Hello CrackBerry community,

TLDR: I have a job offer in Vancouver, Canada and trying to negotiate the salary. I need your advice about cost of living (tax, transportation, housing, etc.) there to consider if the offer is good enough to relocate.

Recently I passed an interview with Amazon Vancouver and they are giving me an offer.

Since I have no Canadian friend, it just suddenly came to my mind that our CrackBerry community indeed has a lot of people from Canada, so I'm sure you know much better about cost of living in Vancouver than me, given I'm from Vietnam.

So please be so kind and advise what the cost of living is and how much the tax is. Any additional notes are also very welcome.

FYI, I'm single and gonna go there alone.

Thanks a lot!

Posted via CB10
    anon(870071) likes this.
    05-05-17 05:29 AM
    Paging @Elite1
    05-05-17 06:03 AM
    To live comfortably I'd say 4000+/month. Accomodations is very expensive as we have a housing shortage. Renting a one bedroom apartment downtown will run you about 2000$ a month as downtown rentals are the most expensive. The cost of living here is the highest here compared to any other Canadian city. However the job opportunities are pretty good here for young professionals. You'll prolly spend about 200$ week on food. About 120$ month on transportation if you don't drive. It's easy to get around Vancouver via transit. Taxation is 12%, 5% on services. There's no tax on rent, medicine, eyeglasses contacts,etc. I'm from Vancouver and Amazon is an amazing company to work for but I also hear the second group interview is the most challenging. Good luck. Message me we can chat. Come to the BB Meetup this Sat.
    Last edited by cellphonejunkey; 05-05-17 at 06:29 AM.
    pkcable and Uzi like this.
    05-05-17 06:16 AM
    Still pretty early in the morning in Vancouver BUT I'm sure @Elite1 and others will chime in shortly on this.

Thanks @cellphonejunkey
    05-05-17 08:07 AM
    Taxation is 12%, 5% on services. There's no tax on rent, medicine, eyeglasses contacts,etc.
    Thanks a lot @cellphonejunkey! I passed the second group interview already. Now they're giving me an offer but I think it's still kinda low. Regarding the tax, is it only 12%? I heard in Canada you have to pay both federal and provincial tax for your income, is that true?

Let's say they're giving me 8000 CAD a month, then how much is my net income?

Thanks again.

Posted via CB10
    05-05-17 09:04 PM
    Thanks a lot @cellphonejunkey! I passed the second group interview already. Now they're giving me an offer but I think it's still kinda low. Regarding the tax, is it only 12%? I heard in Canada you have to pay both federal and provincial tax for your income, is that true?

Thanks again.

Posted via CB10
    Average income tax deductions are about 30%,congrats.
    05-06-17 02:19 AM
    Average income tax deductions are about 30%,congrats.
    Google the deductions as they come off each pay cheque. You get a certain amount oh holiday pay, CCP is deducted for old age security, etc.
    Keep all of your moving receipts as they can all be written off as work expenses. Hope this helps.
    05-06-17 02:24 AM
    If you plan on moving your life to Canada you will then be considered a resident and will have to pay income tax like any resident. You can very easily find personal income tax rates for federal and provincial, yes you need to pay both. It's a marginal tax rate so first 40k or so will have a low rate and then as it progresses the rate increases. Obviously there are plenty of ways of reducing your tax, but since youre alone I doubt you will have access to the majority of those.
    05-06-17 10:32 AM
    North Vancouver resident here.

Don't want to scare you, but the cost of housing here is completely out of control. In my neighborhood (Central Lonsdale), you are looking at over $400,000 for a 600 sq ft condo built in the 1970's that doesn't even have in suite laundry.

The price of general goods and services is high but pretty much on par with the rest of the country. Gas and car insurance is also ridiculously expensive. Within the greater Vancouver area, there is a 10 cent "transit tax" added to every litre of fuel purchased.

Traffic in this area is also horrible.

Posted via CB10
    05-06-17 10:39 AM

Thanks again.

Posted via CB10
    You pay federal, provincial, and sales tax. You should net about $6K

http://www.ey.com/ca/en/services/tax...6-personal-tax

RedBerry Passport / 10.3.3.2205 / Telus
    05-06-17 01:54 PM
    Can you get a good pint of Guinness? :-)
    LeeU1911 likes this.
    05-06-17 03:11 PM
    You pay federal, provincial, and sales tax. You should net about $6K

http://www.ey.com/ca/en/services/tax...6-personal-tax

Thank you for the link. Very helpful and easy to use.

Posted via CB10
    05-06-17 07:28 PM
    North Vancouver resident here.

Don't want to scare you, but the cost of housing here is completely out of control. In my neighborhood (Central Lonsdale), you are looking at over $400,000 for a 600 sq ft condo built in the 1970's that doesn't even have in suite laundry.

The price of general goods and services is high but pretty much on par with the rest of the country. Gas and car insurance is also ridiculously expensive. Within the greater Vancouver area, there is a 10 cent "transit tax" added to every litre of fuel purchased.

Traffic in this area is also horrible.

Posted via CB10
    That sounds scary. I'm not sure if it's a good decision to relocate half the globe only to save about 2000 CAD a month, assuming I get $8000 / month salary = $6000 net, on rental and spending ~ $4000 as @celphonejunkey estimated.

It's an exciting opportunity but on the other hand, tax and cost of living are so expensive based on what everyone said.

Posted via CB10
    anon(870071) likes this.
    05-06-17 07:36 PM
    That sounds scary. I'm not sure if it's a good decision to relocate half the globe only to save about 2000 CAD a month, assuming I get $8000 / month salary = $6000 net, on rental and spending ~ $4000 as @celphonejunkey estimated.

It's an exciting opportunity but on the other hand, tax and cost of living are so expensive based on what everyone said.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah this city has been completely ruined by foreign investors. Rich Chinese people who want keep their money out of China, have bought up all of the houses here just as a way to keep their money safe. 99% of them never even set foot on the property. And our stupid government allows this to happen.

So in response to this, the average person can only afford a condo. So the prices on those have also gone through the roof.

I hope the big earthquake happens soon here and levels everything. Then we can just start over.

Posted via CB10
    05-06-17 07:47 PM
    Yes Vancouver is one of the most expensive citys to live in, In Canada. However, job opportunities are pretty good here for young professionals. Like I said, 4000$ a month would give you a comfortable lifestyle. And Vancouver is also one of the most beautiful cities here in Canada.
    05-07-17 12:04 PM
    Cost of living in Vancouver, BC, Canada-15440470_10154740634877744_1193327421955486696_o.jpg

Here is a pic of Vancouver I took In December. The view is from Queen Elizabeth Park. A long long time ago (30million yrs ago) that was a volcano and the park is actually the mouth of it. See how beautiful Vancouver is!?
    Last edited by cellphonejunkey; 05-07-17 at 07:03 PM.
    LeeU1911 likes this.
    05-07-17 12:36 PM
    Yeah this city has been completely ruined by foreign investors. Rich Chinese people who want keep their money out of China, have bought up all of the houses here just as a way to keep their money safe. 99% of them never even set foot on the property. And our stupid government allows this to happen.

So in response to this, the average person can only afford a condo. So the prices on those have also gone through the roof.

I hope the big earthquake happens soon here and levels everything. Then we can just start over.

Posted via CB10
    Those filthy rats have started doing it in Toronto and the GTA too, housing prices are skyrocketing here because of them
    05-07-17 01:01 PM
    As the sellers/buyers markets go up or down, so does the rental market. Renting and buying anything central to the city core is very expensive. ALot of Vancouverites live out of the central downtown core and commute in to work daily. Myself included. 10 years ago I was living in a brand new one bedroom condo in the stadium district and I was paying 1600$ /month rent.
    However buying is a entirely diffrent story. Last year I was looking at a town house, 3 bdroom, two washroom. There was nothing under 575,000$ in the central Vancouver area. Farther out in the suburbs it was marginally less but still mostly what I was looking for was in the 600.000$+ range. Its partly due to foreign investors and a housing shortage.
    05-07-17 07:08 PM
    It really is a beautiful place.

However those costs are real worries for me. And in case if I ever want to settle down in Vancouver with family and stuff, it'll get worse.

I'm trying to deal with Amazon to see if I can get a better remuneration package, otherwise, I would pass this opportunity then.

Thank you all for extremely helpful replies though!

Btw, just another small question, what is the chance for a Vietnamese like me to get a Permanent Resident status (like green card in US, I don't know what Canadian term for it is) if I accept Amazon offer and let's say work for them for some 3-4 years?

Posted via CB10
    05-08-17 02:50 AM
    It really is a beautiful place.

However those costs are real worries for me. And in case if I ever want to settle down in Vancouver with family and stuff, it'll get worse.

I'm trying to deal with Amazon to see if I can get a better remuneration package, otherwise, I would pass this opportunity then.

Thank you all for extremely helpful replies though!

Btw, just another small question, what is the chance for a Vietnamese like me to get a Permanent Resident status (like green card in US, I don't know what Canadian term for it is) if I accept Amazon offer and let's say work for them for some 3-4 years?

Posted via CB10
    Canada operates under a points system. The more points, the better your chance of qualifying (eg: French/English, age, education, etc etc).

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...ly-factors.asp

I think a PR card is a bit easier. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/newcomers/about-pr.asp
    05-22-17 07:06 AM