I have a Small group within my personal friends , and was thinking what other neo-soul lovers are out here. FAVS include Bilal,Jill, Common, India, Donnie, D'angelo, PJ Morton etc. etc. always looking for new artist
    10-23-09 07:40 PM
    Not new but good...Dwele, Darien Brockington, and I'm sure there are others I'm missing

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-24-09 11:01 AM
    I have been pumping darien brockington "beautiful" hard the past couple of days , dwele nice but a bit commercial

10-25-09 12:51 AM
    Not new but good...Dwele, Darien Brockington, and I'm sure there are others I'm missing

Yes and Yes. Two of my favorites right there. All the top tier people have pretty much already been mentioned, but I'll throw in:

Corrine Bailey Rae
    Erykah Badu
    Raheem Devaughn
    Vaughn Anthony
    The Foreign Exchange (2nd album)

And I don't think Dwele is commercial. That one commercial for McCafe is nothing...lol. He is still largely unknown (even after doing "Flashing Lights"), which is just the way I like it. Been keeping up with him since he appeared on Slum Village's "Tainted." Definitely in my top 2.
    10-25-09 02:36 AM
    Foreign exchange.....simply beautful....have both albums but would have to say that "come around" is still one of my fav songs ever. I don't consider Dwele too commercial at all....and I love tainted by the way. I'm a fan of Blackilicious too.

10-25-09 07:14 PM
    I just was listening to pandora and I heard dwele "my lova" and I almost want to take back what I said. Recently got put on to foreign exchange and yazarah they opened up for crisette a couple of months back

10-27-09 07:17 AM
    26/m/dc. Feel free to add me 30E25C00

10-27-09 07:19 AM
    I like Blackalicious and Common, haven't really heard of many of the other artists mentioned here but I'm gonna check em out. Seems like a resounding favorite/s would be Foreign Exchange and Dwele.
    10-27-09 10:11 AM
    Yazarah...voice of an angel.....I'm on a big Foreign Exchange tip...got into them thru my love of little brother. Nicolay's beats are everything I envision as beautiful hip hop. But back to neo-soul..I love it but am relatively new to it. Def feeling it though

10-27-09 06:02 PM
    Old school Maxwell. Like the "Urban Hang Suite" album. Not sure if this qualifies, but that's one of my favorites.

Edit: Again, not sure if it qualifies, but Mint Condition.
    10-27-09 06:29 PM
    I like Blackalicious and Common, haven't really heard of many of the other artists mentioned here but I'm gonna check em out. Seems like a resounding favorite/s would be Foreign Exchange and Dwele.
    For each year Foreign Exchange albums came out (there's two albums), they were the best albums that came out in each respective year, in my opinion. What makes it's so great is the story of Foreign Exchange. It just so happens that I explained it to a friend of mine through email (trying to get her into good music) and I can copy and paste it here :

It all starts with the infamous Roots crew. Yes, The Roots...the greatest hip hop collaborative effort...ever basically. Out of The Roots have come the likes of Black Thought (of course), but also Erykah Badu and Jill Scott. So if you're an up and coming artist and you open for The Roots, it's a big deal.

Seven years ago a group from North Carolina called Little Brother opened for The Roots. Little Brother consist of three members. Two hip hop artists - Phonte and Big Pooh, and the producer 9th Wonder. With their first album alone they arguably placed themselves within the category of top 5 hip hop groups of all time...ALL time.

So...one day Phonte (pronounced "Fon-tay" btw) was on a hip hop site called okayplayer.com in the blog section and began talking to this producer named Nicolay (Nick-o-lay). Just a regular guy who produces music, but he's not from North Carolina, South Carolina, or even America. He's from and resides in the Netherlands. Phonte heard his work and was completely blown away. After a while he was like, "man...we've got do something..."

Nicolay would send Phonte tracks and Phonte would lay vocals over them, and creating an album in the process. What makes the story so interesting and beautiful is that they never met each other ONCE during this entire period. Never once even spoke on the phone. Everything was done over Instant Messenger. Nicolay would send Phonte a track, Phonte would record over it and then send it back to him. The barriers that were crossed...the love involved...it was something amazing.

That is pretty much how they got their name - The Foreign Exchange. The title of the first album was just as poetic - "Connected". The way it was done wasn't just a bunch of songs, but it sounded like one cohesive piece. I would never say that Nicolay "makes beats." Nicolay creates soundscapes. The album cover gives a good visual.

The music they make together is more soulful than one would think when they think hip hop, but they are an extremely refreshing change in the hip hop world. Totally different. Both albums they created so far have a more soul/jazz vibe above anything.

and Dwele...just get ALL of his stuff right now.
    10-28-09 12:13 AM
    Very informative, I appreciate the info Distraktion. I'll get on top of this ASAP, I feel left out if I haven't heard of an artist.
    10-28-09 10:13 AM
    Any Anthony David lovers in here? His duet with India Arie is just plain sexay.
    10-28-09 12:22 PM
    @robot- I don't think you'll be disappointed with Foreign Exchange. Distraktion hit it right on the head when stated Nicolay makes "soundscapes". Not "beats" if you can appreciate that.

10-28-09 09:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD