Some fun for those of hanging around OT.

My wife and I were rooting through some boxes in the basement and found this complete Best Buy add from December 18, 1997.

Need a good deal on a TV. All TV's 32" and up $1,999.00.
    Attachment 69107

Get your Sony Discman for $119.99.
    Attachment 69108

Need a pager or cell phone?
    Attachment 69109

How about a PC or laptop?
    Attachment 69110

Don't forget your organizer.
    Attachment 69111
    08-06-10 11:39 AM
    i could srsly stir the pot on this one..... i'll let it pass.
    08-06-10 12:51 PM
    In the Spirit of Crackberry Timewarping.......

08-06-10 01:39 PM
    I forgot to mention that no digital cameras existed.
    08-06-10 01:43 PM
    i remember the clear cased pagers were the ish!
    08-06-10 03:09 PM
    Woah man slow down with that 200 mhz computer! Shiz blazing fast!
    08-06-10 03:19 PM
    Crazy how even our cell phones can out power FULL SIZED PCs now a days.
    Last edited by xxxxpradaxxxx; 08-06-10 at 03:45 PM.
    08-06-10 03:42 PM
    we have more technology in our BB's than the first space capsule had...supposedly.
    08-06-10 03:54 PM
    we have more technology in our BB's than the first space capsule had...supposedly.
    from what i under stand, there is more GPU in a Nintendo GameBoy then what put the first man on the moon.
    08-06-10 04:31 PM
    from what i under stand, there is more GPU in a Nintendo GameBoy then what put the first man on the moon.
    yeah, i heard that as far as computers in the capsule went it equaled the same as a calculator. WTF? yeah, put a stick of dynamite under me and blast me off hundreds of thousands of miles into space on the sheer faith of geeks with a slide-rule!
    08-06-10 04:50 PM
    That's how things should be. Doesn't matter what the technology is, we should be able to rely on competent people to solve problems.
    08-06-10 07:25 PM
    Found a copy of Computer Shopper from Sept. 1997. GOOD LAWD!! the prices

08-07-10 12:49 PM
    This thread is awesome. Still waiting for some pics of 8bit game consoles though.
    08-07-10 09:41 PM

Last edited by middbrew; 08-07-10 at 10:12 PM.
    08-07-10 10:05 PM
    Moral of the thread. Some people have needed to clean their basement for a looooooooong time.
    08-08-10 08:39 AM
    Ten Things You Didn't Know About the Apollo 11 Moon Landing | Popular Science

Ten Things You Didn't Know About the Apollo 11 Moon Landing

1. The Apollos Saturn rockets were packed with enough fuel to throw 100-pound shrapnel three miles, and NASA couldnt rule out the possibility that they might explode on takeoff. NASA seated its VIP spectators three and a half miles from the launchpad.

2. The Apollo computers had less processing power than a cellphone.

3. Drinking water was a fuel-cell by-product, but Apollo 11s hydrogen-gas filters didnt work, making every drink bubbly. Urinating and defecating in zero gravity, meanwhile, had not been figured out; the latter was so troublesome that at least one astronaut spent his entire mission on an anti-diarrhea drug to avoid it.

4. When Apollo 11s lunar lander, the Eagle, separated from the orbiter, the cabin wasnt fully depressurized, resulting in a burst of gas equivalent to popping a champagne cork. It threw the modules landing four miles off-target.

5. Pilot Neil Armstrong nearly ran out of fuel landing the Eagle, and many at mission control worried he might crash. Apollo engineer Milton Silveira, however, was relieved: His tests had shown that there was a small chance the exhaust could shoot back into the rocket as it landed and ignite the remaining propellant.

6. The "one small step for man" wasnt actually that small. Armstrong set the ship down so gently that its shock absorbers didnt compress. He had to hop 3.5 feet from the Eagles ladder to the surface.

7. When Buzz Aldrin joined Armstrong on the surface, he had to make sure not to lock the Eagle's door because there was no outer handle.

8. The toughest moonwalk task? Planting the flag. NASAs studies suggested that the lunar soil was soft, but Armstrong and Aldrin found the surface to be a thin wisp of dust over hard rock. They managed to drive the flagpole a few inches into the ground and film it for broadcast, and then took care not to accidentally knock it over.

9. The flag was made by Sears, but NASA refused to acknowledge this because they didnt want "another Tang."

10. The inner bladder of the space suitsthe airtight liner that keeps the astronauts body under Earth-like pressureand the ships computers ROM chips were handmade by teams of little old ladies.

Craig Nelson uncovered these facts in various NASA archives while researching his new book, Rocket Men (Viking; $28).
    08-08-10 08:47 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD