I live in Alabama in tornado alley. Everthing wiped out. No power of course. Rationing food and gas. Just got Tmo back. No phone service for three days which sucked cause no one knew if we're dead or alive. No way to charge my 8100 except I rigged it up to my daughters 6v power wheels scooter. Luckily it still had some power cause she rides it all day long. Anyways, I know its not the best way to charge it , but has anyone done that before? How long do you think the phone will last charging that way? The BB battery is swelled a little, but I don't care, I had no other choice. I needed to establish contact with family. Thanks. If I don't reply soon then you know it wasn't such a great idea

And yes I talked to my family to let them know me and my 2 year old daughter are all right.

When the tornadoes first touched down, I couldn't make any phone calls or texts, but the only thing that worked was freaking BB Facebook app! I was like, you got to be kidding me. We're getting hammered with tornadoes all by my house and the only contact with the outside world for those last few minutes of phone service was facebook.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-29-11 11:34 PM
    Now trying to find a way to charge the 6v battery.

04-30-11 09:37 AM
    Glad you're safe...that's got to be pretty terrifying. I went through hurricane Francis in Florida a few years back but I imagine a tornado has to be worse.

Could you charge your phone from your vehicle?

04-30-11 10:45 AM
    Can I suggest using some form of a dynamo charger? if you have an old electric motor, you could hook up the terminals of it to the battery and rotate it slowly or fast enough to charge the battery. But be careful, the input amps will be the output, so slow rotations per minute (I shocked myself trying that before, but I charged the battery through the DC socket using alligator clips that later burned up on their own). Be careful when doing so, you won't want to destroy the battery!

@john_v, 12v will cause the battery to vent and explode, not a good idea at all.

@pearlthemes 6V xxxx mAh was probably overkill for the 3.7v 1150 mAh battery, it's double the voltage and that's why it was swollen.
    Last edited by Rootbrian; 05-03-11 at 05:46 AM.
    05-03-11 05:42 AM
    Best thing would be to find a car charger... even if the donor car is un-driveable, it would likely still have battery.
    05-03-11 11:00 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD