L.A. NOW

Dead man slumped on balcony mistaken for Halloween decoration
    October 16, 2009 | 11:51 am

A 75-year-old dead man sat decomposing on his Marina del Rey balcony for days because neighbors thought the body was part of a Halloween display and didn�t call police.

Mostafa Mahmoud Zayed had apparently been dead since Monday with a single gunshot wound to one eye. He was slumped over a chair on the third-floor balcony of his apartment on Bora Bora Way, said cameraman Austin Raishbrook, who owns RMG News and was on scene Thursday when authorities found the body.

Neighbors on the 13900 block of Bora Bora Way told Raishbrook that they noticed the body Monday �but didn�t bother calling authorities because it looked like a Halloween dummy," he said.

"The body was in plain view of the entire apartment complex [and] they all didn�t do anything,� Raishbrook said. �It�s very strange. It did look unreal, to be honest.�

Officials with the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department could not immediately be reached for comment.

Coroner�s officials were called to the complex at 6:42 p.m. Thursday, according to Capt. John Kades of the county coroner�s office. Physicians will examine the body today to determine the cause of death.

-- Seema Mehta

Photo: KTLA

Link to story:

Dead man slumped on balcony mistaken for Halloween decoration | L.A. NOW | Los Angeles Times
    10-17-09 10:55 AM
    That's just.....wow...
    10-17-09 11:11 AM
    So did he win the award for scariest halloween decoration/display ever?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-17-09 11:32 AM
    So did he win the award for scariest halloween decoration/display ever?
    Hahahahaha!!! Now, thats just cold right there.
    10-17-09 11:34 AM
    Wow... I'm at a loss of words.

Somehow, I find it hard to believe that so many people really and truly thought it was halloween decor.
    10-17-09 11:35 AM
    Wow... I'm at a loss of words.

Somehow, I find it hard to believe that so many people really and truly thought it was halloween decor.
    Yeah, a lot of people don't want to "waste the time", so they ignore stuff like this. Typical city folk mentality. Tsk...Tsk
    10-17-09 11:39 AM
    holy freakin shizzzzz!!
    I didn't know what else to say, in fact my mouth is still dropped open from the shock!

10-17-09 12:44 PM
    I find it hard to believe no one called. They call about every single little thing around here.

10-17-09 11:27 PM
    Sad to hear, but it isn't as bad as the girl who hung herself in public on a tree right before Halloween and no one did anything because they didn't think it was a real body.

Forget where I read that but I remember people chirping her for being an *****...trying to get attention but doing it at a time when there are scary decorations everywhere?
    10-18-09 12:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD