Hello All,

I am just curious to know how many people reply to threads just to get their numbers up to move to another crackberry user level. A lot of times, someone asks a question and there will be 15 responses and 10 of the responses said exactly the same thing as the one before.

Now I know sometimes we are writing at the same time someone else is posted and as soon as we submit ours we see 2 other people have already responded. That's understandable. But I am talking about the users that respond 2 hours later and didn't add anything to the existing posts and said exactly the same thing someone else said 2 hours earlier. Or is it just confirming what someone said so the person who asked the question has more confidence in the answer? Is confirming an answer really neccessary if you aren't adding anything new to the discussion? How much confirmation is too much?

It doesn't bother me, just wondering what you guys think.
    09-04-08 02:49 PM
    I'd say some people do post for a higher post count, but not all.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-04-08 02:51 PM
    I agree completely. But that will happen in every forum because that's just the way a lot of people are.
    09-04-08 02:52 PM
    I try to help and contribute wherever I can meself.
    09-04-08 02:58 PM
    I try to help and contribute wherever I can meself.
    I think we all try to help whenever we can. I just don't see the point in someone saying the same exact thing someone else said 1 hour ago. Then at that point, you're not really helping just "fluffing" because the question was already answered.
    09-04-08 03:00 PM
    Hello All,

I am just curious to know how many people reply to threads just to get their numbers up to move to another crackberry user level. A lot of times, someone asks a question and there will be 15 responses and 10 of the responses said exactly the same thing as the one before.

Now I know sometimes we are writing at the same time someone else is posted and as soon as we submit ours we see 2 other people have already responded. That's understandable. But I am talking about the users that respond 2 hours later and didn't add anything to the existing posts and said exactly the same thing someone else said 2 hours earlier. Or is it just confirming what someone said so the person who asked the question has more confidence in the answer? Is confirming an answer really neccessary if you aren't adding anything new to the discussion? How much confirmation is too much?

Responding at the same time someone else is - very common. You'll notice that the time posted is either exact or a minute or two past.

Now, I've been around here long enough to recognize that even though a post may seem like its just mirroring what someone else said, its often coming from someone knowledgable and that post isnt a co-sign, but a reinforcement to the OP. You'll also notice that the same type of post I am referring to will also have a lil something extra added to it.

"the users that respond 2 hours later and didn't add anything to the existing posts and said exactly the same thing someone else said 2 hours earlier; " I'm not really sure what to say about that. For those that just cling to what the last 10-20 people said....welll....you've already got that figured out.
    09-04-08 03:01 PM
    i just have an opinion about everything.
    09-04-08 03:02 PM
    i just have an opinion about everything.
    Actually there's nothing wrong with that. Sometimes its a different opinion that helps people see things from another point of view. Thats not the same as coming along hours later and responding my typing the exact same thing that last 100 people said.

1 more number!
    & this was for post count!
    09-04-08 03:04 PM
    haha, i was just being mean i guess. im sorry. but yes i think some people just sit in the newbie section and hit em up as they come in
    09-04-08 03:07 PM
    Responding at the same time someone else is - very common. You'll notice that the time posted is either exact or a minute or two past.

Now, I've been around here long enough to recognize that even though a post may seem like its just mirroring what someone else said, its often coming from someone knowledgable and that post isnt a co-sign, but a reinforcement to the OP. You'll also notice that the same type of post I am referring to will also have a lil something extra added to it.

"the users that respond 2 hours later and didn't add anything to the existing posts and said exactly the same thing someone else said 2 hours earlier; " I'm not really sure what to say about that. For those that just cling to what the last 10-20 people said....welll....you've already got that figured out.
    Yeah I know sometimes people will post and reinforce an answer or something, but this question was not geared to those. Also, I know some people post at the same time (which I already addressed). As I stated, I am talking about those who add absolutely nothing and respond like 2 hours later and said the exact same thing as someone else did an hour ago.

For instance, there's a post going on about VZW not letting you type of 160 characters. Now 3 people already responded a while ago saying you can use MMS instead because it will allow you to typ up to 1000 characters. Now they all said that around the same time, so that's cool. 1 1/2 hours later after the person says "thanks for your response" a "genius" posts "you can make it an MMS message, you can type up to 1000". WTF!!!??? Was this needed LOL. Just makes me laugh sometimes.
    09-04-08 03:14 PM
    Actually there's nothing wrong with that. Sometimes its a different opinion that helps people see things from another point of view. Thats not the same as coming along hours later and responding my typing the exact same thing that last 100 people said.

& this was for post count!
    Completely agree.
    09-04-08 03:16 PM
    I would say for myself, that I usually only go into a thread when there hasn't been a lot of people posted unless its something I want to know or If its like an general question that is asking as many of us to respond. But I know if I see a post titled "How to remove sent from my blackberry" and there are like 15 replies, I'm pretty confident in this site that someone knew what they were talking about LOL.
    09-04-08 03:19 PM
    I have posted in the newbie section a bunch of times, but it's tough to keep up with new users, my plan was to have set links and post in their welcome thread. Example rules, and any other crackberry info that most newbies seem to never read.....

I don't see nothing wrong with it.. As I am here to help.... Post counts don't matter to me....
    09-04-08 03:20 PM
    LOL you should see the n00b forums....

Some new BB user asks a legit question, the thread gets 50 replies just saying "Welcome to CB!" or something similar, and in the end no one answers the question.

It's always nice and polite to greet and welcome newcomers but it's obvious that a lot of users are just "padding" their post-count.

btw...... Welcome to CB! =D

*this reply was made solely to increase DAP1MP13's post-count*

09-04-08 03:29 PM
    Hello All,

I am just curious to know how many people reply to threads just to get their numbers up to move to another crackberry user level.
    ... [snip]...
    Who said we are capable of rational thought

There seem to be a few who could qualify as greeters at the mall. Yup, its nice to feel wanted but even better if they can throw a few crumbs of useful info into the 'Welcome' post. Personally I don't think it matters too much unless it makes the board unusable, so if someone feels their forum status is important let them chase message count. We all get to know who has a good signal/noise ratio in our regular haunts.

What next? 'Me Too' posts and 'Call For Votes' threads? :;
    09-04-08 03:51 PM
    Hello All,

Sometimes it is very obvious, I posted a day ago about a new software to liberate your itunes playlist so that you can put them on your berry. I stated plainly it was an option to BB sync and Roxio if you wanted to have your itunes on your berry, two people went on to post that if I was not aware there was BB sync. I am like what. Did I not say that in my post? There was no rhyme or reason for those two posts. Almost like what I am doing right now, no just kidding I could give less than a ------------about the number of post I have.
    09-04-08 03:52 PM
    With any board that has a fair amount of activity, posts can get lost because new posts come in on top. I know when this board is humming along, a post can get knock back a page or two in the category before anyone has responded. I think there are instances where a good discussion is going on where the topic needs to be "bumped" to get it back on the main page.

I'm not saying that should be regular practice for every topic, but sometimes an agreement post helps draw out new and important info and discussion.

I think Crackberry users do an excellent job of staying on topic for the most part.

Another interest of mine is cars, and automotive forums get out of control fast...
    09-04-08 04:15 PM

Yeah, what ScandaLeX said.... woo hoo +1
    09-04-08 04:17 PM
    I'll admit that in my earlier days on CrackBerry I was a bit of a gopher. You know gopher this and gopher that.

Now, I look at a post and think do these guys really need my opinion here. Usually I think, 'Nah.' and move on. Then again, here I felt that I could contribute with my much awaited and needed opinion - not lol.
    09-04-08 04:22 PM
    Who would post to get the count up ??? (Hahaha)

09-04-08 04:35 PM
    but does that really bother people? i mean ive been in the middle of typing response when someone would beat me to the punch. you cant help that
    09-04-08 05:35 PM
    I always post welcomes to the newbies because if I was a noob and saw that one particular person welcomed everyone BUT me, I might feel a little left out. I just like to welcome everyone equally. At the end of the day, who really cares? Its a social place and we're social creatures and sometime we just want to "talk"
    09-04-08 05:40 PM
    see im gonna have to agree with michelle on this one. i really dont see the problem in someone posting the same answer as someone else. who cares if theyre doing to increase their status on here. i mean really
    09-04-08 05:46 PM
    I think there may be some people who post just for the sake of
    posting, but most I think are generally trying to be helpful.

I do make a practice of deleting my post if it immediately follows
    an answer to which my post adds nothing to.
    09-04-08 05:49 PM
    Haha .. well I have been here for a few months now and I can say that until I read this thread I had never noticed that people have different lil colored balls next to there name to show difference in the members .. and just noticed on the right side that it shows how many post people have done !! haha ..SO as you can see I am not in it to have a high number of post .
    09-04-08 05:50 PM
87 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD