And to think I was the only one with the capability to engage in this form of communication. The only times I have a little static and 'can you hear me now' moments are whenever that punk Professor X and/or Jean Grey) are in close proximity.

Jean Grey; if you're reading this...telepathy (no; not call) me up chica.

Lmao!!! Be careful. I have noticed that Professor Xavier can be quite the player hater. Once, I tried having a mental chat with Jean and he made me believe I was a 13 year old Albanian goat herder for 2 months.
    03-24-09 02:12 PM
    Lmao!!! Be careful. I have noticed that Professor Xavier can be quite the player hater. Once, I tried having a mental chat with Jean and he made me believe I was a 13 year old Albanian goat herder for 2 months.
    Haha. That rascal; Professor X...I can say 'ditto' to you; except in my case it was Burkina Faso and it was for four months. He kept the goat part the same with me too.

03-24-09 02:15 PM
    Haha. That rascal; Professor X...I can say 'ditto' to you; except in my case it was Burkina Faso and it was for four months. He kept the goat part the same with me too.

Herding goats must be the standard issued capital punishment in his parts. Freakin' mutants are weird. Lol
    03-24-09 02:23 PM

Also, to the OP that said she uses, "brb, asl, idk, omg, ect.;" don't get me wrong but it's part of the very same issue as the topic of this thread and many of you have an issue with. What makes one more acceptable than the other?

[/COLOR]
    I generally tend to use acronyms for short stints in conversations the difference being using commonly used acronyms/abbreviations used by anyone who's been familiarized with communication via electronic exchange and amoni's complete bastardization of every single word and sentence. My usage of abbreviations is common place and used for speed, personally I fail to see how anything in that her posts would be easily done and useful. That's just my opinion.

As a child my mother made me read books on end and allowed me very little time for TV and computers, making sure I understood what I was reading. I was raised in the south and though I was surrounded by it I never developed an accent or developed any speech mannerisms that were uneducated, all thanks to my mothers tireless efforts. I'm not a parent but I hope to do the same for my children. If the schools are powerless to help it my question becomes why aren't parents more concerned with their children's education? It simply amazes me that this can be such a prevalent issue.

I don't claim to be a perfect and I often make mistakes as others, and as claimed before, quiet frequently use abbreviations however I just refuse to believe that this should be acceptable.
    03-24-09 02:38 PM
    I generally tend to use acronyms for short stints in conversations the difference being using commonly used acronyms/abbreviations used by anyone who's been familiarized with communication via electronic exchange and amoni's complete bastardization of every single word and sentence. My usage of abbreviations is common place and used for speed, personally I fail to see how anything in that her posts would be easily done and useful. That's just my opinion.

As a child my mother made me read books on end and allowed me very little time for TV and computers, making sure I understood what I was reading. I was raised in the south and though I was surrounded by it I never developed an accent or developed any speech mannerisms that were uneducated, all thanks to my mothers tireless efforts. I'm not a parent but I hope to do the same for my children. If the schools are powerless to help it my question becomes why aren't parents more concerned with their children's education? It simply amazes me that this can be such a prevalent issue.

I don't claim to be a perfect and I often make mistakes as others, and as claimed before, quiet frequently use abbreviations however I just refuse to believe that this should be acceptable.
    I'm trying to understand the relationship between a southern accent and uneducated speech mannerisms � only because you stated that you developed neither, due to your mom's tireless efforts...as if both are negative.
    03-24-09 02:52 PM
    I'm trying to understand the relationship between a southern accent and uneducated speech mannerisms — only because you stated that you developed neither, due to your mom's tireless efforts...as if both are negative.
    Me too. Because I live "in the south" to some degree and don't ever want to give up my accent or speech mannerisms. I will never, ever stop saying yall. I just won't do it.
    03-24-09 03:24 PM
    Me too. Because I live "in the south" to some degree and don't ever want to give up my accent or speech mannerisms. I will never, ever stop saying yall. I just won't do it.
    I second that to the 923843823641935 power!
    03-24-09 03:33 PM
    If you think having a southern accent is associated with ignorance, try having a cajun accent any place other than where I live. I've learned to turn it off as much as I can when I need to, but it still comes through. I wouldn't trade it for the world, though. poo yie!
    03-24-09 09:36 PM
    Ok I should clarify this for everyone. I don't think an accent is a sign of a person who is uneducated, my point was that even when a child is immersed in a culture (say one that's over run with horrible grammar and horrific ways of writing) that with good parenting this can be overcome. I love the south born and raised there I have no problems with accents.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-24-09 09:47 PM
    I'm just about to enter a Master of Arts in Teaching program so I can be a Language Arts Teacher. Indeed a lack of respect for the United States' English Language has taken over. We should go back to koinea Greek.

03-24-09 11:10 PM
    I'm trying to understand the relationship between a southern accent and uneducated speech mannerisms � only because you stated that you developed neither, due to your mom's tireless efforts...as if both are negative.

I am from the south as well, and have been told that I have more of a drawl than other people around here. I always pay attention to how I am "verbally" coming across to others.

I have heard some southern accents that do sound slightly uneducated. The only reason the stereotype exists at all, is because everytime there is a tornado or flood further down south the reporters, (I think) always try to find the guy/girl with the wildest southern accent and a little slow on the uptake to interview. The world usually only sees these "rednecks" and assumes everyone down here is just like what they saw on tv.

I usually cringe when I see things like this and think to myself... self, that is why everyone around the world thinks anyone with a thick southern accent is automatically stupid.

I understand to an extent where the poster was coming from. I would never want to get rid of my southern accent because that is where I am from, but I would prefer it if more people didn't assume southern = stupid.

03-25-09 12:18 AM
    Ginya-San, I feel your pain; that thread title was atrocious. Yet, I do not think that should lead you to the conclusion that the English language has been destroyed. Furthermore, I feel people pay too much attention to the proper use of grammar on public forums such as Crackberry. For example, I have been in threads on CB where posters ripped a newbie, or a regular CB user, a new one for a dangling participle or a double negative. Yet, the question the newbie had was never answered. What purpose did that serve? Now, I am all for using the Queen's English, but it is never a good idea to carry it too far. And, indeed, some of the people on CB should at least try to convey their thoughts better with correct usage. Nevertheless, I am not their parents or their teachers, so I do not let it bother me. I am here for my love of BBs, not to give out English lessons to my fellow CB members.
    Last edited by Crackberrykills; 03-26-09 at 09:20 PM.
    03-26-09 09:18 PM
    Ginya-San, I feel your pain; that thread title was atrocious. Yet, I do not think that should lead you to the conclusion that the English language has been destroyed. Furthermore, I feel people pay too much attention to the proper use of grammar on public forums such as Crackberry. For example, I have been in threads on CB where posters ripped a newbie, or a regular CB user, a new one for a dangling participle or a double negative. Yet, the question the newbie had was never answered. What purpose did that serve? Now, I am all for using the Queen's English, but it is never a good idea to carry it too far. And, indeed, some of the people on CB should at least try to convey their thoughts better with correct usage. Nevertheless, I am not their parents or their teachers, so I do not let it bother me. I am here for my love of BBs, not to give out English lessons to my fellow CB members.
    I completely agree CBK...and calling out another CB member (the link to the thread), to point out their atrocious english seems a tad bit...elitist and condescending, and does nothing to promote peace on CB, and good will towards all men/women...even those who may not have the best communication skills.

Ginya-San, let's talk about the issue, and leave specific individuals alone. Also, being able to communicate effectively involves choosing your words carefully, not just making sure your grammar is tight. So you get no points for saying the wrong thing, the right way.
    Last edited by Tlynnsmith; 03-26-09 at 09:37 PM.
    03-26-09 09:31 PM
    I completely agree CBK...and calling out another CB member (the link to the thread), to point out their atrocious english seems a tad bit...elitist and condescending, and does nothing to promote peace on CB, and good will towards all men/women...even those who may not have the best communication skills.

Ginya-San, let's talk about the issue, and leave specific individuals alone. Also, being able to communicate effectively involves choosing your words carefully, not just making sure your grammar is tight. So you get no points for saying the wrong thing, the right way.
    well said.

i do believe that a pet peeve is a pet peeve though.. i only have a few words that really burn my biscuits. its the words, that spelled incorrectly are the same amount of letters as spelled correctly. to me that is ignorance, especially when its people that know better.
    03-29-09 04:00 AM
    well said.

i do believe that a pet peeve is a pet peeve though.. i only have a few words that really burn my biscuits. its the words, that spelled incorrectly are the same amount of letters as spelled correctly. to me that is ignorance, especially when its people that know better.
    I'm sorry, but I found that quite amusing!
    03-29-09 06:20 AM
    I think that texting abbreviations are fine for the most part, but only if a person is actually texting on a standard cell phone. When someone is using a phone (like a BlackBerry) with a full qwerty keyboard then it is just being lazy. If you have use of all the letters in the English language then go ahead and use them. I have always found it greatly annoying to try and read something that someone has gone to the trouble writing, be it a question or an answer, when it is full of abbreviations. Off-topic goofing off aside, the use of regular (not even proper) English is just polite. I have reached the point that I don't even bother reading those childish broken text threads anymore.

@ Tlynnsmith, tempo_kid92 & thinkamp

Sorry if you find this upsetting, but southern "redneck" accents do sound incredibly ignorant. You cannot honestly tell me that any of you could hear Larry the Cable guy speak and you would suddenly think rocket scientist. That whole group of comedians even have a series of jokes about how stupid southern people sound sometimes. It really is not something to get overly worked up about or take offense over. If you have a southern accent and you are not an ignorant human being (you all have BlackBerries so how could you be ) then there is no reason to be upset. By the way, (or BTW for the kids) a southern accent and a southern drawl are two different things. If your accent makes you sound like a southern belle or gentleman then you come across as classy and not ignorant. Just the way of the world, I guess. Just for the record, I am a born and raised Georgia boy myself .
    03-30-09 10:10 AM
    @ Tlynnsmith, tempo_kid92 & thinkamp

Sorry if you find this upsetting, but southern "redneck" accents do sound incredibly ignorant. You cannot honestly tell me that any of you could hear Larry the Cable guy speak and you would suddenly think rocket scientist. That whole group of comedians even have a series of jokes about how stupid southern people sound sometimes. It really is not something to get overly worked up about or take offense over. If you have a southern accent and you are not an ignorant human being (you all have BlackBerries so how could you be ) then there is no reason to be upset. By the way, (or BTW for the kids) a southern accent and a southern drawl are two different things. If your accent makes you sound like a southern belle or gentleman then you come across as classy and not ignorant. Just the way of the world, I guess. Just for the record, I am a born and raised Georgia boy myself .
    The stereotype attached to the 'southern accent/drawl' isn't any different from stereotypes attached to anything else in life...they're simply just that; stereotypes.

My boss sounds like Col. Sanders but is one of the most intelligent and accomplished persons I know. I can give examples of numerous persons as such.

Aside from the 'initial impression' some with a southern accent/drawl may give to those who subscribe to the stereotypes attached to it...all of that gets thrown out the window when you realize the intelligence that someone with such an accent may have. Of course if you meet an ***** (i d i o t is censored? Wow.) with such an accent; it's only going to re-enforce stereotypes.

When I moved from the mid-west to the south; it took quite a bit of time for me to stop having to ask people to repeat themselves whenever they'd talk...that's how difficult it was for me to grasp what people would say in their southern accents. I've gotten acclimated to the accent now.
    Last edited by Fence; 03-30-09 at 10:56 AM.
    03-30-09 10:53 AM
    Why would it upset me? Truth be told, I don't think "rocket scientist", when too many folks speak, southern accent or not.

Secondly, I didn't get "overly worked up". I don't think it's accurate to state that all who speak with southern accents sound "stupid". Plus, if you have enough balls to say something like that, then be ready for folks who speak with southern accents to take offense. That's not the conclusion of a rocket scientist, nor do I personally speak with a southern accent.

I guess I get tired of folks just saying stuff, without possibly considering how it may come across, in a community with such a diverse crowd of folk.

***Update*** I understand the difference between a "redneck" accent, and a basic "southern drawl". However, the difference wasn't noted, in the OPs statement. She clarified what she meant to say.
    Last edited by Tlynnsmith; 03-30-09 at 11:33 AM.
    03-30-09 11:08 AM
    Why would it upset me? Truth be told, I don't think "rocket scientist", when too many folks speak, southern accent or not.

Secondly, I didn't get "overly worked up". I don't think it's accurate to state that all who speak with southern accents sound "stupid". Plus, if you have enough balls to say something like that, then be ready for folks who speak with southern accents to take offense. That's not the conclusion of a rocket scientist, nor do I personally speak with a southern accent.

I guess I get tired of folks just saying stuff, without possibly considering how it may come across, in a community with such a diverse crowd of folk.
    I actually never said that all people that speak with a southern accent sound "stupid". I said that people with a full on "redneck" accent do actually sound rather ignorant, this includes the words they use and their manner of speaking. I'm not questioning anyone in particulars intelligence. I am just pointing out that the true "lazy tongue" southern accent used in parts of the south make people sound less than intelligent in comparison to many other accents around the world. As Fence stated it is a stereotype, but then again stereotypes do have some basis in reality. It is the reason that many of them are stereotypes to begin with.

I am also quite aware of how things will come across when I say them and am aware that some may take offense. I am not here to please everyone all of the time and I never intend on trying. Sorry, if it isn't politically correct enough for some people, but I am not really a PC person. I am willing to speak my mind and take the consequences for what comes out of my mouth (or fingers as the case may be).

On a side note, just because I included you in part of my "reply" does not really mean that every word and/or letter were directed entirely at you. Ginya-san made a comment and a few people jumped on her for it. So I included those that did the jumping in chronological order.
    03-30-09 11:36 AM

Posting a link to a thread was a point of reference as stated, had I merely asked the question people may not have understood exactly what I meant. I'm not referring to commonly used acronyms but the growing trend of the type of spelling/communication used in her thread.

Elitist and condescending? If another person is willingly flaunting their ignorance I do believe I have the right to discuss it using its present form, I make no apologies for myself. I think this is absolutely atrocious. However I am not attacking her I'm using her as an example, I'm not flaming her, I am not going out of my way to follow her and troll her and I am not a grammar Nazi. I let others speak as they will, but I found that the growing number of people who use this form of communication to be a bit alarming. So I created a discussion to see if others felt the same. If you don't think so, feel free to disagree.

I was not simply attacking the grammar used but the desecration of words as well. No points for what's being said when you need a decoder for what's being said. We were discussing the issue and not the user until you decided that I was persecuting her. How is attacking me for using an example a form of good will and peace exactly?

Oh and to Crackberrykills her question was answered several times I believe. Having a pearl does count as having a blackberry. I even stated so myself seeing as I have one, It was not just the title either unfortunately it would seem she removed her thread after realizing how she was coming across.
    03-30-09 11:42 AM
    Posting a link to a thread was a point of reference as stated, had I merely asked the question people may not have understood exactly what I meant. I'm not referring to commonly used acronyms but the growing trend of the type of spelling/communication used in her thread.

Elitist and condescending? If another person is willingly flaunting their ignorance I do believe I have the right to discuss it using its present form, I make no apologies for myself. I think this is absolutely atrocious. However I am not attacking her I'm using her as an example, I'm not flaming her, I am not going out of my way to follow her and troll her and I am not a grammar Nazi. I let others speak as they will, but I found that the growing number of people who use this form of communication to be a bit alarming. So I created a discussion to see if others felt the same. If you don't think so, feel free to disagree.

I was not simply attacking the grammar used but the desecration of words as well. No points for what's being said when you need a decoder for what's being said. We were discussing the issue and not the user until you decided that I was persecuting her. How is attacking me for using an example a form of good will and peace exactly?

Oh and to Crackberrykills her question was answered several times I believe. Having a pearl does count as having a blackberry. I even stated so myself seeing as I have one, It was not just the title either unfortunately it would seem she removed her thread after realizing how she was coming across.

I didn't attack you. I said address the issue at hand, and not point a finger at an individual, with no regard to how that person may feel. What if she had seen this thread? Perhaps that didn't matter to you, but it would have mattered to me.

It's fine to talk about whatever, but I thought it was quite careless to make her an "example" of what you could have easily communicated, without doing so. That's my point.
    03-30-09 11:48 AM
    I actually never said that all people that speak with a southern accent sound "stupid". I said that people with a full on "redneck" accent do actually sound rather ignorant, this includes the words they use and their manner of speaking. I'm not questioning anyone in particulars intelligence. I am just pointing out that the true "lazy tongue" southern accent used in parts of the south make people sound less than intelligent in comparison to many other accents around the world. As Fence stated it is a stereotype, but then again stereotypes do have some basis in reality. It is the reason that many of them are stereotypes to begin with.

I am also quite aware of how things will come across when I say them and am aware that some may take offense. I am not here to please everyone all of the time and I never intend on trying. Sorry, if it isn't politically correct enough for some people, but I am not really a PC person. I am willing to speak my mind and take the consequences for what comes out of my mouth (or fingers as the case may be).

On a side note, just because I included you in part of my "reply" does not really mean that every word and/or letter were directed entirely at you. Ginya-san made a comment and a few people jumped on her for it. So I included those that did the jumping in chronological order.
    No, I'm not saying that you shouldn't say what you wanna say. But, I said be prepared for folks to take offense. No need to be politically correct.

Also, my statement about "having balls" wasn't directed towards you, it was actually directed towards "Ginya-san". The implication from her original statement, was that something was "negative" about a southern accent. There was no clarification as to what "type" of southern accent she meant. A few others weren't clear on that either, as witnessed by the replies. I asked for an association between two terms.

She came back and clarified.

Finally, what I took issue with, was the "calling out" of another member, instead of just stating the case: The english language has been butchered and we need to tighten up. Taking the time to post a direct link, to an unsuspecting member's thread, to point that out seemed a little overboard. I stated that. So, when you said I was "worked up", over the southern accent issue, that's not even what got me "worked up".
    03-30-09 11:56 AM
    Dohnt chu peepl hav beta thangz 2 doo thahn 2 worie aboot howe sum1 spelz??

By the way, I did that to pi$$ people off! Get over it! We have greater things to worry about in this world than someones spelling!

03-30-09 11:57 AM
    Tlynn...your problem in this discussion is that you're too fervent about trying to make your 'point' and wanting to get the last word in per se.

There's nothing wrong with wanting to make a point...but not when you're typing on emotion(s) rendering your point...pointless.

03-30-09 11:59 AM
    Tlynn...your problem in this discussion is that you're too fervent about trying to make your 'point' and wanting to get the last word in per se.

There's nothing wrong with wanting to make a point...but not when you're typing on emotion(s) rendering your point...pointless.

Okay. Thanks!
    03-30-09 12:01 PM
57 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD