I have a friend that put a deposit on a new car that he was going to get and then he didn't end up getting it and the dealer is refusing to give him his deposit back. From what I understand, isn't the dealer obligated to give him his deposit back if he did not purchase the car?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-20-08 12:32 AM
    I would think, unless he signed something stating he wouldnt get it back. Call the bank and tell them to not cash the check... and then they shouldnt!
    06-20-08 01:44 AM
    Did he use the car at all, like take it home for a few days?
    06-20-08 06:29 AM
    Stop the check. Now.
    06-20-08 12:20 PM
    I had something like this happen to me a few years back. I threaded to speak to the police and an attorney and he gave it back.

06-20-08 06:25 PM
    I have a friend that put a deposit on a new car that he was going to get and then he didn't end up getting it and the dealer is refusing to give him his deposit back. From what I understand, isn't the dealer obligated to give him his deposit back if he did not purchase the car?

Yes Sir! As long as your friend didnt sign a contract.
    06-20-08 06:34 PM
    Was there a time limitation? If not depending on state law I would think it's illegal.

06-20-08 06:34 PM
    if theyre being dicks about giving it back, you could be a **** back to them. Call the bank and say someone stole your check book. They go to cash a "stolen check" and then they look like asses :-D
    06-20-08 08:23 PM
    what car company is this?
    06-21-08 11:09 AM
    What car is this? Usually a good dealership will not hesitate to give you back your deposit, but they might try to pressure you into another ride to keep a sale.

But it's different for all dealers.

Was it a special order or just a deposit to get first dibs on the car when it comes in?

06-22-08 05:15 AM
    A lot of places have a law that allows for a full refund of any purchase within 30 days. Here they have a formula that applies if the product got used.

06-22-08 05:26 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD