100! That is amazing! I am a little jealous. Lol . I have seen 1 elk in my life. It was an incredible animal. I felt so lucky just to see one. It was a huge 6x6. I will never forget the sound it made when it bugled. Elk are not native to Virginia. It probably migrated from Kentucky. Good luck to you and your mare

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Something about a female that hunts, simply intrigues me! My 11 y.o. daughter wants to bow hunt this year...but getting her set up is expensive. Well do a little at a time...she fishes and helps her brother skin raccoons and other things he traps. She kindava redneck tomboy...and a straight A student to boot!

Go get em girl!
    09-19-08 11:02 AM
    And i had another sighting in our pasture this morning...2 bucks and a different smaller doe with an older fawn. One of the bucks was MASSIVE! It must have been the one my son had been telling me about. I'll bet he was close to 300 pounds standing and AT LEAST an 8 point rack, if not 10. And a big ol' thick neck on him too!!
    09-19-08 11:06 AM
    Thanks exelant! Your daughter sounds like a wonderful kid. Me and my brothers did the same things when we were growing up. Lol. Your mare is beautiful. I used to have a gelding that looked like her. His name was Trigger. He was tough as nails. I miss him. I hope you post a picture if you get an elk this year. Good luck and good hunting.

09-19-08 09:39 PM
    There's a big difference between venison and elk meat (is there a name for it other than elk?). I've had some commercially grown elk, but I'm sure it's not the same as wild. Just take lots of pics when you go...I'm jealous!

09-19-08 10:09 PM
    It doesn't have that wild taste -- although I know your corn fed deer taste a lot different (better) than ours. We just call it elk meat. What I like is the texture, I think it's like a good NY strip steak.

A good challenge for the bow hunters is our pronghorn antelope. They are plains animals, so you have to stalk them -- and get permission (pay) to get on the land. And if you aren't quick, they'll be gone. They run like the wind on steroids, haha. I have never hunted them -- I hear the meat is not so good.

Thanks Cain! Pokie is a good horse, not bitchy like a lot of mares, ha-ha. You are talking about Woodies girl, though. I do have an eleven (almost 12) year old, too. Mine isn't interested in hunting, but my Emma is good with a shotgun. We go to the sporting clays club a couple times a month.

09-19-08 11:05 PM
    Sorry guys. I didn't mean to get you mixed up. I can be a big dork sometimes. Lol.

09-19-08 11:10 PM
    i would love to try deer hunting but i live in miami
    09-19-08 11:26 PM
    No problem Cain : )

There are ways tracks, unfortunatly they aren't cheap for you. The easiest way if you don't have family or friends who hunt to help you learn the sport, you can save up and do a guided hunt. One thing you can do to prepare is get a hunter's safety card. Your state's division of wildlife can tell you where to go for the classes

09-20-08 12:16 AM
    All it takes is $1500/week and the guy across the road from us will take care of you.

And elk is darker too...almost a rich burgandy color. You can keep those pighorns, they remind me of goats. Besides I'm not that great of a hunter, I would need an AK-47 for them critters! Actually, that might be the answer to my mole problem out in the yard.

Cain, I thought you might have gotten us mixed up but there are so few and rare times that "excellent" is used in the same sentence, while I'm being addressed...that I just let it slide.

09-20-08 05:45 AM
    I like blackeyed peas too Woody.

09-20-08 06:22 AM
    I like blackeyed peas too Woody.
    The jalapeno flavored ones are the BEST! They're not hot, but those peppers give em a tangy flavor. I've tried & tried to duplicate them to no avail...Trappey's brand is the ONLY way to go! Two thumbs up!!!

09-20-08 07:48 AM
    Aggghhhhh YOU killed Bambi's MUM!!!!!!!!
    09-21-08 05:03 AM
    Bambi was writen in the 30s or 40s. We killed Bambi's GGGGGGGrandmum.

09-21-08 05:28 AM
    Every year, our neighbor hosts a Youth & Handicap hunt. This is most for HC kids, but also allows other kids to hunt, which don't normally have a chance. It's usually a fairly big deal with people from all corners of the state.

It will be held again this weekend. My 15 yo son & I help out with this every year and we love it. Watching these kids in wheelchairs, walking aids, etc...to get their first deer is awesome. One year we had a guy shoot his first deer ever. He was in his 40's and totally BLIND from birth. He had an awesome guide with him that talked him through the entire shot.

Anyway...I'm gonna try to post some pics later.

09-25-08 10:22 AM
    Uh, I'd love to help a blind person hunt, from behind. JK, sounds like a great event to help people who usually don't have a chance learn about the outdoors.

Maybe setting up a sporting clays course and letting some of the more squeamish kids shoot clay pigeons for prizes would be fun. It would let them get involved with firearms in a non-threatening environment. Just thinking.

Last edited by exelant; 09-26-08 at 01:47 PM.
    09-25-08 01:46 PM
    LOL...too funny!

Actually, none of these kids have been squeamish at all. They've all gone thru hunter safety training and know how is feels to discharge a gun.

The local DNR Officer also gets involved with the event, as well as parents...the best part is watching the kids have a good time. Most live in a larger city/town and it's just nice for them to get out here in the country and have a good time, the hunt is just part of the whole event.

I might have to get permission to post their pics here...I'll see what I can do, but I'll get some kind of pics to post here.

When do you trailer up that mare?

09-26-08 07:15 AM
    Novenber 1st -- I hope the weather and everything works out! Hey Woody, here's a pic of the old girl -- its a bit dark, I'll look for a better one. She is the mom to our two althletes. I'm sure the kids aren't squeemish. My kids got more interested in shooting when I started taking them to the club for some sporting clay rounds with old Dad.

Last edited by exelant; 09-26-08 at 01:46 PM.
    09-26-08 01:44 PM
    Just recently BBQ'd some Deer Tenderloin here at home. With... Portabello Mushrooms, Homegrown Zuchinni, homegrown potatoes with Safron.

Found these steaks much yummier than when we did the roast tenderloin.

09-26-08 01:55 PM
    That ain't even close to being fair!! LOL!

It's almost 4am and we're gonna head over to the ranch and get everybody something to eat and ready to go!!

Today is the first day of the hunt...I'll try to post some pics before too long! It's beautiful weather, but no snow...clear/80's.

09-27-08 03:43 AM
    BTW, my wife cooks zuccini on the grill too...cuts in half, brushes with olive oil, salt & pepper...that's it! We love it!

09-27-08 03:48 AM
    BTW, my wife cooks zuccini on the grill too...cuts in half, brushes with olive oil, salt & pepper...that's it! We love it!

Sorry I don't have any "before" pictures...
    09-27-08 10:53 AM
    Hey! I sent a bunch of pics to Photobucket, so I could post them here...but I did something wrong...never got my confirmation.

But here's a URL to a local TV show that has been out with us for the past couple days or so...some of the photos on their site are from just 2 hours ago. They give a bit more info about the hunting program.

In Your Back Yard Iowa - Iowa's Ultimate Outdoor Experience - Featured Story

09-27-08 01:39 PM
    i would love to try deer hunting but i live in miami
    If you can get me a gator...I can get you a deer!

09-27-08 01:42 PM
    Here is the group photo from this morning...unfortunately nobody was able to get a clear shot, most said they saw a few deer.

They're hoping for better luck this afternoon.

09-27-08 02:04 PM
    Deer / Hog hunt every chance I get. High Cotton Hunting Club in Georgia and Twin Fork HC in Estill S.C.

Can't draw a bow anymore due to a motorcycle accident so I get to use a crossbow (Barnett Quad AVI) that I'm still getting use to. Also hunt with a Browning X-Bolt "Hunter" 7mm and a Browning Citori 625 shotgun. Gotta love that Browning!
    09-27-08 07:09 PM
75 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD