I just sent a resume to a job I found on craigslist via email. They email back within minutes that they want me to send a credit report to verify my work history. They even suggest creditreports4all.info (may not be exact web addy) to get a report. The email seemed pretty copy & pasted.

Is this normal? I know companies will check credit reports for a job sometimes, but it seems weird that they want me to send them one.

I dunno, it just seemed fishy.

T_H_C

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-23-09 05:57 PM
    That's very weird. Especially since they replied so quickly, sounds fishy!
    03-23-09 06:00 PM
    REPORT THEM. Most companies wanting a credit report purchase it themselves after you sign a consent or they will discuss it with you in an interview. If it looks like a duck and walks like a duck..........
    03-23-09 06:01 PM
    I don't see any reason an employer would need to know that information. At least, I have never heard of it.

03-23-09 06:03 PM
    I don't see any reason an employer would need to know that information. At least, I have never heard of it.

My former employer did their own credit check since we handled large amounts money they wanted to make sure you were going through a money crisis and we didn't owe them any money. A lot of cellular phone companies also do credit checks.
    03-23-09 06:06 PM
    Yeah, I thought if they wanted one they then they would go through the rig-a-ma-roll for it. So far they just have my contact info (prolly gonna end up w/ email spam), I'm thinking a credit report sent via email sounds too fishy. I don't think I'm going to send them anything else. Thanks for the quick responses.

03-23-09 06:14 PM
    Yeah I think I would stay away from this one...craigslist isn't exactly the safest place. I found my current pt job on CL though and it's great! I'd probably just keep looking...
    03-23-09 06:21 PM
    My employer pays for the credit report - a consent form must be signed by applicants and provided to the consumer reporting agency before we can get a copy of someone's report. If you look closely, most employment applications are also consent forms.

03-23-09 06:51 PM
    I just sent a resume to a job I found on craigslist via email. They email back within minutes that they want me to send a credit report to verify my work history. They even suggest creditreports4all.info (may not be exact web addy) to get a report. The email seemed pretty copy & pasted.

Is this normal? I know companies will check credit reports for a job sometimes, but it seems weird that they want me to send them one.

T_H_C

Yeah, I thought if they wanted one they then they would go through the rig-a-ma-roll for it. So far they just have my contact info (prolly gonna end up w/ email spam), I'm thinking a credit report sent via email sounds too fishy. I don't think I'm going to send them anything else. Thanks for the quick responses.

Most emails of this type usually fall under the category of "be afraid!" If the employeer wants it, they'll get it on their own.

The fact that this individual is on Craiglist is also something you may want to be careful of. I'd research this "company" before doing anything else with them.
    03-23-09 07:36 PM
    Any time someone asks for your SS# or a Credit Report and it's not part of your normal interview process, just pass on it.

If I'm not signing on the dotted line, with a date to start working, no one gets my SS# and can ask for criminal background check but they will need to forget a credit report unless it's a job dealing with be being in a vault or something of that nature.
    03-23-09 07:44 PM
    Good, I feel more justified in feeling weired out. Should I report the post to craigslist, as iobxchick suggested?

I really appreciate the input. Being unemployed is bad enough without getting scammed in the process...

03-23-09 07:55 PM
    Good, I feel more justified in feeling weired out. Should I report the post to craigslist, as iobxchick suggested?

I really appreciate the input. Being unemployed is bad enough without getting scammed in the process...

You have to report them if you feel in your gut that they are up to no good- not b/c someone else tells you too. Based on everything you've said, something about them made your hair stand on end or you wouldn't have been seeking guidance......so with that said- what does your gut tell you?
    03-23-09 08:07 PM

T_H_C

Its just some blackhatter trying to get you to sign up for a CPA offer. In other words they'll get paid if you fill out the credit report. There is no real job, they just spam classifieds like craigslist, get a whack of people to email them, and send them all the same reply and a few people will fall for it.
    03-23-09 08:17 PM
    I work for a company that does credit checks as part of the application process. I do not agree with this policy, however, the company is a huge and employs thousands. However, I would fill out information if I knew the company was reputable. I would not give this information out online, EVER.
    03-23-09 09:10 PM
    key word: craigslist

I would NEVER trust anything from there...period!
    03-24-09 07:30 AM
    I reported the link to abuse@craigslist com as a possible scam yesterday. They emailed me this morning that the link was removed.

I'm considering contacting the hosts for the email addresses as well (they used two different addy's from like gmail). I don't know if they will care, but it'd be cool to help truncate a scammer a little more (not that they can't instantly sign up for another email addy). *shrugs*

03-24-09 12:46 PM
    Also keep in mind a lot of companies use a third party company that does criminal and/or credit checks. These companies usually need to see you face to face with 2 pieces of I'd, usually dl and a cc. They get sent off to another company and the company will send them a report back saying yay or nay for credit and background. The reason that a lot of companies do this is because they don't really care what your credit score is as long as it clears your expectation and they don't want that in a file as a liability.

I would defn report to cl, no one. Is going to make you pay to work for them, and before you have an interview no way.

It might be just a script setup on the email account to reply to anybodies application with that generic email. Good thinking of being suspicious.

03-24-09 07:21 PM
    Depends on the job, If it deals with money....whether you handle it or will give it out in the form of settlements they will do it. Also, any law enforcement of any type will do this and make you get your own btw. You might want to do some research on the company before you submit your info though.
    03-25-09 02:55 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD