Ok, so a little bit of background. I'm moving to a bigger house (YAY!) anyhow, I thought it would be cool for me to sell a few items on craigslist for cheap and see what I could get before whatever I couldn't get rid of I would give to goodwill. (Never hurt to make a few bucks right?) I've done all the footwork, posted pictures of the items and gave full descriptions and what I was willing to take and not.

I have gotten nothing but emails and phone calls from people who ask things like if I can deliver or if it will fit in a sedan. The worst so far is people IMing me on my yahoo messenger (I used my yahoo email which I kept private in the ads) asking for my address and trying to low ball me some more. Just very stalkerish and down right creepy! Have you guys had any bad experiences with craigslist?
    03-12-09 02:54 PM
    When you sell stuff on Craig's list you get a lot of spam. I use Ebay- much better (and worth the fees IMO).
    03-12-09 02:57 PM
    When you sell stuff on Craig's list you get a lot of spam. I use Ebay- much better (and worth the fees IMO).
    Thanks for the advice, but I really just didn't want to do the whole ebay thing for just some random items like a dinning room table, lounge chair and odds and ends. I figured it someone needed something for 25 bucks it was a deal and to get rid of it faster.
    03-12-09 03:00 PM
    I have never sold anything on craig's list, but I have purchased a few things. I can't imagine trying to low ball anyone further for some of the stuff I found on there. I purchased a $1500 treadmill for $25 and an oak bed for my son for $30.

My parents have sold a few things like appliances and furniture. Besides people telling them that they were coming to get things and then never showing up they didn't have any problems.

Maybe you just live around creepy people and it is a good thing you are moving.
    03-12-09 03:03 PM

Maybe you just live around creepy people and it is a good thing you are moving.
    LOL, that comment seriously made me feel 100% times better and made me laugh so thank you for that. Actually I live right at the beach but I"m moving back in suburbia in those new master planned communities.

Also, dang a treadmill for 25 bucks! I would have been all over that deal as well.
    03-12-09 03:07 PM
    i sold my 8830 world on craigs list for 180 bucks. it took me 2 weeks of reposting it till i finally got someone who would buy it. Most people shopping on craigslist must not have money, just enjoy bother us.
    03-12-09 03:19 PM
    LOL, that comment seriously made me feel 100% times better and made me laugh so thank you for that. Actually I live right at the beach but I"m moving back in suburbia in those new master planned communities.

Also, dang a treadmill for 25 bucks! I would have been all over that deal as well.
    Glad I could help. Lol.

Yea, I lucked into that one. I had just quit my gym so I could save some money and looked on CL. It had been listed for a total of 2 minutes.
    03-12-09 03:24 PM
    No all my Craigs list dealing have been short and sweet.

Recheck your ads as one of them must have had your email address visible.

I'd ignore or make a form post for those asking to deliver or what it will fit in, Just state..."You want it, you come get it, heavy needs at least two people" or "I have a VW Bug and was able to get it home from the store in the original box"... something of that nature.

My address for Freecycle and Craigs list items, only go to those that will post a pick up date and time, everyone else pretty much gets ignored, if they can't follow the directions in the detailed ad posting.

Only a few have tried lowballing, and I just wish them luck on finding the item for that price. Then I refer them to the ad that says "FIRM".

One thing you can do if things really sound sketchy, is to have a guy there when they come, or just say it's been taken already.
    Last edited by BlkBear; 03-12-09 at 03:43 PM.
    03-12-09 03:39 PM
    Craig's list is completely ******** and I think it is like government cheese... it's for people who can't even afford the cheap store brand.

Sorry. Not trying to make it a money/class issue, but Craig's list is the ultimate buyer beware experience. No protection but what YOU bring to YOUR table.

Oops.. BlkBear and Roeod use it. I'm sure you make it work for you... but with ebay and a bazillion on-line retailers selling NEW stuff dirt cheap (got a new keyboard for my laptop for $25) ... If you get ripped off even one time with CL... the time and hassle and money have just killed your accumulated bargains.

I guess it's just a matter of what you are willing to put up with for a good deal.
    Last edited by jdoc77; 03-12-09 at 04:17 PM.
    03-12-09 04:15 PM
    Craig's list is completely ******** and I think it is like government cheese... it's for people who can't even afford the cheap store brand.

Sorry. Not trying to make it a money/class issue, but Craig's list is the ultimate buyer beware experience. No protection but what YOU bring to YOUR table.

Oops.. BlkBear and Roeod use it. I'm sure you make it work for you... but with ebay and a bazillion on-line retailers selling NEW stuff dirt cheap (got a new keyboard for my laptop for $25) ... If you get ripped off even one time with CL... the time and hassle and money have just killed your accumulated bargains.

I guess it's just a matter of what you are willing to put up with for a good deal.
    True fair enough, I can understand your statement.

I just wanted to get rid of some nice items for cheap. I figured someone could benefit from my wanting to get rid of stuff that was it. I just never thought I would be stalked upon the way I have.
    03-12-09 04:24 PM
    Surprised you havent gotten a response "If you send it to me in Nigeria, I'll send you one billion dollars."
    03-12-09 04:25 PM
    I seem to have a tendency to sound like a pompus ***... sorry. It wasn't a bad idea, but here's another idea, have a yard sale!?
    03-12-09 04:27 PM
    I seem to have a tendency to sound like a pompus ***... sorry. It wasn't a bad idea, but here's another idea, have a yard sale!?
    It's all good! Offense taken at all. People have a right to say what they want and I respect that.

I wish I could have a yard sale! I have no yard I would have done that in a heartbeat and had some friends help me and give them whatever money I made from it.
    03-12-09 04:39 PM
    jdoc; what a highly immature and simplistic commentary to make. You say you aren't trying to make it into a 'money/class' issue...well I would hope not; because utilizing Craig's List has NOTHING to do with money and class.

It moreso has to do with one's approach to how they value their money (irregardless of whether they're rich/average/poor); and it has to do with whether they feel more comfortable with being able to see and possibly purchase the item(s) in the span of a brief window of time.

There are opportunity costs to everything; BUT if you're comparing one avenue of buying/selling to another; such as you are (eBay vs. Craig's List for example)...you're making an apples to oranges comparison.

It's understood that the approach that is taken and commonly practiced using eBay's format; is entirely different from that of Craig's List's format.
    03-12-09 04:43 PM
    i sold my 8830 world on craigs list for 180 bucks. it took me 2 weeks of reposting it till i finally got someone who would buy it. Most people shopping on craigslist must not have money, just enjoy bother us.
    & most people posting on Craiglist NEED the money!
    03-12-09 04:50 PM
    At least you're not one of those who meets people on Craigslist and then complains the guys are psycho, there was a thread not to long ago about it...
    03-12-09 04:54 PM
    At least you're not one of those who meets people on Craigslist and then complains the guys are psycho, there was a thread not to long ago about it...
    SD, I was online looking for the XBOX 360 Wireless Racing Wheel & I couldn't find it anywhere; sold out all over. During my search, it popped up on CL- had only been posted w/In seconds.

I contacted the seller; we exchanged maybe 2 emails & several phone calls (I got lost trying to find his place) & w/In an hour of his posting, I had the racing wheel.

In his case, he badly needed the money & let it go for $25. Talking to him on the phone, this guy sounded way cool- but when I actually met him & his girl, I was thinking....WTF? They gave nuts a whole new meaning.

I gave him more than the $25 b/c it had barely been used & I make enough money to be generous. He & his girl had recently lost their jobs.
    03-12-09 05:08 PM
    Yep, you never know who's really on the other end, hahaha
    03-12-09 05:11 PM
    I've sold a laptop, Treo, washer/dryer, sofa set and other items on Craigslist without a hitch. Sorry to hear you are having problems. I hope you enjoy suburbia.....I'll stick to the beach.
    03-12-09 05:13 PM
    Really? I wouldn't think of using CL to meet people. Ack!

I've sold a laptop, Treo, washer/dryer, sofa set and other items on Craigslist without a hitch. Sorry to hear you are having problems. I hope you enjoy suburbia.....I'll stick to the beach.
    Maybe you can help me then! ha ha! As much as I love the beach I won't miss all the drunk people walking home at 2am from the bars every night. They call the part of the peninsula where I am the "war zone" for a reason. (its right by all the bars)
    03-12-09 05:28 PM
    Got a date off CraigsList, NEVER, EVER, EVER again!!!!!!
    03-12-09 05:57 PM
    Not surprised by these stories. Not after hearing about this little gem...

Actually cannot go into details - NSFW or kids - do a search for craigslist super mario. Oof!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-12-09 06:33 PM

Actually cannot go into details - NSFW or kids - do a search for craigslist super mario. Oof!

OMMFG!!!! Seriously WTF is wrong with people?!?!?!?
    03-12-09 07:03 PM
    OMMFG!!!! Seriously WTF is wrong with people?!?!?!?
    I second that... I sooo shouldn't have googled that at work... WOW!!! LOL, I know it said NSFW but I couldn't resist.
    03-12-09 07:10 PM

WOW!!!! I read that & my jaw dropped.
    I will NEVER think of Super Mario in the same light again.
    I feel violated! I need a shower!!
    03-12-09 07:16 PM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD