... What was it like?

My story* (*lol this sounds like councelling):

This year I finally decided that enough was enough with Pay&Go and that I should do myself a favour and invest in a handset that was on contract.

After eyeing up the Nokia N97 and even the iPhone 3GS, I finally settled on my now beloved Bold 9000, on Vodafone (Unlimited Texts/Internet, 300 minutes etc)

Vodafone stated that they would be sending the handset & SIM through Royal Mail to my home address (For any US members who don't know, this is the UK's biggest mainland postal service). Anyway, RM were still under 'strike' action so Vodafone 'kindly' decided to change the courier to DHL without bothering to tell me.

I'm not at home during the day and RM usually leave packages in our conservatory after placing them through a small window. DHL attempted to deliver it but refused to even allow our neighbours to sign for it etc etc.

SO after 2 days of emails and calling, it was made clear that the only way I'd now get my precious Bold was to get all the way to the local depot. Now I'm using the term "local" quite loosely as I don't drive so it means relying on public transport.

Come the Saturday after my frantic week; 2 bus, train and taxi journeys (Essentially costing me �40/$55 just to pick it up) later and I finally had it. Upon opening it I was adamant that they had not given me the SIM card I had specifically ordered, later to find that it was wedged along the inside of the box against the side. Panic over.

A couple of months have past now and I'm still loving it even with the occasional trackball issue which is soon resolved after a bit of fiddling about (yes that sounds wrong)

So, what was yours like?

12-01-09 05:20 AM
    Somebody had to lose their job for me to get mine .... and eventually someone did, and I got my first one ... a Pearl 8100 in Black and I loved it ... I thought I was the mutts nutz with a BlackBerry in my hand blinkin away as if I was popular

Eventually I started to get more and more into my Berry, and wanted a better one, and grabbed the 8120 when it was released on O2 in the UK .... and I still wanted more ... and luckilly, the trackball died ... and under warranty I managed to blag my first Curve 8300 .... and took some time getting used to the qwerty ... but did .... and my journey has progressed along the Curve route since.

Going from 8300 to the 8310 ... and the 8320 on Sim free because I wanted it ... and then to the 8900 through work ..... and now, took delivery of my shiney new 9700 Bold on Friday 27th Nov 09, and that is me up to date at this time ...

Apps ahoy !
    12-01-09 05:32 AM
    Ordered it from a site hoping to receive it within a few days. After the few days passed I rang the company (premium rate) and they told me it was out of stock for a week. Longest week of my life.

Finally the day it was meant to arrive they delivered it to the wrong mail lodge on my campus so it was not until that night that I finally got it.

Was my first contract phone too, my previous phone was 6 year old PayG!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-01-09 08:27 AM
    The day I got my bb. What a day that was. I ordered it off of ebay. I waited about four whole days for it. The day it was supposed to come I was working. I asked my sister to answer the door or else it wouldn't be dropped off. She said she would take care of it since she would be home all day anyway. I called her around 5pm. Hoping that it got there. She said no. all my anticipation for that day went away, I felt comletely distraught. When I got home that night I found a usps notice. They were at my address with my package. No one was there to claim it. I got so angry. The next day I took the notice to the usps hq. They said it was at another location but had also already been picked up by a mailman. So what did I do? I junted the mailman (woman) down, got my package and went home and played with my berry till 4am

12-01-09 08:39 AM
    I always knew blackberrys existed but I always thought it would be too complicated , well before I got the Bold , I was using a sony ericsson (I'm still in love with sony ericsson's and have a couple lyring around as back up phones) . Went to the store and at the time they only had the Bold (which brand new then) , pearl and the old curve . I decided to go with the Bold . I specifically remember unboxing it and going like "what did I waste 800 USD on !!!!) .. The first few hours were full of regret but after I set up my email and got to know the features more , I became an addict in a few hours .

Note that this story happened a year ago and at that time , my carrier was just introducing blackberrys in the country (so I didn't know any friends or family who owned one) . Weeks passed and blackberrys became popular where I'm from .

1 year later and I'm with my bold 9700 ! Never been happier !

12-01-09 10:27 AM
    ... What was it like?

My story* (*lol this sounds like councelling):

This year I finally decided that enough was enough with Pay&Go and that I should do myself a favour and invest in a handset that was on contract.

After eyeing up the Nokia N97 and even the iPhone 3GS, I finally settled on my now beloved Bold 9000, on Vodafone (Unlimited Texts/Internet, 300 minutes etc)

Vodafone stated that they would be sending the handset & SIM through Royal Mail to my home address (For any US members who don't know, this is the UK's biggest mainland postal service). Anyway, RM were still under 'strike' action so Vodafone 'kindly' decided to change the courier to DHL without bothering to tell me.

I'm not at home during the day and RM usually leave packages in our conservatory after placing them through a small window. DHL attempted to deliver it but refused to even allow our neighbours to sign for it etc etc.

SO after 2 days of emails and calling, it was made clear that the only way I'd now get my precious Bold was to get all the way to the local depot. Now I'm using the term "local" quite loosely as I don't drive so it means relying on public transport.

Come the Saturday after my frantic week; 2 bus, train and taxi journeys (Essentially costing me �40/$55 just to pick it up) later and I finally had it. Upon opening it I was adamant that they had not given me the SIM card I had specifically ordered, later to find that it was wedged along the inside of the box against the side. Panic over.

A couple of months have past now and I'm still loving it even with the occasional trackball issue which is soon resolved after a bit of fiddling about (yes that sounds wrong)

So, what was yours like?

Oh man when you said the sim card wasn't there I felt so bad, it was like more than **** breaking loose on you. It was such a relief that you said you found it. Whew llol

12-01-09 11:35 AM
    My 9000 is the result of suffering for years with cheap or free phones and never being really satisfied. My wife at last sent me to the store to get a BlackBerry. I have enjoyed every minute since that decision was made.

In the store the phone was set up so I could spend time in the parking lot getting initial setup finished to suit my tastes. At home it took a call to ATT to finalize the deal. The rest of that first day was spent trying out the phone and exploring more of CB for information and apps. I was addicted from the very first hours.
    12-01-09 12:16 PM
    My last PDA was an ancient Sony Clie, but for the longest time it did nothing but gather dust. That's because for several years, I wasn't able to own a smartphone or PDA (or at least bring it with me into the workplace) because of a corporate security restriction. But I later learned that they relaxed their restriction, so I wasted no time in grabbing my Tour from the VZW web site.

I've never regretted my purchase. In my view, the Tour is a great machine that does even more than I thought it could ever do for me. Plus I now compare notes with my coworkers, many of whom now use BES-based 'Berries.
    12-01-09 02:50 PM
    Simple story for me. My Voyager hinge broke 3 days after I was due for an upgrade anyways. I had been researching the Tour for a while and knew I wanted it to be my first berry/smartphone. I didnt have the money for the phone, my dad loaned me the money and I went and picked up the Tour. Now Im addicted.
    12-02-09 04:57 AM
    wanted to get one after i heard how good they are..went on craiglist and bought one
    12-16-09 03:37 PM
    It was like Xmas morning in mid-July when I got my Tour! I called in sick to work just to make sure I was the 1st one to snatch one up. Brought it home and couldn't stop playing with all of it's functions.
    12-16-09 04:02 PM
    I went to my US cellular over thanksgiving weekend because they were having an all phones free sale. I walked out of there with an lg tritan on saturday. With us cell, you have to have a mobile internet plan that costs almost as much as the berry data plan. After a day of messing around with it and being generally unhappy with my tritan, I took it back and got my 8330, which I should have done in the first place. I will never go back to a normal phone. I love my berry and don't know why I waited so long to get it. oh and between the two days I waited in line, I was there for TEN hours. Totally worth it after I returned the tritan for my curve

12-18-09 07:52 PM
    The day I got my bb...from the first time I touched my curve 8330 I was definitely an addict. And I do mean addict. I ordered mine from ebay and couldn't stand the 3 day wait for it to be delivered. But when I finally got it I couldn't stop touching it. That first day I used it so much that I killed the battery 2 times!! LOL. I've had my buddy for a few years now and I still can't stop touching it. When I'm at home just watching tv...I can't go too long...and I'm doing something on it! LOL. Even if it's just checking email or changing my wallpaper because I'm bored. Actually I'll tell you how bad it is...it's so bad that...half the time my husband gets mad at me because I'm on it too much. If I could marry my blackberry I probably would. I think this is more appropriate...hi my name is Tammy and I'm a blackberry addict. And I probably do need help LOL. I even have this wallpaper that says: "if you think people with crackberries are annoying, you've never seen what they're like when the withdrawal symptoms kick in"

12-19-09 12:25 AM
    Got mine during a BOGO for ****s and giggles. Downloaded tons of pointless apps for the first few days haha
    12-19-09 12:26 AM
    One of the greatest days of my mobile life.
    12-19-09 12:38 AM
    i couldnt put it down!!
    12-19-09 09:40 AM
    The day I got my bb...from the first time I touched my curve 8330 I was definitely an addict. And I do mean addict. I ordered mine from ebay and couldn't stand the 3 day wait for it to be delivered. But when I finally got it I couldn't stop touching it. That first day I used it so much that I killed the battery 2 times!! LOL. I've had my buddy for a few years now and I still can't stop touching it. When I'm at home just watching tv...I can't go too long...and I'm doing something on it! LOL. Even if it's just checking email or changing my wallpaper because I'm bored. Actually I'll tell you how bad it is...it's so bad that...half the time my husband gets mad at me because I'm on it too much. If I could marry my blackberry I probably would. I think this is more appropriate...hi my name is Tammy and I'm a blackberry addict. And I probably do need help LOL. I even have this wallpaper that says: "if you think people with crackberries are annoying, you've never seen what they're like when the withdrawal symptoms kick in"

Got my first bb black friday and my wife gets mad at me every day since then about it always in my hands

12-23-09 10:18 PM
    Got my first blackberry after thanksgiving with the all phones free at us cellular. I picked the flip 8230. I did have a delve and hated it. My bf was getting the last tour so decided I should get a bb as well. I played around with it for ten or so days and decided I wanted more power and a slightly better resolution. Us cellular just got the 8530 and switched to that after playing with it in the store. I didn't get it for free though. I had to pay the $149 because it wasn't part of the us cellular promo. However, I am a happy customer! I love my new curve. I plan on sticking with bb for now on.

My bf gets mad at me because I clean my bb daily and take so much care with it, he trys to remind me its just a phone... But I don't see it that way. He's had blackberrys before so I don't think it phases him much. Also I get addicted to new gadgets.
    Last edited by Nalinith; 12-23-09 at 10:40 PM.
    12-23-09 10:38 PM
    I know my husband does too!! It sounds like your wife doesn't have a bb so she doesn't understand what your going through lol. I hope I don't step on anyones toes on crackberry...but I think my husbands jealous because he has a sucky iphone LOL.

Got my first bb black friday and my wife gets mad at me every day since then about it always in my hands

01-02-10 01:16 AM
    I'll tell two - mine & my wife's

I got mine almost 3 years ago when my Palm Treo had to be replaced under insurance. My carrier had decided not to carry the Palm line anymore and told me that my only choice was a BB8310. I was soooooo mad. I had fought getting an 'useless. expensive' blackberry for years and now I was forced to take one - for free no less. Well, within days, you could not pry me away from it - and I just upgraded my fourth time to a 9700 recently.

My wife basically believed that a cell phone should do only that. Then she discovered texting. Then her computer broke and she couldn't check her e-mail as often. Well, she finally gave in when I agreed to buy it for her as an early Christmas present in October. Now she's almost as bad as me on it.

(to give you an idea, we use I love Blackberry to check our usage and I average 4.5 hours each day while she averages a mere 4 hours)
    01-02-10 01:31 AM
    Awww mines just got here yesterday and im going to spend all day relishing in opening up the box, playing with my phone and reading everything about this beauty. I'm so glad I have the weekend off!
    01-09-10 05:56 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD