View Poll Results: Direct TV vs Cable

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have Direct TV

7 35.00%
  • Cable for me

13 65.00%
    Who here has Direct TV at their house compared to cable? I have had cable forever, but Im gonna make the switch, with the main reason being the NFL sunday ticket

and it actually is gonna cost about 30 a month less than cable was charging me for the same channels
    08-17-08 12:53 PM
    I just agreed with the Mrs. To pull the plug on cable TV w/o replacing with Direct TV. Just got sick of 100 channels of junk.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-17-08 01:08 PM
    Get Directv over cable cheaper!
    08-17-08 01:18 PM
    Dtv has more channels and costs much less than cable...
    08-17-08 02:11 PM
    I don't have Direvt TV but my sister does. NFL sunday ticket is enough for me if I could have it.

08-17-08 02:14 PM
    True about the more channels. I was looking though...and it seems like they have a lot of duplicates. Another reason that I havent made the switch is because of the weather issues with DTV. A small storm and no TV. Not to good for here on the east coast.
    08-17-08 02:15 PM
    I have DISH network and will say I have it because it is HALF the cost of basic cable where I live. YEP it goes out in a badstorm but i can always watch REGULAR TV when this happens and it usually doesn't stay out long.

I also like my DVR with Dish which I use ALL the time. It cost me $4.95 a month and I can record without setting anything except a touch of a button. plus OMG being able to pause any TV including LIVE TV is a lifesaver. i can go to the store and come back and just RESUME watching TV. also comes in handy for bathrom breaks/phone calls/making snacks/ changing the laundry. Plus it even saves 2hours of your last channel you were watching even if you forget to hit the pause button!!!!
    08-17-08 04:24 PM
    Absolutly get Direct TV. One thing not mentioned are the HD channels! It has more than anyone else. That's also where the duplicate channels come from - one each for standard and high definition. You can program your receiver to not show the ones you don't use. Get the DVR so you can record, pause and take breaks.

I have only lost reception a few times during bad weather - and only once did it last for more than ten minutes, and that time was for an hour. When I made the appointment for them to come out, it only took a few days - not weeks like cable. Thay have also been able to solve all my problems so far remotely.

They also don't treat you like they are doing you a favor like Comcast. Look for the adds in your Sunday paper and you should be able to get a good deal and most of your equipment free.

08-17-08 04:49 PM
    The deal they are advertising alot now is the NFL sunday ticket with their premier package getting the hd dvr free all you pay for the first 4 months is nfl sunday ticket 75 bucks/month
    08-17-08 04:53 PM
    The deal they are advertising alot now is the NFL sunday ticket with their premier package getting the hd dvr free all you pay for the first 4 months is nfl sunday ticket 75 bucks/month
    I'd go for it. Some people are worried about the weather, but I live in Colorado where we get some pretty bad snowstorms. Like I said, we almost never lose reception. I should admit that I had a bad experience with Comcast customer service once and will never go back because I got a very rude rep. Isn't that what business is all about? If you don't treat your customers well, word gets out.

I've had Direct TV for three years and I am very satisfied.
    08-17-08 05:00 PM
    I dont have to really worry about bad weather.
    08-17-08 05:04 PM
    I dont have to really worry about bad weather.
    Where do you live? People always hear about Colorado's bad weather, but we get over 310 sunny days a year. People play golf in Denver in January and go to the mountains the next day to snowboard or ski.
    08-17-08 05:30 PM
    I miss Dish Network, but no place to get a signal at my new house. digital cable for now...

08-17-08 05:33 PM
    Dish Network! Its a lot cheaper and better quality. I work at a place that sells both.

08-19-08 12:19 AM
    Cable only because the APT complex won't let me get a dish, wankers
    08-19-08 12:25 AM
    Yeah orginally my parents had dish networks hd service and were very happy but wanted to add it to an extra room, and were talked into switching to direct tv because it was cheaper and supposedly has better picture quality. Turns out they get it hooked up and it looked better with dish network. My opinion is go dish network.

08-19-08 01:39 AM
    Cable only because the APT complex won't let me get a dish, wankers
    Federal law says, neighborhood, Condo and Town home HOAs aren't allowed to interfere with you getting an over the air TV signal. I don't know if this applies to apartment complexes. Maybe you can get a ruling from your local government agency about your rights as a renter (of course you might want to do it anonymously so you p*ss the landlord off).

Direct or Dish? I have the opposite opinion about picture quality. I think my Direct TV has a better picture than my neighbor's Dish network, but in HD they're both sweet -- better than cable any day.
    08-19-08 12:05 PM
    I work for a cable company so I get free service however if I was paying for service I would have Direct TV for the NFL ticket
    08-19-08 12:41 PM
    Whats wrong with Digital Cable, I have Sunday Ticket, Extra Innings, and Center Ice! All my channels are HD (which look great on the 42' LCD) Plus I don't have to worry about the weather screwing things up.
    08-19-08 01:20 PM
    We have DishNetwork and I hate it! The channel lineup sucks and it goes out when the wind blows. Thankgod we are getting FIOS next month.
    08-19-08 04:10 PM
    I have Dish Network and like it. I don't watch too much TV but when I do I want to watch HD. And I get enough HD channels to make me happy.

I would have FIOS if they had the NHL Center Ice package (Which is rumored to be coming soon).

I'm not a fan of DirecTv's boxes. Blah.

And if your dish goes out when the wind blows, its not Dish Network's fault. Your Dish is not pointed correctly to get the best signal, something is obstructing the line of sight, or you have a bad cable/LNB/Box.
    08-20-08 03:19 PM
    Wings is right. They need to come out and check your dish. Contrary to what some say, I lose my signal maybe three times a year - tops. I lost cable more than that. The HD dishes are even better.
    I had digital cable and it cost 30% more, customer service treated me like they were doing me a favor, and when I needed service it always took a few weeks or more for them to come out. I know I am jaded because I had a bad experience with Comcast, but I'll never go back.

08-20-08 04:06 PM
    cable for me plus i get it free because i work for comcast but even if i didnt i would still get cable too many rain storms here in florida to get satelite
    08-20-08 04:12 PM
    It all depends where you live I guess
    08-20-08 06:46 PM
    I guess that might be true, to be fair to cable. We don't get much rain in Colorado - but I didn't notice much loss of service in Illinois when visiting relatives there. I do think most of the people here talking about loss of signal don't actually have dish or direct tv.

08-20-08 07:18 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD