I'm interested in how many of you are running other forms of heroic failure frankly defunct technology.

For my part the list is:

- minidiscs (I have 4 or 5 units including a stereo stacker box and the frankly astonishing MZ RH1). I still think the atrac format kicks MP3 arse

- cassettes (many are degrading, I've ripped as many as I can into MP3 but I still love popping one in and waiting for the hiss)

- 70s music centre - I have a 1978 Sharp I got in a jumble sale for 50p, turntable and now cassette deck knackered but still usable with a pin din to 3.5" aux cable (the slider controls and red 'stereo' tuning light give particular joy- one day I will do it up)

- 1951 MG TD - the wife's, my feet are too big to control it fully but it definitely counts as out of date tech.

Posted via CB10
    11-24-17 11:53 AM
    I still listen to my Panasonic Shockwave portable CD player. The sound is still superior to any phone I've heard (including my wife's iPhone), but the size is annoying.

We have a rotary dial phone too. It works with the Grandstream HT502 ATA for VOIP, so I suppose it qualifies as 'resurrected defunct'. I have confess, though, that I rarely dial out: 10-digit numbers take forever.
    11-24-17 12:10 PM
    I've retired our rotary phone due to massive hiss. You can get over dial lag by tapping the digits out on the black tabs the handset sits on. However calling an ambulance in the UK is faffy on it.

Posted via CB10
    11-24-17 12:20 PM
    (Moved to Off-Topic forum, since this has nothing to do with the Passport)
    anon(8063781) likes this.
    11-24-17 01:12 PM
    tapping the digits out on the black tabs the handset sits on.
    This was the method for making free calls from a payphone in Canada back in the day!
    Jon Wiggy likes this.
    11-24-17 02:12 PM
    still got sony walkman with tape. CRT TV (Panasonic, same spec as sony). Plam Zire PDA with wifi insert and 128 memory card. slide ruler dated in occurpied Japan. optical microscope made by Sears. etc.etc. and 1st gen of IBM 4Mb memory SIMM chip for my key chain - early 1990 (non functional now, the solder joints start to fall off, I have to pot it in epoxy to keep it in place). Ha, I am sure few magnetic discs some place in my room and may be AOL starting CD too ;-) yap, i am a pack rat.
    Jon Wiggy likes this.
    11-24-17 04:14 PM
    still got sony walkman with tape. CRT TV (Panasonic, same spec as sony). Plam Zire PDA with wifi insert and 128 memory card. slide ruler dated in occurpied Japan. optical microscope made by Sears. etc.etc. and 1st gen of IBM 4Mb memory SIMM chip for my key chain - early 1990 (non functional now, the solder joints start to fall off, I have to pot it in epoxy to keep it in place). Ha, I am sure few magnetic discs some place in my room and may be AOL starting CD too ;-) yap, i am a pack rat.
    The Zire is another example of resurrected tech. There's a company called Aceeca that made a 64-bit Win 10 compatible driver for it. It's free to download. So you can still load up Palm Desktop and hotsync to your heart's content!
    11-24-17 06:24 PM
    Many thanks for the desk top info of Palm. I still have original Palm desk top from Palm source inc. running on iMac G4 motorola processor. no issue at all (the battery is a bit hard to hold charge, otherwise, run as smooth as butter).
    anon(8063781) likes this.
    11-24-17 06:46 PM
    I have a 1953 Royal Quiet Deluxe typewriter, bought new in that same year by my great-grandfather and handed down to me.

 BlackBerry | CLASSIC
    glwerry and duncan86 like this.
    11-24-17 09:59 PM
    I have a blackberry!!

Posted via CB10
    11-25-17 04:08 AM
    The Blackberry Passport is infinitely superior to all modern technology - that's why it doesn't need app support, security updates, or even an OS which retains a development team. That's how awesome it is. In 20 years, when everyone else has a neural lace and communicates using the cellular hive mind, I will still be using a Passport - and it will still be better than all current technology.

Never mind that it will no longer interoperate with modern networks at all and will require me to pull around a trailer with a 4g to 25g signal relay.

Never mind that no website at all will load on it anymore because the security certificates are over 20 years old.

Never mind that due to advances in technology and security, anyone walking past can simply look past my device's completely ineffective security with their built in radio implant and read all my most private data.

No, never mind any of that. Blackberry Passport is state of the art, and it always will be. Period.

Posted via CB10
    Jon Wiggy likes this.
    11-25-17 12:21 PM
    The Blackberry Passport is infinitely superior to all modern technology - that's why it doesn't need app support, security updates, or even an OS which retains a development team. That's how awesome it is. In 20 years, when everyone else has a neural lace and communicates using the cellular hive mind, I will still be using a Passport - and it will still be better than all current technology.

Never mind that it will no longer interoperate with modern networks at all and will require me to pull around a trailer with a 4g to 25g signal relay.

Never mind that no website at all will load on it anymore because the security certificates are over 20 years old.

Never mind that due to advances in technology and security, anyone walking past can simply look past my device's completely ineffective security with their built in radio implant and read all my most private data.

No, never mind any of that. Blackberry Passport is state of the art, and it always will be. Period.

Posted via CB10
    Username checks out.
    anon(2313227) likes this.
    11-25-17 05:19 PM
    I have a 1953 Royal Quiet Deluxe typewriter, bought new in that same year by my great-grandfather and handed down to me.

 BlackBerry | CLASSIC
    It has a better, modern up to date OS compared with many others today..

Plus , it sounds cool
    duncan86 likes this.
    11-25-17 05:29 PM
    It has a better, modern up to date OS compared with many others today..

Plus , it sounds cool
    The battery life is insane.

 BlackBerry | CLASSIC
    11-25-17 07:01 PM
    The battery life is insane.

 BlackBerry | CLASSIC
    The OS is actually crazy energy consuming. Costs at least $400 a month to keep going. Sad.
    11-25-17 07:43 PM

Posted via CB10
    Brilliant and hilarious!

Posted via CB10
    11-26-17 09:11 AM
    great stuff goes to seed via mismanagement... look at what happened to palm thence webOS which was a highly evolved ecosystem now found in TVs & such... a shame despite being released open source... bb10 OS would likely elicit little response were it open source because developers follow the crowd... can You blame them for trying to eek out a 99¢ each living from the widest audience?
    11-26-17 11:57 AM
    This doesn’t really belong in the PP Forum, better in general discussion.
    11-29-17 08:41 PM
    This doesn’t really belong in the PP Forum, better in general discussion.
    It says defunct technology....... LOL ;-)
    11-29-17 08:52 PM
    Mees?
    12-05-17 02:37 PM
    CDR and CDRW are all defunct now too... and they degrade as well.
    anon(8063781) and duncan86 like this.
    12-05-17 02:43 PM
    I've the BlackBerry Cyclone "Apple TV" replacement. Love it, even though it's unfinished... :-D

•   Replacement Passport - New Phone feeling ... ;-))   •
    12-08-17 04:11 AM
    If you have an M-Disc capable CDR/W drive, you can burn to M-DISCS which, if their marketing can be trusted, never degrade:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M-DISC

as the laser burns into an inorganic layer instead of organic dye.
    12-14-17 06:32 PM
    Nice.. Too bad I haven't touch a discount in yrs.. Still have 25 blu ray discuss sitting somewhere.
    12-14-17 06:35 PM
    They are still good if you live in an area with cyclones, hurricanes and typhoons. They can get wet. Your SSDs and USB hard disks can't. And being blow around or dropped doesn't hurt them that much either ...

Many family photos thought lost survived on optical media due to their survivability... :-)))

•   Replacement Passport - New Phone feeling ... ;-))   •
    duncan86 likes this.
    12-14-17 08:20 PM
26 12