Maybe its just me but as of late the atmosphere here on crackberry has started to become rather rude and unwelcoming. What happened to "if you don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything at all"? Come on guys! Stop jumping down eachothers throats at every little thing! Stop being rude to newbies who ask a question that has been answered a million times before! Remeber when you were new to blackberry and I'm sure had to ask some "silly" question? All of us who are more knowledgeable with our devices should be happy to help others less knowledgeable. That is what the forums are for. Let's all just chill out relax and help eachother. I'm no angel when it comes to cb.com believe me! But I think we all have to just take a step back chillax a little and go with the flow. My 2 cents. Take it for what its worth.

Thank you,

BW

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-30-08 08:43 PM
    I absolutely couldn't agree more.
    There's just no reason to be like that. It does seem like we're starting to move away from the friendly, helpful community that CrackBerry.com is known for. I've said this numerous times on here - If you don't like a post or feel it's too repetitive to answer, then don't. Someone will answer the question soon enough if you just move on.

Here's the "Basic Member Conduct" guidelines, just as a refresher.

Play Nice, Be Helpful, and have Respect!

This means keep the language clean, keep your posts polite, and don’t get into arguments over dumb things. If somebody responds to a thread you posted in poor fashion, ignore it, and the moderation team will quickly clean it up (you can always message or email a moderator at any time if you observe anything that is in poor taste/against the rules). Think back to what your parentals and teachers used to lecture - if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all.

Always remember that we are all unique and at different levels here - some of us are experienced BlackBerry users and forum junkies, while others are just starting out. If you’re on the experienced side, have patience for those just joining in on the fun and be helpful. With a little patience and a little help they won’t be newbies for long. Also remember that it is our differences that keeps this place interesting. If everyone was from the same place and at the same experience level it would be boring. This is a worldwide community united by a common interest - our love, or addiction as some would call it, for the BlackBerry!

Last edited by Chaz; 06-30-08 at 09:09 PM.
    06-30-08 08:58 PM
    I agree 100%. I have seen so many heated and rude posts lately. I hope this turns around. The atmosphere has changed drastically since I joined in march. I think the thing that bugs me the most is the newbie posts. Instead of people just rudely telling them to "use the search function" maybe someone could provide a link for them to follow. I feel bad when I look at a thread and see fellow crackheads in a heated argument. Why can't we all be friends?

06-30-08 09:16 PM
    I've noticed a little bit of a negitive tone on here..i havnt been around long.

Messege board communities are a funnie thing.

I have been on many many different message boards over the years. Some boards are small enough you get to know eachother by your real names insted of just your user names.

You can meet the most amazing people on there, but the bigger the board gets the harder it is to find and make those friendships.

Ive been greatful for CB who have provided me with some wonderful answers from great people.
    06-30-08 09:46 PM
    Ahh--yes, I've been here for awhile and what I think we are seeing is the adolescence of the crackberry forums.

I've seen it sooo many times before on many of my forums. I was a mod for a baby birth forum for long time and my LORD! you want to see an uproar over every little thing.... We lost members because of the breast/bottle debate...

Anyway-Here's what I predict we will see soon;
    1. A big ol' forum war
    2. A ton of threads labeled "I'm leaving"
    3. Off-shoot boards for 'like-minded' crack addicts.
    4. Board returnees coming back cuz they can't stay away
    5. Maturity finally and future flame-wars get snuffed before started.

Oh and also--mods will be doing double duty with all the pm's from members thinking so and so and so need to be banned.

I love forums.

In the end--the board (in about year) will mature to adult-hood and it'll be fine.
    06-30-08 09:54 PM
    I have only been on the boards for a few weeks, but the attitude here has become a bit negative since I first joined. I enjoyed the welcoming community it was a few weeks ago, and I hope we take a step back and remain that way!
    06-30-08 09:55 PM
    p.s. Big Kudo's to BerryWhite for posting this--and in the right forum even. LOL!!!!!

I plan on being around and ignoring the controversial stuff. I'll even step up my post count by providing those friendly links instead of assuming 'someone' else will do it.
    06-30-08 09:59 PM
    Ahh--yes, I've been here for awhile and what I think we are seeing is the adolescence of the crackberry forums.

I've seen it sooo many times before on many of my forums. I was a mod for a baby birth forum for long time and my LORD! you want to see an uproar over every little thing.... We lost members because of the breast/bottle debate...

Anyway-Here's what I predict we will see soon;
    1. A big ol' forum war
    2. A ton of threads labeled "I'm leaving"
    3. Off-shoot boards for 'like-minded' crack addicts.
    4. Board returnees coming back cuz they can't stay away
    5. Maturity finally and future flame-wars get snuffed before started.

Oh and also--mods will be doing double duty with all the pm's from members thinking so and so and so need to be banned.

I love forums.

In the end--the board (in about year) will mature to adult-hood and it'll be fine.

hahaha its SO true.

i was on this irish forum..and they ALWAYS had huge wars..it was a fairly small forum.. with only a handfull of regular posts..but these wars were HUGGEEE
    finally someone said enough is enough..packed up adn created his own board..took with him half the members.
    then..somewhere along the line that member started CHARGING to use his board.
    some what crazy.
    06-30-08 10:01 PM
    im afraid this is becoming a problem.i havent been here long. however in the last few months ive noticed replies getting ruder and ruder. some even being nasty.during this time i have also noticed some of the most helpful people on this forum laying low.
    i enjoy this forum and while the same questions do get asked frequently this is one of the many reasons this forum is here. to answer all questions. any question is going to be redundant to someone. but no question is redundant to everyone. simply not responding to a question is a much better approach than a rude or hateful comment. a few of which i will probably get for posting this. however, this is simply my opinion.
    06-30-08 10:14 PM
    Wah! Grow a set, for God's sake. Use the d*m search function. These people aren't being rude. They have just developed a low tolerance for stupidity! Welcome to reality!

06-30-08 11:51 PM
    o this will pass anther forum im in just went through this it just kinda went away on its own (or the major problems got to go on "vacation")
    07-01-08 12:15 AM
    I was very active for a couple months then took about a month off. In that time a lot has changed. I do think a lot of it is all the BIG new things happening for berry with the bold and 4.5 and all that goes with it. It's like family Christmas. The whiney kids are all "I want it tooooo" and go crazy until they can get someone to give them a link or whatever. Hopefully everyone grows up a little and we can all play nice. And regarding newb questions, iwe can't get our post count up unless we have those questions to answer! Have fun everyone!

07-01-08 12:24 AM
    Wah! Grow a set, for God's sake. Use the d*m search function. These people aren't being rude. They have just developed a low tolerance for stupidity! Welcome to reality!

It's not a matter of "Growing a set", and it's not stupidity. Not only is every member here at a different Blackberry level, each is also at a different level at using forums. I really don't see a problem with recommending to someone to attempt a search, but I don't see a need to only reply with "use the search function" and not try to answer the question. Most of the repeat questions are easy to post a link for or just answer outright. Let's at least make an attempt to keep these forums as friendly at 200,000+ members as it was at 15,000 when I joined. We want (or it should be everyone's goal) CrackBerry to stay the friendliest, most knowledeable, and largest blackberry forum on the web.

07-01-08 07:00 AM
    I became a member here at the end of last year...

one of the reasons i spent ANY time on here at all was the fact that there were SO many people who were willing to be helpful and share what they knew...

I developed my own policy of learn it-try it-teach it...where if someone taught me something, and it worked...i would teach the next person to come along who had the same question...

I assume most of us are willing to help to a certain degree...

what I have noticed is a lot of people who show up to crackberry for the first time thinking "i just got a new blackberry and i have a question and i need it answered now....!!" With the number of blackberrys being sold at a record pace (anyone remember what I said about the pearl coming to verizon?) the site has more than doubled in just a few months time... and we all know it only takes a few bad apples to spoil a bunch...

I think its up to us (the "long time" posters on CB) to help the mods out... maybe if we keep encouraging people to work together and keep reminding them of the forum policies as Chaz has...we can keep things from getting out of hand...

-db
    07-01-08 07:29 AM
    It's not a matter of "Growing a set", and it's not stupidity. Not only is every member here at a different Blackberry level, each is also at a different level at using forums. I really don't see a problem with recommending to someone to attempt a search, but I don't see a need to only reply with "use the search function" and not try to answer the question. Most of the repeat questions are easy to post a link for or just answer outright. Let's at least make an attempt to keep these forums as friendly at 200,000+ members as it was at 15,000 when I joined. We want (or it should be everyone's goal) CrackBerry to stay the friendliest, most knowledeable, and largest blackberry forum on the web.

i agree with you 100% Chaz. not only that, but sometimes when people are in a hurry, they don't have time to search the forums. they start a new thread, because when somebody replies, they get an email notification. atleast that's what i do. that is if i'm in a hurry.
    07-01-08 11:20 AM
    oh DB, I've missed you so! I agree with all here that are taking the moderate line of thought.
    07-01-08 01:09 PM
    I was very active for a couple months then took about a month off. In that time a lot has changed. I do think a lot of it is all the BIG new things happening for berry with the bold and 4.5 and all that goes with it. It's like family Christmas. The whiney kids are all "I want it tooooo" and go crazy until they can get someone to give them a link or whatever. Hopefully everyone grows up a little and we can all play nice. And regarding newb questions, iwe can't get our post count up unless we have those questions to answer! Have fun everyone!

I agree with this analysis 100%...big changes are coming and some people can't wait patiently and they feel they have to tell everyone, every day.
    07-01-08 01:30 PM
    Great post! I love this site, but everyone has been up in arms lately, I have learned so much here, and even made a few great friends, I agree with DB on teaching what you have learned. If I have time, I look up the links to help out... Heres to hoping everyone chills just a little!
    07-01-08 01:36 PM
    From Sista Sledge
    "We are family" I got all my peeps w/me
    BE KIND and HELPFUL and above all keep smiling
    If you can't respond nicely -- than DON'T respond at all
    07-01-08 01:40 PM
    I completely agree with the OP. People that start threads have to now give a little heads up saying "hey i searched for this but couldn't find it...." just so they don't get chewed out for asking a repeat question.

Unfortunately the ones that are being rude (im sorry to say) are the guys/girls that have been on the site the longest. The ones that are geniuses, gods, etc. If you are really that irritated by someone posting a repeat question... don't respond to it at all. Let someone else do it. I'm sure the OP of the thread wouldn't mind being directed to the already established thread... but in a nice way.

These people posting nasty/rude ("lack of tolerance" if thats what you wanna call it) comments are ruining the fun, helpful nature of the forums. AND they are adding to their post count by making these comments...

I love this site... but CB was just a nicer forum last year
    07-01-08 02:21 PM
    Unfortunately the ones that are being rude (im sorry to say) are the guys/girls that have been on the site the longest. The ones that are geniuses, gods, etc. (
    ^^The only part I have to disagree with. The rest is true.
    07-01-08 02:26 PM
    I just read through that silly trooper typing/spam thread, I have to say some of the rudest were long standing posters, but on the other hand some of it was kinda funny.
    07-01-08 02:28 PM
    Not pointing a finger at you Chaz... you always seem very helpful
    ...which is always appreciated!
    07-01-08 02:30 PM
    To me, this whole thing is just a simple philosophy, and DB hit on it in his post. People come here not knowing a whole lot (for the most part), Search, ask or read to get answers to their questions, and learn more and more as they go. The more you read here, and the more you mess around with your BB, the more knowledgeable you become. Then, the more comfortable you get answering questions from the newer members.
    "Pay it forward".

The other part of it is just common courtesy. Two corny sounding sayings come to mind.

1) Treat others as you would like to be treated.
    2) Nothing nice to say - then don't say a darn thing.
    07-01-08 02:41 PM
    To me, this whole thing is just a simple philosophy, and DB hit on it in his post. People come here not knowing a whole lot (for the most part), Search, ask or read to get answers to their questions, and learn more and more as they go. The more you read here, and the more you mess around with your BB, the more knowledgeable you become. Then, the more comfortable you get answering questions from the newer members.
    "Pay it forward".

The other part of it is just common courtesy. Two corny sounding sayings come to mind.

1) Treat others as you would like to be treated.
    2) Nothing nice to say - then don't say a darn thing.
    I agree 100%, seems simple, a lot of times I think most problems arise when someone makes a sarcastic comment meant as humor and somebody gets bent over it. Just growing pains in a quickly growing community. As a general rule I read most of the board post occasionally and USUALLY ignore the posts from people who do nothing but whine about stuff there is no fix. It's pretty simple really...lol
    07-01-08 02:47 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD