As Larry Johnson nears the Kansas City Chiefs' all-time rushing record, more than 10,000 fans have signed an online petition pleading for team officials to deactivate the running back after he posted homosexual slurs on his Twitter account.

The petition � which has garnered 10,716 signatures as of early Thursday � calls on general manager Scott Pioli to act before Johnson, 29, surpasses running back Priest Holmes for the team rushing record.

"We are asking you, as fans of this team, this organization, and of the pride that this city has in the Chiefs, please deactivate Larry Johnson," the petition reads. "Please do not let his name sit atop the all-time rushing leaders in Kansas City Chiefs history. He needs a mere 80 yards to surpass Priest. He doesn't deserve that opportunity."

Johnson, a former Pro Bowler, was suspended late last month for conduct detrimental to the team after he questioned coach Todd Haley's qualifications and posted two homosexual slurs on his Twitter account, including one in which he called another user a "Christopher street boy," an apparent reference to New York City's Christopher Street, which is synonymous with the city's gay-pride movement.

"Larry Johnson is a disgrace to the NFL and should not be allowed to play because of his behavior and the remarks that he has made," petitioner Patrick Gilman wrote.

Another petitioner, Jason Shukeat, called Johnson an "embarrassment" to the 1-6 Chiefs, who are mired in last place in the AFC West.

"It will be a travesty if he is allowed to return from his latest misconduct," Shukeat wrote. "Between beating women and voicing slurs toward fans and media, there is absolutely no reason this trash should even have a job, much less become the franchise's all-time leading rusher. With new management and coaching this year, Johnson needs to be gone to show that the attitude within the organization has changed and that we will not stand for thugs on this team."

Since being drafted by the Chiefs in 2003, Johnson has been arrested four times for various degrees of battery, including one incident in which the Maryland native pleaded guilty to disturbing the peace after allegedly spitting in the face of a woman at a Kansas City nightclub.

Johnson later received two years' probation and was ordered to attend a domestic violence diversion program for an earlier arrest. In 2007, Johnson signed a five-year contract extension that could be worth up to $45 million, including $19 million guaranteed.

Bob Moore, director of public relations for the Chiefs, said the team would not comment on the petition. Johnson will return to the team next week following his suspension and $315,000 penalty.

"He's due to come back next Monday," Moore said.

Johnson's agent, Peter Schaffer, did not return calls seeking comment Thursday. He told The Associated Press that Johnson has learned from the incident.

"Larry apologized," Schaffer said. "He learned from it and hopefully other people learned from it. My hope is that people learn that something positive can come out of this and that there are words that should not be used because they demean people."

Johnson's comment led Jarrett Barrios, president of the Gay & Lesbian Allaince Against Defamation, to call on the NFL and the Chiefs to take disciplinary actions against the running back, calling the incident a chance to educate on the "dangers of homophobia" in sports.

Through a spokesman, Johnson apologized for the incident on Oct. 22.

"I regret my actions," he said. "The words were used by me in frustration, and they were not appropriate. I did not intend to offend anyone, but that is no excuse for what I said."

Johnson continued, "I'm going to work to that point to get my life back on track and know that I and I alone put myself in these critical situations and environments to where things don't come out favorably to me."

Despite the apology, Kansas City fans are still calling for Johnson's helmet.

"Allowing Larry Johnson to attain a record is something that can never be erased," the petition reads. "In a year where the team is trying to look toward the future with many young players, please don�t add to the collective morose this city is feeling by allowing one of the truly great players, people, and role models in this city�s sporting history to be replaced in the record books by someone who we don�t like and who doesn�t like us."

I have to say that i high disagree with the trying to stop him from reaching the mark he is trying to set. but i don't agree with him posting on twitter what he did. someone shouldn't be bashed for the lifestyle they live, at their own will. but trying to stop someone from reaching their personal goal isn't saying much for the community try to stop someone.

anyway .....
    i do have a valid source for this article but but i'm going to see how it pans out with posting the source's link...

discuss.
    11-05-09 01:31 PM
    I think he should play. If this guy came out and just called someone a ____________ they wouldn't freak out but he makes a gay joke. I never like Larry after he tackled Polamalu by the hair(one hand wrapped up in his hair) but lets face it Kansas City isn't doing anything well this year so let Larry play God knows Bowe needs some help.
    11-05-09 01:46 PM
    What ever and whoever he is we do not judge him. Lets give him a respect anyhow he is still a human being. Even though we conclude him but still he is and what he is, Hes been happy with his life so whats the problem with it? For me i still admire him for being honest to himself.
    11-06-09 12:40 AM
    I don't agree with it. Sure they could punish him with fines blah blah blah. But he did it on HIS OWN TIME, not on the teams dollar. Dudes worked for it and should be able to earn his all-time rusher status.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-07-09 09:19 PM
    Its Twitter and Football. The 2 have no bearing on one another. Sucks that he is an *** but that doesn't effect his ability to run with a football.

As for the hair tackle, I say good for him. If these guys want to have 3' of hair hanging out of their helmet in a pro football game its fair game to be grabbed for a tackle. Its like throwing someone a rope. You expect them not to grab it if thats what they can get their hands on?
    11-09-09 09:40 AM
    Oh well looks like LarryBoy is a free agent now.
    11-10-09 12:02 PM
    Who cares? I make gay jokes all the time, I know gay dudes who insult straight guys by calling them gay. It's just a joke and while I would never say something like that online (if I was in his position) or to someone who's feelings I could potentially hurt, I still don't think it should matter as far as his career is concerned.
    11-10-09 12:51 PM
    Yeah he isn't a politician, I think its lame they tossed him although he had been suspended twice in the last year...
    11-10-09 12:57 PM
    Yeah that's a different story.

If I screw up at work, I won't be surprised if I get fired.

If I get into a fight at a bar while my boss is watching and then get fired (just the first example that came to mind), I would have something to say about it.
    11-10-09 01:03 PM
    Yeah that's a different story.

If I screw up at work, I won't be surprised if I get fired.

If I get into a fight at a bar while my boss is watching and then get fired (just the first example that came to mind), I would have something to say about it.
    Yeah my question is what if its a bar fight with your boss???
    11-10-09 01:05 PM
    Yeah my question is what if its a bar fight with your boss???
    I'll probably get promoted.

Boy do I know how to lose a fight.
    11-10-09 01:14 PM
    He kind of had it coming anyway. Hitting women in clubs and things of that nature.

As far as his "slur" goes, I guess since I'm not gay I don't understand the magnitude
    of the word. But he lacks good judgement. Whether it was right or wrong of him to
    use the slur, he shouldn't have used it. Twice. He should know better than that
    since it would cause a backlash. Bad judgement.
    11-10-09 01:16 PM
    Agreed. Seems like he had very poor judgement.
    11-10-09 01:28 PM
    Agreed. Seems like he had very poor judgement.
    Yes...your dad did infact have unbelievably poor judgement.
    11-10-09 01:47 PM
    I wouldn't know, I've never met him. I would have to assume the same.
    11-10-09 02:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD