A few weeks ago I was given a Windows Vista home basic upgrade package since I've enrolled in school and my family wanted to try to help me out. For about a week it seemed to actually speed up my computer a bit. The last 2 weeks however it has been a nightmare. Opening any browser and doing the littlest tasks result in the system freezing up from the CPU useage being at 100%

I would love to downgrade back to Windows XP, but every method I have tried has failed miserably. I have done the old CTRL F11 at startup, even saw that vista has an open in the F8 menu at startup. Neither have helped me restore my crappy computer back to the crappy but useable old self it was.

If anyone can point me into a direction that could help make my computer even semi usable I would be most grateful.

I'm using an old Dell Dimension 1100/B110 <- I entered my service tag on dell's web site and it gave me that. I don't know which code (1100 or B110) is actually the correct one. Dell's support has been utterly useless. Calls result in them telling me my warranty ended in 2006 and then they promptly hang up on me.
    10-08-10 04:17 PM
    Do you have the original restore discs that shipped with the CPU/tower? I am sure you may have considered the previous, but one never knows when accessing a public forum.

BTW, you didn't see your sig on my profile at some earlier date, did you? I read that line in a book written about 15 years ago and have used it here before.
    10-08-10 09:48 PM
    Nope I don't have the original restore cds. Dell never sent them to me. BUT I finally got a hold of someone in Dell and complained majorly about the disrepect and rudeness of the employees and they are now sending me the cds at no charge so I'm pretty happy. Thanks for offering help!

I found the quote in a farmville forum actually lol.
    10-08-10 10:28 PM
    And you do know how to format your hard drive, right?
    10-08-10 10:41 PM
    I would format the hard drive using a GParted Live CD. It's the easiest thing to use. It's much like other disk partitioning utilities. Choose NTFS and make sure it's set as a Primary partition and NOT a logical type, or you'll have problems.

Also, if you want to avoid windows problems (malware/viruses/trojans/spyware/security issues/windows genuine DISadvantage), try this instead: Ubuntu homepage | Ubuntu

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-09-10 02:00 AM
    i would just backup all your important data and reinstall xp (or linux). depending on what you're using your computer for, i'd go to ubuntu. i had it on my laptop (the harddrive just died..i think. rootbrian do you know a lot about ubuntu?) and an older desktop before and i liked it a lot. and it runs very well on older/slower machines.

when you reinstall xp (or whatever os you get) there is an option/you are forced to reformat your hard drive. after windows is done doing its thing, do a windows update asap. or if you feel comfortable enough, you could slipstream sp3 and any other updates/drivers to a new installation disk. after that's all done, install malwarebytes, spybot s&d and an antivirus. i like avg free.

if you're really set on keeping this computer, have you thought about buying some more ram, if it's not already maxed out?
    10-09-10 04:28 PM
    I use AVG free as well. I actually have 1gb of ram in route as well as the cds from Dell (at no additional charge). Hopefully this clears up for me.

Thanks everyone for tips and help
    10-09-10 07:55 PM
    i would just backup all your important data and reinstall xp (or linux). depending on what you're using your computer for, i'd go to ubuntu. i had it on my laptop (the harddrive just died..i think. rootbrian do you know a lot about ubuntu?) and an older desktop before and i liked it a lot. and it runs very well on older/slower machines.

when you reinstall xp (or whatever os you get) there is an option/you are forced to reformat your hard drive. after windows is done doing its thing, do a windows update asap. or if you feel comfortable enough, you could slipstream sp3 and any other updates/drivers to a new installation disk. after that's all done, install malwarebytes, spybot s&d and an antivirus. i like avg free.

if you're really set on keeping this computer, have you thought about buying some more ram, if it's not already maxed out?
    Pertaining to the hard disk issue inside the laptop, is the disk making a CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK, pause, CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK whenever it's powered on?

If so, you will have to simply to go a tech store to get a new replacement (or refurbished) hard disk. The people can take out the old and put in the new one, then you can put ubuntu on it. That should fix the disk issue.

If ubuntu is slow, (this is rare, I only encountered it once with my desktop), go to System > Administration > System Monitor. Click Resources and don't touch the trackpad or mouse, watch and see if there is any spikes in cpu usage or constantly on 100%. This is usually caused by file transfers or a runaway process not even shown by the process manager. This is rare for it to be doing this. Since I'm not an expert on this or linux, the best bet is to look on the ubuntu community forums. I had to in order to get a mounting issue fixed (nothing would mount when plugged in),

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-10-10 03:05 AM
    When I had a Vista PC and had to go back down to XP I had to reformat the harddrive first and then I used an XP disk to re-install Windows XP.
    10-10-10 01:28 PM
    If you use the setup disks from Dell it will automatically re-format your hard drive. You'll want to tap F12 as it boots with the disk1 in the drive and choose CD as the boot device.
    10-13-10 12:24 PM
    I got it done last night. Thanks
    10-13-10 12:29 PM
    If you don't have the disk you can torrent a disk and burn the ISO to a disk. Your old XP product key will work as long as you download the same version of XP (Home, Pro, ect.)
    10-14-10 07:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD