the DVR. I've got the entire season of Hero's waiting to be watched after we get through everything else.
    03-16-09 11:29 AM
    I LOVE MY DVR!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I record NHL games, House, Life, Dollhouse, Chuck, Leverage, Burn Notice and a few others. I also have an external hard drive hooked to it so I can burn shows or games to DVDs.

I have become so addicted to it that I find myself wanting to FF real life sometimes. I was talking to my wife while I was a hockey game with my son about a week ago and I was getting frustrated that I couldn't just FF through the first intermission. I almost hate watching anything in real time now.

For any of the TV shows that I miss or have to drop because of a scheduling conflict I will usually just catch on hulu or tv.blinkx.com
    03-16-09 01:08 PM
    I DVR all the time. It's such a pleasure to FF through commercials. Normally whatever is recorded, I watch on the wknds. I don't care t have so many shows recorded that I ended up weeks behind whats current.
    Not sure why you had so many issues with the remote and the guide- 2 of the easiest things to use.

As far as talking to other DVR's; unless you know something I don't know, each DVR box works independently of each other- not together. If someone told you they did- they told you wrong; or you assumed they would.

The main issue with Comcast DVRs remote, was it was SLOW. The grid was ok, but I like seeing several hours ahead of time, without having to move off the day/hour I was viewing at the time.

The fast forward would not stop when we wanted it to, so there was way too much backing up to get where you where. And of course I knew the cable DVR would not "talk" to the TIVO's or other Comcast DVRs for that matter, but since it was a free offer, thought we'd might as well give it a try. And since the cable guy knocked on the door with the offer, how could we say no?

Didn't see the need to keep it, even if it was free, longer than a week anyway.

Now the TIVO's can work together, in the sense that if box A in the living room has something on it I'd like to watch in my bedroom, I can transfer it over and watch it there. And also do the same for the rest of them on the network. Also have the option of burning a DVD of shows, or save them off to the laptop to watch on the road. But all the different makes of DVRs have their good and bad points, beats swaping tapes any day!
    03-16-09 10:02 PM
    The main issue with Comcast DVRs remote, was it was SLOW. The grid was ok, but I like seeing several hours ahead of time, without having to move off the day/hour I was viewing at the time.

The fast forward would not stop when we wanted it to, so there was way too much backing up to get where you where. And of course I knew the cable DVR would not "talk" to the TIVO's or other Comcast DVRs for that matter, but since it was a free offer, thought we'd might as well give it a try. And since the cable guy knocked on the door with the offer, how could we say no?

Didn't see the need to keep it, even if it was free, longer than a week anyway.

Now the TIVO's can work together, in the sense that if box A in the living room has something on it I'd like to watch in my bedroom, I can transfer it over and watch it there. And also do the same for the rest of them on the network. Also have the option of burning a DVD of shows, or save them off to the laptop to watch on the road. But all the different makes of DVRs have their good and bad points, beats swaping tapes any day!
    Bear, I don't TIVO so I'm lost on the 1st point. If you need to see several hours ahead of time, without having to move off the day/hour you were viewing at the time, wouldn't that automatically take you off of what you were already viewing?

I mean on my DVR, if I'm looking at the grid for whats on now, and I want to see whats coming on 4 hours from now, it's going to move me from right now to later- it doesn't stay on right now- so yea....you've lost me completely.

As far as fast forward not stop when you wanted it to- if you hit the FF button to go at it's max, then the chance of you stopping at just the right moment are pretty slim. That's the only thing that could explain to me why you had so far reverse so much.
    03-16-09 10:31 PM
    Bear, I don't TIVO so I'm lost on the 1st point. If you need to see several hours ahead of time, without having to move off the day/hour you were viewing at the time, wouldn't that automatically take you off of what you were already viewing?

That's the nice thing, you can see Mon @ 3pm on the left side of the screen, and on the right side of the screen you can scroll down, and never lose your place on the left side. It's a split screen with current time/day channel list one the left side, with future times on the right side, allowing you to scroll down, up to 14 days on that channel if you like, to pick and choose things to record or just scan to see what's coming up.

You also have the option of viewing in the the grid format as your DVR does. Not saying one guide view is better,

I mean on my DVR, if I'm looking at the grid for whats on now, and I want to see whats coming on 4 hours from now, it's going to move me from right now to later- it doesn't stay on right now- so yea....you've lost me completely.
    That's what I find crazy making with the normal TV Guide style grid.

As far as fast forward not stop when you wanted it to- if you hit the FF button to go at it's max, then the chance of you stopping at just the right moment are pretty slim. That's the only thing that could explain to me why you had so far reverse so much.
    Yeah it does that with the Tivo as well, but even at it fastest, you can normally stop a frame or two into what you were watching without shooting over several mins. 1 press fast, 2nd press faster, 3rd press fastest, with the key frames speeding by allowing you to stop when you see show and not commercial frames. So it works the same as the cable remote, just much more responsive. But then I also find the cable remote slower to scroll or page through the listings as well. Again, not better or worse, just my preception maybe or the OS used in the two different DVRs ?

I did notice that when paging through the ON DEMAND option for cable (free or otherwise), that there were these really long pauses if you were just paging through several screens, the same with the extended digital cable boxes and their remotes, but no such pauses if you use a universal remote or trained the Tivo remote to do the same. Only hinky thing is the TIVO remote I have can get me to the ON Demand station 0 just not to any of the menus. (Evilness!)

So I'm sure it's just me, like when I drive my manual car and hop into an automatic, takes me a few stop lights to stop reaching for the clutch and gear shift.
    03-17-09 02:33 AM
    Ohhhhh split screen. Alright- that explains it. Like I said, I don't have TIVO so I was/am thinking of it in terms of how my DVR box operates.

As far as the remotes, I find mine to be very responsive. When I am fast forwarding through commercials, I know I have to at least go through 4 of them, so I'm usually prepared for when it's time to stop; which is normally a frame or 2 before the program starts again.

Now, my Harmony One (Logitech) isnt as responsive as I need it to be. Since that's user programmable, I just need to change some setting; just havent felt like doing it.

Thanks for the break down for me.
    03-17-09 03:47 AM
    I love my DVR. I wouldn't be able to keep up with my shows without it.
    03-17-09 04:20 AM
    I love my DVR. I wouldn't be able to keep up with my shows without it.
    Now if only Comcast customers could set recordings from our phones like DirecTV customers; I'd be extremely happy!
    03-17-09 04:27 AM
    Oh, BlkBear do I feel your pain?

I have 2 Comcast DVRs. Sometimes when we are fast forwarding, we will go a bit to far. So then we rewind, and find out that we have friggin' went halfway through the program. LOL!

Other times we make a contest to see who can stop it at just the right time after going forward as fast as it will go. I know... we are just way boring. I don't know anything about TIVO. Maybe I will have to check into that.

03-17-09 06:41 AM
    Oh, BlkBear do I feel your pain?

I have 2 Comcast DVRs. Sometimes when we are fast forwarding, we will go a bit to far. So then we rewind, and find out that we have friggin' went halfway through the program. LOL!

Other times we make a contest to see who can stop it at just the right time after going forward as fast as it will go. I know... we are just way boring. I don't know anything about TIVO. Maybe I will have to check into that.

LOL @ the contest. If you stop after 4-5 commercials, you're pretty close to the program starting where it's supposed to.
    03-17-09 06:44 AM
    ^^^ LMAO! You need to tell that to my husband. He is the one that always loses!

03-17-09 07:02 AM
    ^^^ LMAO! You need to tell that to my husband. He is the one that always loses!

Girl, he's a man- they don't listen to anyone but themselves and expect the rest of us to sit there in awe of their wonder......^uck that!!!
    03-17-09 09:09 AM
    ^^^ LMAO! If 12 years of marriage has taught me anything, your post says it all.

03-17-09 09:15 AM
    Girl, he's a man- they don't listen to anyone but themselves and expect the rest of us to sit there in awe of their wonder......^uck that!!!
    Wait a second.... you mean it's not a law or something to marvel at our ability to not have to read direction/maps? Besides who can hear when we're clicking the remote?

And anyway while watching the DVR recorded shows, is NOT the time to be listening to anything but the TV.

"Can't talk... eating steak."
    "Can't talk... watching Hero's."
    "Time to multitask ... wife/gf talking." <ducking>
    03-17-09 11:16 AM
    ^^^ LMAO! If 12 years of marriage has taught me anything, your post says it all.
    Dear Kanga,

Gimme the remote, get in the kitchen and bake me some pie!
    03-17-09 11:18 AM
    My cable company provides one as an added feature to one of their packages. My girl uses it more and records Grey's Anatomy and American Idol.

I mainly use it during the college football season when I am at work and unable to watch the Notre Dame games.
    03-17-09 11:21 AM
    I record jeopardy, eastbound and down gangland,leverage when before the season ended,wheel of fortune, and heroes, and any comedy specials I'll want to watch over again. Right now I got will ferrell, kevin hart, chris rock, and dave chappelle.

I finally broke down and ordered it on valentine's day so I wouldn't miss the dunk contest, and now it stays at 50 percent full.

03-17-09 06:51 PM
    Um, here's a label I found

Note: Of course I wouldn't have posted this if Mrs. Exelant wasn't 4500 miles away

Last edited by exelant; 03-17-09 at 08:03 PM.
    03-17-09 07:58 PM
48 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD