How many of you ladies & gents are going deer hunting this season?

If so, will you take your BB with you for pics/videos of your harvest?

What method do you use...HP rifle, shotgun, muzzleloader, bow, or the wife's minivan?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-06-08 07:48 AM
    I have not hunted for deer the last couple of years but will go out on my land and take pictures/videos a couple of times. I hope you get lots of responses and pictures. I still have all of my equipment (Mathews Bow, TC Muzzleloaders, Guns) and will hunt again. Current schedule does not allow due to business start up, helping grandson in Boy Scouts, and maintaining home and cottage. We have too many deer in my county in Upstate New York so I hope the hunters are successful. I expect you will get a response or two from the "Anti's" you know the folks that wear leather shoes, drive BMW's with leather seats yet do not know that leather comes from dead animals

Good Luck be Safe
    09-06-08 08:42 AM
    LOL...yeah they just can't leave us alone for some reason, but they're welcome too! Maybe they'll learn something here...education is key!

And we have WAY too many deer in Iowa too. I don't hunt for buck's because I hunt for meat and would rather let that rack go to someone else who wants it. There are just to many doe's out there that need to be thinned out.

My boy is typical...knows where all the buck trails are...but I just say that I want the MEAT, not the MOUNT!

I'll drop the girls everytime as a part of my responsibilty, as a hunter, to help manage deer populations...besides the meat of a doe just tastes better to me.
    Last edited by w00dy65; 09-06-08 at 09:29 AM.
    09-06-08 09:04 AM
    I'll be going out next month. Haven't deer hunted for 2 years. It's been 4 years for bow. Bought a new one this year, so I'm going to give it a try. I'll be going out with muzzle loader also.
    I haven't seen many yet but they have a lot of corn to hide in.
    Good luck and have fun.

09-06-08 09:26 AM
    We have them all around our place.

We're right across the road from a huge QDM Reserve (QDM=Quality Deer Management) and we're also surrounded by cornfields...it's really nice to sit on the deck in the evenings and watch em walking the edges of the corn.
    09-06-08 09:36 AM
    I will definitely post some pics. I too hunt for the meat and not the mount, however i'm not about to pass up on a monster rack. Had to let the biggest doe i've ever seen go last year due to the little one she had with her, but there's always next season!
    09-06-08 09:37 AM
    I do the triple every year, bow, gun, and muzzleloader. For bow I use a Monster Bows Phoenix, Gun a Remington 11-87 and a T/C Omega for muzzleloading. I'll probably take it salmon fishing in a month but standing waist deep in the river all night might not be good for the Berry.
    09-06-08 10:36 AM
    Don't forget a double zip lock baggie for the berry!

How do you like the Omega? I use a cheap old CVA Wolf that does OK. My boy uses a Knight, that I don't really like the feel of...but it sure is more accurate w/tighter patterns.

09-06-08 11:51 AM
    Sept 1st was opening day here in wyoming, 2 days of hard hunting, and I missed my shot by inches! That is what happens when you forget the range finder!

I had a week off for my hunt, but was quickly turned off by 2 "hunters", that think the correct way to hunt is by driving the roads, drunk, waiting for deer to cross their path, after I ran in to them, I packed my stuff and came home.

Wednesday I will head back out, and hopefully have some pictures! I'm shooting a PSE fire flight.

09-06-08 12:23 PM
    Opens the 27th here. Ill take the berry to keep me from getting bored in the tree. I hunt bow, muzzleloader, and gun! Heck if they had a rock season I'd be out there throwing rocks at em! Lol

09-06-08 03:07 PM
    I hunt bow, muzzleloader, and gun! Heck if they had a rock season I'd be out there throwing rocks at em! Lol

You actually made laugh out loud!
    09-06-08 03:25 PM
    I'll be hunting with a Blackberry for the first time this year..

I'm a little nervious. I've always had a flip phone, and my jacket actually has a phone pocket in it ( at least it's the right size, and easy accessable ). My curve is definately going to have to go into a larger and deeper pocket.

Regardless, I cannot wait for WI opening day.
    09-15-08 01:11 AM
    We have deer and elk at our pond most days. Lately we've even had pronhorn in our pasture. Been spending a lot of time at a friends hoping this lion will come back. No luck yet.

09-15-08 02:23 AM
    I've never hunted elk...that would be massive.

I wonder if there's some way to bait that cougar? They're usually very elusive and stay out of sight. But if it's killing livestock it may be sick or something and more daring to expose herself from her cover...to check out the bait.

If I was on private land, looking to eradicate a nuisance predator like that, I might try tethering a live chicken to a stake in the ground all night and wait. But that's probablly illegal...but like I said. If it's mauling livestock, that cat needs to be dispatched and fast...before it attacks some kid. It's obviously getting too close to humans already!

Good luck and let us know what happens?!?

09-15-08 07:11 AM
    I did a google search on "trapping cougars" and came up with many different hits...here's just one.

Ripple Outdoors Podcast � Have you seen a Cougar in your back yard?

09-15-08 07:30 AM
    BAMBI KILLERS!

just wanted to get that out of the way before some PETA pussies come in and crap on this thread.
    09-15-08 07:30 AM
    I've had the itch since season ended last year. I can't wait to be up at dark walking to the stand and get this buck I've been after for the past two years. He's a monster 8 point and probably weighs a good 300 or so. MMMM he's going to look good and my wall
    09-15-08 07:37 AM
    Thanks Woody. The cat mauled a horse so bad he had to be put down, it then killed a sheep. We got the go ahead from DOW to take it if we can. We are thinking the cat will come back for an easy meal -- sheep, not horse, haha. It is rare a cat will mess with a healthy horse. We had one at my place stalking deer last winter.

My wife got me up in the middle of the night because our mare was making a racket. She drove our truck into the pasture and I followed on foot. She stopped the truck, and when I got to the window, she pointed. There was a huge cat in the headlights -- at least it seemed huge with me unarmed and outside the truck.

Anyway, we set up motion detector lights by the sheep pen and we're taking turns watching out for him. There is a school bus stop near there and lots of horses and livestock. We'll get him if he comes back -- but you're right, they are elusive. I had a thread about the horse.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f36/mou...d-horse-69811/

PS Elk is about the best game meat I have ever eaten, and one will feed your family as long as a cow, Woody. You owe it to yourself to save up and give it a try at least once. Like everywhere, Colorado has large populations of deer and elk to be culled. We always set aside a bunch of tags for out of staters. I just wish I could keep them out of the alfalfa, ha-ha.

09-15-08 09:49 AM
    I just watched a nice younger buck chasing a big doe thru our pasture...she had 2 babies with her. Everytime she moved, he was right along side her...albeit about 100 yards apart.

The rut is ON in Iowa!!!!

09-18-08 07:59 PM
    Be sure to post your BB pics folks. I look forward to your stories.

09-18-08 08:21 PM
    Count me in! Bow season opens in October in Va. I can't wait!

09-18-08 08:23 PM
    I've got a hundred Elk within a couple miles from my place. I drew an area near the Flat Tops Wilderness -- a 150 miles away. My mare is going to get a workout this year.

09-18-08 08:30 PM
    100! That is amazing! I am a little jealous. Lol . I have seen 1 elk in my life. It was an incredible animal. I felt so lucky just to see one. It was a huge 6x6. I will never forget the sound it made when it bugled. Elk are not native to Virginia. It probably migrated from Kentucky. Good luck to you and your mare

09-18-08 08:58 PM
    I've got a hundred Elk within a couple miles from my place. I drew an area near the Flat Tops Wilderness -- a 150 miles away. My mare is going to get a workout this year.
    Drew? Are you guys on a lottery type system? That's a bummer that you have to go so far away, especially when they're right in your backyard.
    What kind of mare do you have? Sounds like you need a Jenny?

09-19-08 03:05 AM
    I kind of like those stubborn old animals! A friend of ours actually shows her Mule, they do everything the horses do. The shows are a blast.

I've got a Paint Mare, Pokie. When you first see her, you'll go oh that fancy horse won't do anything, but I'll tell you Woody, she work her heart out for ya. She's the one you want leading the trail ride because she'll go across any river or stream and up or down any hill. She's steady as a rock -- you can even shoot from her back and she won't even budge. I can put a picture up later.

We have a couple geldings out of her I could write a couple pages about, but her oldest, Mason, is a good barrel racer. He's young but real fast around the cans. We might be watching my wife at the NFR in a couple years. We'll see. Her youngest is competing at our Stock Show this Jan as a reiner. He's good, too.

We do have a lottery. It's a huge industry in Colorado and they need to do something to keep it organized. Never been turned down, but I'm not a venison fan so I hold out for an elk tag. We do give a wish list, but I'm still quite a ways away from where I want to be.

Woody, the place I drew is one of the most beautiful spots in America. You get back in there and you're surrounded by 13 and 14 thousand foot mountains, pristeen lakes and streams. No words for it, you just got to see it.

Shoot, I got to get ready for work.

09-19-08 06:41 AM
75 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD