Samsung has long been accused of copying iPhone designs, Hyundai often gets accused of copying Honda and Toyota, and for those two for you who ever MMO video games, Korean MMO's have been accused of ripping off the big western MMO companies for years. I'm genuinely curious, do you think this is just a subconscious cultural personality, or do you think it's more of an openly accepted and deliberate business practice in Korea? By the way, this is a discussion over the business philosophy and practice of different cultures, so let's keep the racial comments out of it please. It shouldn't have to be said, but sadly someone inevitably would go there.
    08-29-12 10:35 AM
    This has been the norm for many years, so long as it did not look exactly like the product.
    08-29-12 10:46 AM
    At least the above are not as blatant as the Chinese company that makes a BMW X5 rip off. BMW took the company to Chinese court & the judge eventually favoured the Chinese company hehe.

With all touch screen phones, they're bound to look very similar.
    08-29-12 11:23 AM
    Are phones supposed to be circles or triangles or heart shaped (didn't a company tease this on April Fools?) just because Apple has a rectangular phone patent?

And icons must be organized in a unorganized fashion
    08-29-12 11:28 AM
    I'm not saying if Apple was right or wrong in their lawsuit, but I'm almost sure they've done some "copying" over the years and a lot of it
    08-29-12 11:32 AM
    Are phones supposed to be circles or triangles or heart shaped (didn't a company tease this on April Fools?) just because Apple has a rectangular phone patent?

And icons must be organized in a unorganized fashion
    The Sabre Triangle Tablet
    The Pyramid tablet by Sabre | OfficeTally

Kia's vehicles look like Jaguars now - the Optima looks a lot like the XF
    08-30-12 06:04 AM
    Well, I say its all just grade school squabbling in my opinion...thing is, if someone has a toy you want, and they won't give it to you, what do you do? Most kids I know would start something...and whatever stopped the fighting is usually what was done about it...sad I know, but true.
    08-30-12 11:46 PM
    i can see the hyundai:honda/toyota comparisons in some of their older models, but now-a-days, not so much. it isn't just koreans that steal design cues, look at the chrysler 300. some pretty big styling cues ripped from rolls-royce and bentley i'd say...

you could say the american designed subcompacts are copying japanese and european small car design as well.

there are some chinese automakers that outright steal different european/american designs. but the thing is, due to a lot of new automotive safety regulations, you're going to start to see cars looking more and more a like...

(the irony of typing this on a samsung laptop that is a pretty much a blatant ripoff of a macbook pro...)

having said all that, isn't imitation the highest form of flattery?
    08-31-12 10:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD