How would one start a class action lawsuit against Monster for their headsets not working on a product they say does?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-28-11 09:45 AM
    First they have to refuse to refund your money.
    09-28-11 10:00 AM
    You call a lawyer, the same thing you'd do if you wanted to sue anyone.
    09-28-11 10:46 AM
    I was looking at headsets. So monster isn't good?
    09-28-11 11:41 AM
    You first have to exercise all remedies available to you... return, refund, replace, etc. Then the amount has to exceed a boatload of $$ in order to ever make it to the federal level:

Class action lawsuits may be brought in federal court if the claim arises under federal law, or if the claim falls under 28 USCA 1332 (d). Under 1332 (d) (2) the federal district courts have original jurisdiction over any civil action where the amount in controversy exceeds $5,000,000.

(I'm not a lawyer but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once)
    09-28-11 12:56 PM
  6. T
    I'm lol at
    (I'm not a lawyer but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once).
    09-28-11 02:56 PM
    also, one person does NOT a class action suit make
    09-28-11 03:01 PM
    How would one start a class action lawsuit against Monster for their headsets not working on a product they say does?
    Just out of curiosity, what would make a person jump from "this dern headset doesn't fit my BB when they said it would" directly to "I'm gonna start a class action suit" without first returning it to the retailer and/or contacting Monster?? Is there a long, dramatic part to this story that we weren't filled in on?
    09-28-11 03:35 PM
    ^^ Finally someone asks the question I was wondering.

09-28-11 03:41 PM
    Just out of curiosity, what would make a person jump from "this dern headset doesn't fit my BB when they said it would" directly to "I'm gonna start a class action suit" without first returning it to the retailer and/or contacting Monster?? Is there a long, dramatic part to this story that we weren't filled in on?
    Yeah, I always love these. I guess they think it's easier than winning the lottery.
    09-28-11 04:42 PM
    You wouldn't start a class action lawsuit, just a lawsuit. Assuming you tried to resolve it through other remedies and that your damages exceed the filing fee for smallclaims court, which both sound unlikely. If there were enough people putting forth the same claim, you may be able to be certified as a class and bring a class action suit.

It will probably take years to resolve. If the damages aren't going to be big, good luck trying to get a lawyer to take it on contingency which means out-of-pocket expenses that you might recoup, only if you are victorious.

I know Monster stuff is expensive, but I can't imagine they sell a pair of headphones that warrant the time and money to pursue this. Not to mention, they are historically very litigious and would churn out a lot of attorney time for you to pay for, either theirs or yours.
    09-28-11 05:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD