K9JPP from IL here. I am an extra and would love to have some ham apps. Maybe some one can copy some Iphone apps to blackberry.
    04-29-09 02:18 PM
    Guess there are two of these threads, this one being the older (will link shortly...).

@ Cybercam - nice format haha
    kd8bkb de n2clb copy you 5x9 5x9 on my bb 8820
    Anyways, KC8OMU here, Cleveland, Ohio. 73's
    04-29-09 02:24 PM
    K6TDL in SoCal here.

I got my license so I'd have emergency communication when off roading in remote locations out of cell range. I'm getting ready to head out next week across Southern Utah which is a huge Verizon dead zone. I'd like to get a machine readable repeater directory that I could put on my SD card in my Curve. usrepeaters.com works with Opera Mini but does me no good if I'm out of cell range. Any pointers to a pdf, text file, or csv formatted file with repeater lists would be greatly appreciated.

K6TDL
    05-22-09 04:40 PM
    try looking here

://wireless.fcc.gov/uls/index.htm?job=transaction&page=weekly...
    05-23-09 02:15 AM
    KE5EUA here.

Michael in Louisiana. Might have to get the sdk and write my own program for the BB.
    06-01-09 10:52 AM
    Here is KD4DRA...South Carolina
    Check me IN and Out
    73s
    KD4DRA
    06-24-09 07:53 AM
    KD7DEY Tech is Washington. Tech at age 16 in 1998. I too would like to find some general ham apps for my curve.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-25-09 01:35 AM
    KD7DEY Tech is Washington. Tech at age 16 in 1998. I too would like to find some general ham apps for my curve.

Good to see younger folks ... I was a Tech at age 15 (in 2000)!
    06-25-09 02:14 PM
    W9MKA, Robert - Henry County, Indiana
    06-29-09 03:16 AM
    Hello,

I'm ki4jj in south Florida. I'm looking for any interesting ham radio apps for blackberry.
    07-09-09 10:55 AM
    Wowzers had no idea I so many hams had blackberries and were on the cb forums (that sounds wrong).

KB5ZHT here, lake jackson TX..... Grid square EL29.

Anybody here qsl through bbm?

73's

07-22-09 05:58 AM
    kc7vlu from idaho falls. I have been a tech for about 12 years. I just got a storm in may love it so far.
    My barcode for bbm 5.0 is attached.
    07-22-09 06:01 AM
    KD8DNS Im a tech for several years now

credentials include

ARES
    RACES
    SKYWARN
    FULL-TIME FIREFIGHTER

73's
    07-22-09 08:40 AM
    KD5YFS here, from Fort Worth, TX former ny state resident. name is John. I've been a tech since '03
    07-23-09 10:49 AM
    I'm general class...... I love 75m. I of course work 2m and 440 on the salt grass link which pretty much covers half of Texas or more.

Add me guys pin 3053CA28.

Kb5zht

07-23-09 08:49 PM
    MW6SLW here.
    Nice to meet you guys, I am looking for some Ham for my BB too. It seems to do everything else!
    I have added some of you guys to my phone, hope this is Ok.

My PIN is 2105872A

I am active on 20meters and 40meters from Wales in the UK. I often speak to the USA.
    BB for only a week !

Simon
    07-26-09 02:57 PM
    DE KC0JUX Steve, I am In Iowa, I have US Cellular and I think they suck as far as allowing new apps on their service....
    08-03-09 07:42 PM
    Hey all. Don't know why I haven't posted in here yet. I've been a ham for less then a year. Love the hobby, having a blast learning new things. BBM me anytime. Always up for a qso no matter the band.

-Eric
    KE5YOT

08-03-09 10:04 PM
    I don't know of any current Ham apps. You can access DX Summit and monitor the DX Spots on the DX Cluster via the web.

Also try bbscanner. It includes various Ham repeaters around the country.

NT6X
    08-14-09 12:23 PM
    KC2DHH on Long Island in NY. Been a tech since '98, haven't touched the radios much in the past few years, but looking to getting back into it again and getting some new radios.

08-14-09 08:53 PM
    N9SVU, Bill, here in Vancouver USA.

Some ham apps would be great!
    08-30-09 02:08 AM
    Let me introduce my self: Martin, M0GHC, UK obviously
    08-30-09 03:41 PM
    KJ6BNJ in Huntington Beach, CA USA and a Storm user. I just got my Technician ticket last month and I'm studying for my General ticket right now.

I'm also a Java programmer and would love to collaborate on some HAM apps for the BB. To start, I was thinking of a Morse code training app based on a subset of the functionality of the G4FON Koch Trainer. Apps for EchoLink I'd also be interested in writing too. It's sad that there are no BB HAM apps at sourceforget.net.
    09-06-09 03:10 PM
    de KC2UUZ. Joe In New Jersey Here. Just got my BB on Saturday Last. Haven't found anything yet. Other than a neat CW ring tone, on this site. search for morse code in the ring tones section.

09-08-09 10:18 PM
    Hello to my fellow hams! you can look me up on qrz.com, kd5mhm.
    Just got my Bold on Friday. As a certified programmer, I couldn't stand it and had to learn to write a couple of test apps. Much to my surprise they worked. More to learn about programming these things but my 40 years of programming background help me move forward rapidly.

So, who wants their Blackberry to do what, exactly? All the vague suggestions here aren't detailed enough to even begin writing an app, but they are very inspiring.

I'm interested in programming, absolutely free, any ham-radio-related app. You will never be asked for money by me. (Q & A follows after)

If you want me to try to turn your idea into an app, let's do it like this:
    1. Send me an email with your best, simple description - privately, to my email address - and that will get a dialog between us started.
    2. You and I will thrash out the details so that we have a clear, final description of the app features, etc.
    3. When we think we're ready, I will attempt to create the app.
    4. You will help with the alpha-testing to see if it works in your unit. Sometimes there are differences programming for older devices and we may need to experiment. I only have my little Bold unit to test with.
    5. When we're ready, we'll ask for some more testers. Nothing makes me more disgusted than to get software that should not have ever been released because it is buggy junk.
    6. When we're ready, we'll release the beta for public testing. You and I will work out a prelimary user's guide to go with the beta app.
    7. When we're ready, we'll release the version 1.0 of our app for all to enjoy.

Q & A
    Why work together privately first?
    This is how I've worked with my clients for over 30 years and old habits die hard. Too many cooks spoil the broth. We will be trying to create -your- vision of the app and we don't want that diluted. And many other reasons too.

Why do you have to help?
    Two heads are better than one. It is your vision we're trying to build into an app. I can't do everything alone. I need your help testing. You deserve credit right along with me when we build this great app and everyone raves about it. I need your help with the user manual. You have a different perspective and inspire me to do a better job from the beginning. And many other reasons too.

Why do we need to work out the description first?
    Too many programming projects are so ill-defined that they are "black holes" and suck everything into a single project for the rest of your life. Another problem with poorly-described projects is "feature-creep", where everytime I turn around someone wants another feature and another feature and another feature and... If we can't put the ideas into simple descriptions, they aren't thought out enough to even begin programming. Projects of the "Black-hole" type never get finished and neither of us end up happy with a job well done that our fellow hams enjoy. And many other reasons too.

Why would you do this free programming, Scott (HamBerryTx)?
    I love programming, and have been doing it since 1969. I'm too far gone to stop now. Programming challenges are like fingerprints and I like variety. I've developed lots of free stuff for friends and many large commercial applications and I enjoy it. I get a big internal reward for a job well done. My current job doesn't let me program at all and I don't want to lose all my skills. My son is taking a java class in high school and if he helps out I just might get him his own Blackberry. I love ham radio and I also didn't find any apps and I think there should be. I like HF (the logging idea sounded neat), I enjoy packet ops, sat ops (what is needed in an AmSat app?), APRS, Amateur TV, Skywarn, ARES/RACES, etc. I imagine a need for apps in all these areas, but what exactly? I'd like to have an Emergency Coordinator with experience help me define an app for that task rather than guess and make another junk program. As a ham and a scout leader, I believe in "supporting the community". Ya never know, the life that Skywarn ham saves using a properly-crafted app just might be my son's...

How to get started:
    Take your idea and write it down. If you can't write it out you're probably not ready yet. If you have any other similar application on any platform, (PC, Palm, Mac, mainframe, etc) take a good look at it for inspiration.

In any existing application, regardless of platform, there are strong points and weak points. Take a look for the strong points and improve on the weak points. If you have other apps, even non-ham, look at how they work to get inspiration on good screen design, ease of data entry, cool features, etc. If you really like something in one program, perhaps it will be good in yours.

Bear in mind that a Blackberry is not a Mac or PC in your hand. It is much more limited in memory, processing power, screen area, etc. Your thoughts on your app should focus on the absolutely necessary features to meet your goals, so there is a chance it will fit in your hand.

I program for the Windows environment also. If needed, we may create a program for the PC that can do more great stuff with info from the app. For example, a logging program may need a way to capture the data to the PC in a format suitable for your favorite PC logging program and/or easy electronic log submission (cabrillo format). A full logging program probably would never fit into a device, and screen size would probably make it very difficult to use like a big PC program.

Thanks for reading this far!

Scott
    kd5mhm
    kd5mhm (mail "at" symbol goes here) clearwire.net
    four32-638-5993
    Last edited by HamBerryTx; 09-12-09 at 10:09 AM.
    09-12-09 10:04 AM
107 12345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD