I'm curious. With the sheer volume of smartphones sold by Apple since 2007, did they 'really' get it wrong?

What I'm saying is, we talk about security often. And security is a cornerstone of BlackBerry's foundation. Yes, Apple has come under fire a few times. But, with MILLIONS of iPhone and iOS devices sold, did Apple really get it wrong?

I'm looking forward to some interesting conversation. Go...
    08-22-15 03:58 PM
    Apple has had an amazing run, fundamentally changing the mobile industry, and generating hundreds of billions in wealth for its shareholders.

If that's getting it wrong, I'd be very curious to see what doing it right would have looked like!

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
    jallister and MB64 like this.
    08-22-15 04:03 PM
    Who ever said they got it wrong?

It's just not my cup of tea.

MB64 likes this.
    08-22-15 04:22 PM
    It is possibly the title of the thread isn't the best. My question is did Apple get it wrong, in relation to security? And, if so, how is it millions of people buy said products? Are they not as concerned about security; thus, "Did Apple get it wrong...?"
    08-22-15 05:33 PM
    Whatever Apple has done wrong, they've done enough things right to clearly eclipse them.

So... sort of the opposite of BlackBerry's play.

Posted via CB10
    08-22-15 05:49 PM
    I cant say they did anything wrong at all. They never aimed to make the most secure device but they do have pretty good security. That was their mission and they have accomplished it very well. The security might not be good enough for the most secure government duties but a BB isnt out of the box either. Both phones are plenty for the average person, 99% of the time putting a password on the device is plenty. Many people dont even do that on their device even! Apple has the best all around device on the market that works fantastic for business and personal use with the best ecosystem in the world.
    MB64, jallister and anon(153966) like this.
    08-22-15 05:58 PM
    Thanks @Howarmat, for editing the title...
    08-22-15 06:04 PM
    The average person doesn't think about nor care about security... Just look at Ashley Madison. Thousands of adulterers, knowing that the risk of hacking and being exposed could mean their marriage, house, children, etc... Yet they logged in and used it anyway all because the frills they got out of it was worth the risk to them or because they simply believed it wouldn't (or couldnt) happen to them and it did. Look at Edward Snowden and the NSA. Millions of Americans still don't even realize what precisely went on as far as security nor do they even care. Apathy is strong in society as is the need for cheap distractions and pointless shiny things. Apple did nothing wrong, instead they did everything right by pandering to the mentality of the masses. They are a shining example of successful marketing and experts in creating a need and then filling it with their product line... BlackBerry could've benefited from getting a bit more experimental instead of sticking to their business face, but they chose to market what their niche wanted and needed while ignoring the wants of the masses. Marketing 101 fail as clearly displayed... Using the United States for example, when only half of us Americans work and the rest are in some degree of being unemployed, what can a BlackBerry do for those who's only daily inspiration comes from beating their Crossy Roads score or pairing up with their SmartTv? Their market research was clearly only conducted using present BlackBerry users and not venturing into the mainstream at all. Hence their market share. That's what it boils down to. Security is moot. Most of the populous has nothing secure as they post it all away on social networks near and far anyways. It matters greatly to some of us, but not to most of the people roaming around in the wild. Over-share is a way of life these days.

Posted via CB10
    anon(153966) likes this.
    08-22-15 06:07 PM
    Well, everyone has strengths and weaknesses in a world with limited time and resources.

Apple recognized what they had to be strong in, and what they could afford to devote less resources into (at least at first).

BlackBerry, in retrospect, ended up being pretty lousy at making those exact decisions. Who cares if you really did have the most secure and efficient OS, if in the end no one used and it had to be killed off.

Posted via CB10
    08-22-15 06:24 PM