I just had another call from one of those "I'm calling from the Computer Service Centre about problems with your computer" sweatshops.

(First, I know lots of people from India and Pakistan, and those cultures have produced some of the kindest and genuinely respectful people I've ever known... but seriously, these tools really REALLY do a disservice to international relations... but I digress.)

I got a call earlier today and I was just getting up so I just hung up.

But just a few moments ago, I've finished my work day and thought "I have time to keep this person tied up for a bit to spare another innocent soul from possible fraud..." but really, there are so many things I'd rather do, so, after a pause while I reasoned ^^^ that out, I said:

"I'm debating whether to keep you on the phone for 20 minutes or just hang up. Which would you prefer?"

He says "Sir, I'm not kidding you."

I says "No, you're lying to me and trying to defraud me."

He says "You think I'm kidding?"

I says "No, I think you're lying."

Then he says "Go to h*ll m10r" (work it out: like i18n is internationalization)

so I says "Oh, you're learning English".

Then he hung up.

I SHOULD have said "I bet you hear that a lot from the people you call", but I was too late :-(

What do you all do when you get calls like this?
    Prem WatsApp likes this.
    06-12-14 05:53 PM
    I look at the number and swipe to the right.
    06-12-14 05:55 PM
    I look at the number and swipe to the right.
    Oh, this was on my no-call-display land line (I refuse to pay $5 per month for call display: it's "free" in my mobile plan) so I just answer the very few calls I get and hang up immediately, mostly, when I get unsolicited calls.
    06-12-14 05:59 PM
    Keep em hanging on the line and make them think you're going to hand over your details (or even better give em some BS details)... and then finally tell em where to go before hanging up.

Z10STL100-2/10.2.1.3175
    06-12-14 08:29 PM
    The last one I got, I kept them on the line for a bit until it annoyed me too much. He had really loud background noise, so I was able to say, "I can't understand you" or "I can't hear you" a million times, and he would have to speak slower and louder, but goddamn was the accent so thick I still couldn't understand him. Eventually, it escalated to his manager, who had a slightly better accent.

He called while I was eating at a fast food place, so sometimes I would ask him to wait, put the phone down, have a few more bites and then talk some more. Then I started asking him which computer and OS was hacked, and either to say stuff like, "ha, I run linux", or, "I have 15 computers, which one?".

I think the next time I will make it sound like, "just a few more seconds for the trace to complete. And.. got it. I'll have my associate Gurmit from D-Company make a visit with you in person. He has no patience for a$$holes like you".

(Wikipedia says D-Company is like/the Indian mafia.)

I wonder if there is a way to blast a loud sound into the phone without me having to hear it or people around me. Just pressing buttons isn't loud enough. I'll check ebay for a fog horn.

Or maybe I will play dumb and make it sound like he's helping me, and see where things go. Whether they email a file, or tell me to go download something.
    06-12-14 08:56 PM
    My mom told then we don't have computers in our house. And he said:

"Yes you do"

Mom - "no, we don't have a computer in this house"

"Yes you do mam, and it's at risk of being hacked"

Mom- "Sorry, I think you're mistaken, I don't own a computer"

*hangs up*

Posted via CB10
    06-12-14 09:50 PM
    I just had another call from one of those "I'm calling from the Computer Service Centre about problems with your computer" sweatshops.

(First, I know lots of people from India and Pakistan, and those cultures have produced some of the kindest and genuinely respectful people I've ever known... but seriously, these tools really REALLY do a disservice to international relations... but I digress.)

But just a few moments ago, I've finished my work day and thought "I have time to keep this person tied up for a bit to spare another innocent soul from possible fraud..." but really, there are so many things I'd rather do, so, after a pause while I reasoned ^^^ that out, I said:

"I'm debating whether to keep you on the phone for 20 minutes or just hang up. Which would you prefer?"

Then he hung up.

I SHOULD have said "I bet you hear that a lot from the people you call", but I was too late :-(

Buy yourself a genuine referees whistle! When the nice man calls blow the whistle as hard as you can into the mic.

Guaranteed to burst the callers eardrum!

Don't ask me it's something to do with the frequency of the whistle and the digital sound enhancement of modern phones. It just works!
    06-13-14 06:36 AM

Then he hung up.

That "go to h*ll" thing wasn't nice.... you don't wish that to anyone.

As a bible believer, you can make a serious attempt at telling them the Good News of Jesus Christ. Sadly, they won't stay for long on the line.

Pull off the "Ray Comfort" thing...

Get them thinking....

Zzzzwiped from a Zedevice....
    06-22-14 06:27 AM
    Buy yourself a genuine referees whistle! When the nice man calls blow the whistle as hard as you can into the mic.

Guaranteed to burst the callers eardrum!

Don't ask me it's something to do with the frequency of the whistle and the digital sound enhancement of modern phones. It just works!
    Ouch, I got a German railway conductor's whistle, bought it over there many years ago .... I guess that will work...

They are wearing a headset, I assume, so no chance of taking the phone off the ear in a split second, they're gonna cop it full blast...

The only thing is....

"Do into others as you would be done by..."

Not a nice thing, this one.

Zzzzwiped from a Zedevice....
    06-22-14 06:38 AM