Yes...It's true...read on

Pee power! In a world first, UK scientists claim to have developed a novel method to charge mobile phones - using human urine.

Scientists working at the Bristol Robotics Laboratory have described the "breakthrough" finding of charging cell phones using urine as the power source to generate electricity.

"We are very excited as this is a world first, no-one has harnessed power from urine to do this so it's an exciting discovery. Using the ultimate waste product as a source of power to produce electricity is about as eco as it gets," Dr Ioannis Ieropoulos from University of the West of England (UWE), Bristol, an expert at harnessing power from unusual sources using microbial fuel cells, said.

"One product that we can be sure of an unending supply is our own urine. By harnessing this power as urine passes through a cascade of microbial fuel cells (MFCs), we have managed to charge a mobile phone. The beauty of this fuel source is that we are not relying on the erratic nature of the wind or the Sun, we are actually re-using waste to create energy," said Ieropoulos.

He said so far the microbial fuel power stack that scientists have developed generates enough power to enable SMS messaging, web browsing and to make a brief phone call.

"Making a call on a mobile phone takes up the most energy but we will get to the place where we can charge a battery for longer periods. The concept has been tested and it works - it's now for us to develop and refine the process so that we can develop MFCs to fully charge a battery," he said.

The Microbial Fuel Cell (MFC) is an energy converter, which turns organic matter directly into electricity, via the metabolism of live microorganisms, researchers said.

Essentially, the electricity is a by-product of the microbes' natural life cycle, so the more they eat things like urine, the more energy they generate and for longer periods of time; so it's beneficial to keep doing it, they said.

The electricity output from MFCs is relatively small and so far we have only been able to store and accumulate these low levels of energy into capacitors or super-capacitors, for short charge/discharge cycles.

This is the first time we have been able to directly charge the battery of a device such as a mobile phone and it is indeed a breakthrough, researchers said.

So cool....!!

Posted via CB10
    07-17-13 01:38 PM
    I just peed on mine and nothing happened
    07-17-13 01:41 PM
    Nice try...!!!

Posted via CB10
    shaleem likes this.
    07-17-13 01:42 PM
    All this talk of peeing has made me go to the bathroom.

Posted via CB10 on my Z10!
    07-17-13 01:45 PM
    See, now you've just gone and confused Bear Grylls.

He's not sure whether to **** on his phone for angry birds or to drink his own ****.

Posted in the pooper
    07-17-13 01:53 PM
    Is he getting pissed off?

See, now you've just gone and confused Bear Grylls.

He's not sure whether to **** on his phone for angry birds or to drink his own ****.

Posted in the pooper
    Undbiter65 likes this.
    07-17-13 05:53 PM
    Is it April 1st?

Posted via CB10 on my Z10 featuring BBM Channel C0002FE04
    07-21-13 09:46 AM
    This is really interesting!
    Imagine the amount of water we would save!

Z10? Why yes it is.
    07-21-13 09:50 AM
    I'm gonna go pee on the nearest iPhone.
    sleepngbear likes this.
    07-22-13 10:18 AM
    I'm gonna go pee on the nearest iPhone.
    I've actually done that. I caught someone trying to shoot pics beneath the bathroom stall while I was happily whizzing away. Big mistake.
    07-22-13 10:10 PM
    Gives new meaning to "**** on" or "**** off" when holding a phone.

Posted via CB10
    07-22-13 10:38 PM
    I've be holding down the "p" key on my Q10 and it isn't doing anything? (okay, dumb shot at humor). Sorry folks.

Verizon BlackBerry Q10
    07-22-13 11:06 PM
    There was a tread about unlocking your phone with your tongue. THIS is the reason why you should NEVER try!

From Zed to U via CB10
    07-22-13 11:13 PM
    There was a tread about unlocking your phone with your tongue. THIS is the reason why you should NEVER try!

From Zed to U via CB10
    E pluribus unum.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using CB Forums mobile app
    07-22-13 11:39 PM
    Yeah,escuse me sir,I have to make a call,would you pee on my phone?
    shaleem likes this.
    07-23-13 11:01 PM
    "We are very excited as this is a world first, no-one has harnessed power from urine to do this so it's an exciting discovery. Using the ultimate waste product as a source of power to produce electricity is about as eco as it gets," Dr Ioannis Ieropoulos from University of the West of England (UWE), Bristol, an expert at harnessing power from unusual sources using microbial fuel cells, said.
    Wonder why

So I guess in the future, instead of "10 cups of water a day" it'll be "100 cups of water a day". What if you have two phones, dayum
    shaleem likes this.
    07-23-13 11:51 PM
    Give your phone to a girl. They always pee in groups. Kinda like a quick charger!

From Zed to U via CB10
    shaleem and Gatmyer like this.
    07-24-13 12:13 AM
    Give your phone to a girl. They always pee in groups. Kinda like a quick charger!

From Zed to U via CB10
    Oh lord. I can see the pick-up lines now.

Posted via CB10
    shaleem and Undbiter65 like this.
    07-24-13 04:07 PM
    Excuse me ma'am, but would you mind pissing on my phone? I need to make a long distance call. LOL!
    sleepngbear likes this.
    07-24-13 04:11 PM
    Sorry guys, they totally lost me when they called pee the ultimate waste product. I mean really, how are you supposed to take anyone that uninformed seriously.
    07-24-13 04:22 PM
    Excuse me ma'am, but would you mind pissing on my phone? I need to make a long distance call. LOL!
    Imagine if you owned a camel - you could charge your phone and it would last for years!
    shaleem likes this.
    07-24-13 05:00 PM
    I've be holding down the "p" key on my Q10 and it isn't doing anything? (okay, dumb shot at humor). Sorry folks.

Verizon BlackBerry Q10
    Lol it's pretty corny but still funny

Posted via CB10
    07-24-13 05:14 PM
    Seriously... I peed on mine and got electrocuted

Posted via CB10
    07-24-13 05:22 PM
    Seriously... I peed on mine and got electrocuted

Posted via CB10
    Man, I hate when that happens! When is BlackBerry going to shape up and fix that!? Every time I pee on my z10, I get zapped, my phone reboots, and then it's still dead! To make matters worse, my battery is dying FASTER now!

Oh well. I'll just try a new 'leak'. Hopefully that'll fix it

Get it? :P
    shaleem and Undbiter65 like this.
    07-31-13 05:03 PM
    Points for the last one! LOL

From Zed to U via CB10
    shaleem likes this.
    07-31-13 07:11 PM
31 12