A motherboard is laminated and has 4-6 layers. It's very hard to crack inside the layers.

Last week I had my computer desktop (ITX) shipped internationally as I've relocated continents. It wouldn't turn on once I received it. The PSU received power but when I pressed the power button connected to the motherboard, nothing happened. So I reconnected all the cabling, still nothing.

Took it to a professional IBM certified computer repairer and left it with them. They dismantled it and tested all the parts on their workbench. Only the motherboard wouldn't work no matter what they attempted. So they did some indepth diagnostics including using a X-Ray or whatever tools they use and discovered cracks between the layers of the motherboard.

Apparently the damage is quite unusual and pretty impressive. Nothing se had any physical damage to its exterior or interior. The computer tower has no marks or damage to it and it was secured properly in the padded box .

So yeah RIP currently my glorious shrine

Posted via CB10
    01-20-15 12:19 PM
    Sorry for your loss. Heat, cold, heat, cold?
    01-20-15 08:28 PM
    It is known to happen when in an unpressurized baggage hold, at 32K up in the air. The layers got compressed and stress levels were high.

Time for a new one!!
    01-20-15 08:49 PM
    I find it extremely hard to believe that once they determined that the motherboard was non-functional (which would take a few minutes) that they spent any more time on a two or three hundred dollar item (at most, wholesale). X-ray? LOL!

At a hundred dollars an hour, how much time do you think they would spend on it? How much did they charge you for this CIA-grade examination? That will tell how long they spent on it. If they charged you nothing, then they spent virtually no time on it.

They are bull****ting you. Either file a warrantee claim or buy a new motherboard and move on.
    01-20-15 09:20 PM
    Shipping insurance...?

Get the IBM PC boffins to issue a statement (that it's transport damage), and hope for the best. ACT FAST... !

Good luck... :-)

  2015 - already in full swing - berry good ...  
    01-21-15 10:02 PM