Sad news this morning: Phil Harris, captain of the Cornelia Marie fishing boat featured on Deadliest Catch, has died in Alaska. He was 53.

Harris suffered a massive stroke on Jan. 29 while the Cornelia Marie was in port at St. Paul Island, Alaska. The boat captain was flown to Anchorage for surgery.

"It is with great sadness that we say goodbye to our dad - Captain Phil Harris. Dad has always been a fighter and continued to be until the end," sons Josh and Jake Harris said in a statement on the Cornelia Marie site. "For us and the crew, he was someone who never backed down."

In a statement the network said, "Discovery mourns the loss of dear friend and colleague Captain Phil Harris. He was more than someone on our television screen. Phil was a devoted father and loyal friend to all who knew him. We will miss his straightforward honesty, wicked sense of humor and enormous heart. We share our tremendous sadness over this loss with the millions of viewers who followed Phil's every move. We send our thoughts and prayers to Phil's sons Josh and Jake and the Cornelia Marie crew."

He was my favorite captain loved that show. RIP
    02-10-10 07:46 AM
    That blows hardcore. Booooo...
    02-10-10 07:48 AM
    A dang shame! He was one of the few reasons I watched that show.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-10-10 11:53 AM
    Whatta shame. Rough way to make that final catch.

02-10-10 12:34 PM
    He was my favorite Captain.
    02-10-10 01:31 PM
    Wow I can't believe it. I love the Deadliest Catch show and watch it every season. I am sure going to miss him on the show.
    R.I.P
    02-10-10 05:40 PM
    I am also Very sad. He was a great guy on the show and you could tell his kids loved him.
    I wish he had stopped smoking and throwing down red bulls after his near death surgery because of that. I wish he had stopped all of that so we wouldn't be expressing our feelings for a fallen captain.

RIP

02-10-10 10:46 PM
    damn i like that show and sad to hear

R.I.P.
    02-10-10 10:58 PM
    Heard this on the radio today and it's def sad to hear.
    R.I.P.
    02-11-10 01:52 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD